TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

When people do not believe something is wrong with me - April 17th 2015, 07:01 PM

People constantly say things like "well you know there is nothing wrong with you" or "what do you mean you have a disability" or they outright laugh and say "haha, there is no way you have ADHD" or what ever as if it is a big joke.

They don't realize how debilitating having to have anxiety has been for me. They don't realize how barely a day goes by where I am not worrying about things that don't "exist" (AKA worrying about everyday things that aren't problems). They don't realize how I'll get so "sick" that I literally shut down and become unable to do my work and that when I get worked up and upset about things that I am not trying to be a drama queen or irrational, that I know that I am "obviously" not going to be unemployed later or what ever else I am carrying on about - they don't understand that telling me "not to worry about things which haven't even happened yet" will not accomplish anything because once I am done happening about the present everyday things, I start worrying about all those other things that are coming up even 6 months from now.

Just overall people don't get it, they don't understand how I can rarely, if ever, relax, even when my anxiety is not maxed out. Trying to sit and watch a movie and do nothing else would bother me.

When people look at me, they see someone who is successful, has 2 degrees, is well read, interesting, intelligent, open-minded, compassionate, and has a wide range of interests. They probably see my faults too, but I see no sense in getting into that because I am sure you all see where I am going with this... They refuse to see how easy it is for me to become distracted, or how a lot of the things I do are driven by anxiety. They won't believe it, they refuse to believe that multiple mental health professionals (yes, multiple) definitely think that I have to live with "moderate" or "significant" anxiety - the choice of words exist, but never once has it been "mild" "normal" or anything else like that....

I've had to deal with it for years, and it's not that I want people to think I am some kind of dysfunctional person, but I also hate how dismissive people are of something that is a real and daily challenge for me. I am starting to understand how people view mental health, and that how people view it is why they do not believe someone like myself, a very high functioning successful person, can be affected by something they consider dysfunctional and low-functioning.

Does anyone have any tips about getting through to people who are dismissive?

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#2 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: When people do not believe something is wrong with me - April 19th 2015, 07:36 AM

Unfortunately, depression and anxiety remain topics still widely misunderstood by much of society. The simple truth is that many, many people are still uneducated - and as a result, ignorant - to these issues.

It can definitely be frustrating and I wish I had a solution for you, but I'm afraid I can't offer a real answer to the problem. Fortunately, mental health issues are receiving more attention nowadays, but the sad fact is that many people are going to continue to lack knowledge about it for a while to come. And unless they have a desire to learn, that likely isn't going to change.

Hopefully, the people who don't take your condition seriously are folks who you will be comfortable enough trying to have a conversation with in order to better explain things. Perhaps there are also websites or other information resources you can refer them to? In any event, I wish you well and hope things improve for you regarding this.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ellasain Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: When people do not believe something is wrong with me - April 20th 2015, 04:17 AM

Unfortunately, when people do not believe in something wrong for me my personal opinion ,try to live the life where it end up at a point where it have no regrets. So try to choose the road that we have the most passion on because then we can never really blame ourselves for making the wrong choices. We can always say you're following it's your passion. Just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think we can go wrong.

Closed Thread