TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Therapist isnt listening - April 16th 2017, 08:29 AM

So, last session with my therapist, I felt like he's not listening to me. I feel like he thinks he knows me when we just met in like February or something?
See, I was ranting and raving about the friendship drama (which I feel I only post about here) and he kept saying that I should focus on myself and not care about what others say. That I should bring my self esteem up so it's not hurt by "a pebble". And no matter how much I explain that's not the fuckin issue the issue is that I need to learn how to speak to and deal with these people because there will always be people who want to hurt me. I feel like I don't need to bring up my self esteem. And then, its not like it was some random bully calling me ugly. It was my best friends calling me abusive. And he can't seem to understand how major that is. It's not like they're nobody, they're somebody.
So now he's saying tell me what you want with therapy. What I wanted originally is to get over my traumas so I don't have to be in therapy anymore. But like, I need him to understand now that likability is what gets people through this new age life. You can't succeed without likes. And if someone is spreading rumors that I'm an awful abuser to the entire goddamn group then I lose all my friends. They isolate me! They're the abusers! And my therapist has to understand that. Like having good self esteem won't make me an unstoppable force because no one is like that. It's impossible.
When I told him he's not listening to me he quickly interjects "No I hear you!!" with such swift defense, it makes me wonder if he really is.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Therapist isnt listening - April 16th 2017, 03:44 PM

Hey there, it's okay to find a new therapist if he's not right for you, and if this isn't a recent issue (everyone has bad days), I'd consider it.

I think he might be saying that if you (hopefully meaning together) raise your self-esteem then that's your solution for dealing with people. Like you say, there will always be difficult people, but you can get yourself to a place where they don't bother you as much. Not that that will make you bulletproof, you're still human, but negative crap from others will be less painful. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but I think that's what he meant.

Either way, you should feel listened to and like he understands what a big deal these things are to you. So, my 2 cents is bring this up with him, and if you feel unheard or it doesn't change, start looking for someone else. Remember, therapists work for you, do if they aren't what you need, it's okay to say so.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Therapist isnt listening - April 16th 2017, 06:41 PM

See, I get that part, but what he kept insisting is that the issue is a pebble when it's actually a big rock. He says things like getting validation isn't necessary or something? I think validation is necessary but he doesn't and is trying to make me see things from his viewpoint and not mines and there's where I think he's not listening because no matter how much I articulate things he says ok well and tries to convince me to see his way of thinking. I mean, he's just an intern, but I had interns before and they were really great so I don't see what's the big deal.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Therapist isnt listening - April 16th 2017, 06:58 PM

The point of therapy, at least sometimes, is to alter your thought patterns or the way you see things, but not necessarily to make you think like your therapist. Personally, in a perfect world, I think validation wouldn't be necessary and wouldn't matter, but we don't live in a perfect world and other people's opinions matter. To you it feels bigger than he realizes, but I don't think just telling you it isn't as big a deal as you think helps, whether it is or not. I would try explaining this to him if you can get him to listen and then try someone else.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread