TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cutie7519 Offline
Love & Death
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kate
Location: In my happy place, where happiness lives forever more.

Question Psych evaluation? - May 29th 2015, 05:01 PM

I have to go for a psych evaluation. I'm nervous and very scared and I want my mom with me in the room. But I want to know what questions they will ask me and if they could possibly admit me if they felt I needed it?

"It's easier to run, replacing this pain with something numb, it's so much easier to go, than face all this pain here all alone."- Linkin Park, Easier to run

"When the nightmares take me, I will scream with the howling wind." Owl City, Lonely Lullaby

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Theaweseomrguy Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jake

Re: Psych evaluation? - May 29th 2015, 09:11 PM

If you are suicidal there is a very good chance that they will but, don't worry they will help you. Stay strong you are beautiful and deserve to live. Hope it goes well.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Psych evaluation? - May 29th 2015, 10:22 PM

I can't say for sure, but I believe they will admit you if they feel you are in danger of harming yourself or someone else.

In any event, I think it's a good idea to look at the evaluation as a good thing. It may go a long way in finding a method to help you with the pain you are struggling with. Best wishes and I hope it goes well.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Psych evaluation? - May 29th 2015, 10:42 PM

They can admit you if they feel like you need it, but please don't let that stop you from being honest with them. If they did, it would be as an absolute last resort if you are no question going to harm yourself. They may or may not allow your mom in the room with you or they might bring her in at the end, depends on the person doing the interview.

They will ask you a lot of questions, mostly about what symptoms/moods you're experiencing how long they last, how long you've had them etc. This will include suicidal ideation/attempts, and self harm

Current or previous diagnoses and if you've been to treatment before

Current medications and medical conditions (it might help to bring a list with you)

Whether you use any substances including alcohol if so what, how much, how often, and possibly how long

They might ask about family structure/dynamics, parents, siblings, significant others, who you live with if anyone and how you get along with everyone.

Those are the basics I think that's pretty much everything.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Psych evaluation? - May 29th 2015, 11:04 PM

Kate covered a lot of it. I have had a few psych evaluations and they have all run smoothly. I have only ever been admitted to the hospital during one psych evaluation but that was one held at the hospital and I told them I was going to harm myself.

Basically, during a psych evaluation they just take things into consideration and see if you are a danger to yourself. You can tell them you have suicidal thoughts and it's unlikely that they will admit you. I've told my psychiatrist and my therapist about suicidal thoughts and never got admitted. It's when you have a plan or seem like a severe danger to yourself that they might admit you.

However, I hope that doesn't stop you from being open and honest because at the end of the day all they want is for you to be safe and they will ensure that.

As for your mom being in the room, I don't know if they will allow that. I suppose if you give them permission to do the evaluation with your mom in the room there is a likelihood that they will let her in the room. However, it is possible that they will want to talk to you on your own. I've been going to therapy and psychiatry for quite some time and usually the doctors would talk to me for a while and then have my parents go in at the end of the session and discuss things. This was when I was under age. Since I've been of age I have not needed my parents to go in the room.

It's possible that if you want your mom with you they will have you sign a release since there are laws like HIPPA that they have to follow.

If you aren't in the USA then you might have different rules and regulations.

Hope this helped and best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
renai. Offline
inkslinger
Not a n00b

Name: reh-nay

Re: Psych evaluation? - May 29th 2015, 11:09 PM

I've had several psych evaluations and I'm just going to let you know, they won't try to admit you if you don't desperately need it. It really is just a last resort kind of thing. A lot of facilities that are equipped for treatment of mental illnesses do not have enough staff/beds/resources for new arrivals most of the time. Unfortunately, it does mean that some people that really do need help can't get it. But like the others have said, it's really important to be honest. That really does make a huge difference. Professionals can tell between someone who's lying and who's telling the truth. Being honest makes it way easier. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions!

- renai.

it's just a spark, but it's enough to keep me going. and when it's dark out, no one's around, it keeps glowing.

the truth hurts but it hasn't stung enough to stop me.

see, you're just wasted and thinking 'bout the past again, darling, you'll be okay.

You are altogether beautiful, my darling, beautiful in every way. - song of songs 4:7

Closed Thread