TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Memory Problems - April 28th 2016, 08:40 AM

This is not really a serious issue. I've figured out ways to cope with it.

I have memory problems. The kind of memory problems which noticeably often make it difficult for me to even recall the 12 months of the year.

I was just wondering if anyone has the same?

The pattern I notice with myself is that my mind has a habit of "purging" useless information from my memory. I do not understand how this works yet, and why this happens. On the other hand, my visual memory has always been through the roof though instead.

Why do I forget the 12 months of the year? Because I almost never use them. I tend to just use numerical dates. Microsoft Word autofills dates for me, etc. And gradually I just forget them. I have more trouble remembering months onwards from July, because most people I know have birthdays in the 1st half of the year.

Anyone else have something like this, or knows more about it than I do? It is sometimes slightly embarrassing for me when in some situations I can't remember a month. Then sometimes I just pretend I don't speak the language and that I'm learning it. lol. I'm quite good at that by now.

I also pretend I don't speak the language when someone is being a dick and I don't feel like talking to them/arguing. Once this provoked a whole bunch of racist insults, which was hilarious because then I told the guy to fuck off with a perfect native accent and it stupefied him a bit. Different story though. I have a habit of going off on a tangent in discussions. My train of thought can often be a train-wreck.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MrCross Offline
The Enlightened
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Andy

Re: Memory Problems - April 28th 2016, 01:34 PM

You ain't alone on this BDF I have the exact same type of problem, well I wouldn't call it a problem anymore because I make it work. My mind works in the way of repetition when it comes to non visual memory, for me to remember mundane things I literally have to force myself to memorize them, unless those things are super important or its something I use every single day my mind will just throw the useless information out the window which leads to me being very forgetful. However visually wise I have never forgotten the face of any person I have seen my whole life, and would recognizer them instantly by facial and body features alone. This is because I am a visual learner, or I learn by seeing instead of other forms of learning, and therefore I remember better when I see it. My thinking is your a visual learner too because if you think about it its not very often that one visually sees the months written down, at least enough to remember them.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Memory Problems - April 28th 2016, 04:10 PM

In my last psychbio class last year, we learnt about memory and basically, when you form a new memory or learn something, a connection is made between two synapses in your head right? But it's really weak. And when you revise, or remember that event or memory or whatever, the connection is strengthened. And this happens every time you think about it or revise or remember. If you don't think about it, you forget it, the connection gets weaker and weaker and weaker.

It's in your brain's interest to only remember things that are important to you, to your survival, otherwise you'd remember everything, even the unimportant things. And it's not beneficial to our survival to remember tiny little unimportant things

I hope that makes sense and is semi accurate...you're not alone basically. Things that aren't important we tend to forget. I've probably forgotten crucial elements but whatever, the exam was a year ago

Take as long as you need.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Memory Problems - April 30th 2016, 05:19 AM

If you're on any psych medications most of then cause memory problems, even if it's not listed in the side effects. My psychiatrist told me that. Mostly because for the longest time I thought I was still having memory problems from ECT, but nope just meds.

If you're not on any psych meds or any other meds that effect mental function and cognition then Kindred's explanation is also correct. I only mentioned that because psych meds and others tend to compromise the brain's functionality. For better and for worse unfortunately.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

Closed Thread