TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

BPD reverting back to a child - March 22nd 2017, 06:36 PM

So I do revert back to child like behaviors a lot. i will talk in baby talk and just be kiddish. I know that is part of BPD but I am writing this about a different child like thing.

For the past month or so I have been thinking a lot about sucking my thumb while I am going to sleep and sleep. I have put my thumb in my mouth a couple of times for like five minutes and it felt comforting. I do sleep with a stuffed animal still but this just calms me down more. Is this because of the BPD? Am I reverting too much back to a child? Is this something I should be concerned with?

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: BPD reverting back to a child - March 22nd 2017, 09:15 PM

Thumb sucking in itself isn't too concerning. As babies, thumb sucking is used for comfort and common reasons for trying to stop that behaviour are mostly due to the formation of teeth and language development. Growing up, thumb sucking is just seen as not socially appropriate.

I do understand your concern about it in relation to BPD though and whether that means you are reverting to a child-like state more. If it comforts you when you fall asleep and you don't revert into a child like state, I guess it's okay (if it's any consolation, I hug myself when I sleep). But if you're reverting and finding it difficult to cope with going from adult to child and back, it may be wise to not get into the habit.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: BPD reverting back to a child - March 23rd 2017, 02:35 PM

I also revert back to a child but I don't have BPD. Mine is related to PTSD. I am glad I have found someone else who does this! It's nice not to be alone.

It could be because of BPD, or young childhood trauma. You know yourself and your body best so I can't tell you if you are reverting back into a child too much. In my experience, I feel like I revert back to a child because I didn't get to do (or grow out of) childhood things. It could be a way of nurturing your inner child.

I think you'd benefit from speaking to your therapist about it, however, because reverting back to your child self could be seen as either harmful of beneficial in recovery(depending on who you ask). Perhaps the two of you can come up with ways to nurture your inner child.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: BPD reverting back to a child - March 23rd 2017, 03:45 PM

I may or may not have BPD, and that is something the professionals I've seen was not sure about and haven't decided. But this is something I do or at least desire to do but i dont always act on it. I sleep with stuffed animals and play with dolls still. I never sucked my thumb before even as a child but I find myself doing things that seem like I reverted to a child like state at times.
I was actually going to say something similar to Cassado about nurturing inner child. I am a big supported of that because for me personally, nurturing my inner child is really powerful and has given me hope. It may look different for different people but it does seem like a middle ground and a positive step towards recovery. Part of healing or nurturing the inner child is self-compassion and developing kindness towards oneself. Maybe you and your therapist can incorporate that into your treatment plan. But it doesn't have to be very official either. If there were games you used to play as a kid, TV shows you used to watch, songs you would sing or anything positive that reminds you of your childhood, you can try to reconnect with those things that you used to enjoy.
Sometimes I think back to hand games like Miss Mary Mack, eeny meeny miney moe, or other rhymes and try to see how much I remember.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: BPD reverting back to a child - March 23rd 2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
Thumb sucking in itself isn't too concerning. As babies, thumb sucking is used for comfort and common reasons for trying to stop that behaviour are mostly due to the formation of teeth and language development. Growing up, thumb sucking is just seen as not socially appropriate.

I do understand your concern about it in relation to BPD though and whether that means you are reverting to a child-like state more. If it comforts you when you fall asleep and you don't revert into a child like state, I guess it's okay (if it's any consolation, I hug myself when I sleep). But if you're reverting and finding it difficult to cope with going from adult to child and back, it may be wise to not get into the habit.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassado View Post
I also revert back to a child but I don't have BPD. Mine is related to PTSD. I am glad I have found someone else who does this! It's nice not to be alone.

It could be because of BPD, or young childhood trauma. You know yourself and your body best so I can't tell you if you are reverting back into a child too much. In my experience, I feel like I revert back to a child because I didn't get to do (or grow out of) childhood things. It could be a way of nurturing your inner child.

I think you'd benefit from speaking to your therapist about it, however, because reverting back to your child self could be seen as either harmful of beneficial in recovery(depending on who you ask). Perhaps the two of you can come up with ways to nurture your inner child.
Yeah I revert back to baby talk a lot when I am upset or scared. I also have to sleep with a stuffed animal and now it seems like I try and suck my thumb for a little bit. But yeah you aren't alone. My therapist is trying to get me not to do that so i think I'll have to talk to her about it.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

Closed Thread