TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
carwreckblonde Offline
Average Joe

Name: vicki

Can anyone help? - January 21st 2015, 09:17 PM

Hey there, I need some advice/help.

I've had depression since I was 14 but only last April decided to accept the anti depressants I was being offered by my doctors. Also had been see a CPN at my local mental health team, but I have now moved and living in a new place.
Yesterday I went to my new GP to have my anti depressants changed as I felt they were doing absolutely nothing for me. My new doctor has now said that maybe it isn't depression I have and now wants to send me to a psychiatrist to possibly get on mood stabilisers. She's refusing to refer me to a new cpn and to give me anymore medication.

I guess I'm just confused. I've spent the past 6 months finally trying to accept that I have depression and to stop being in denial about it, and now I'm being told that I might not be depressed at all... I don't understand, everything I've been feeling since I was 14 years old is the definition of depression, especially the last few years as I've got a lot worse.

This thing about mood stabilisers is also worrying me, as usually there for people who suffer from bipolar disorder from what I have read.
There was a link to something called borderline personality disorder, so I read up on that, and now I'm convinced, that this is what my doctor sees.
Every single symptom listed is what I feel everyday. Especially self harming ect.
I just don't understand how two doctors and mental health professionals can disagree like this.

I guess my question is, has anyone had any similar experience with their GP and if anyone has ever taken mood stabilizers, how did they make you feel? If I'm honest this is all terrifying me.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help and apologises for wasting everyone's time!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
......nobody Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Can anyone help? - January 22nd 2015, 12:44 AM

Honestly, it was rough going for me the first time I took a mood stabilizer - they hadn't given me the right one at the time, but now 3 pills later I feel like a changed woman. I love my mood stabilizing medicine now - lamictal and abilify.

As for two doctors disagreeing, that's extremely common in the medical field, that's why patients get second opinions, because what one doctor thinks, another may not.

I suggest that you see the psychiatrist, they're the best person to figure out what exactly is right and wrong for you, because they specialize in disorders of the mind - including depression!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
carwreckblonde Offline
Average Joe

Name: vicki

Re: Can anyone help? - January 22nd 2015, 11:54 PM

Thank you for your reply! Means a lot.
I guess I was just worried as to how the mood stabilisers will affect me if they decide that what I need to be on.
Yeah you are right, I am going to see the psychiatrist. I suppose it's better than just leaving it and never getting better. Just so terrified of being labelled I guess.
I hate how people change around you and sometimes drop you from their life just because you have a mental illness.
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply!
I feel a bit better now.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
......nobody Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Can anyone help? - January 23rd 2015, 12:26 AM

Good, I'm glad you're feeling better And don't worry about the labels - not everyone need know your business besides your family, and you don't have to tell anyone you are seeing a psychiatrist unless you want to.

Also, we are always here if you ever need anything else or if you would like to keep us updated, feel free to post on the thread again

Closed Thread