TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Online Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

What's wrong with me??? - May 30th 2017, 06:50 PM

So I have been having a lot of confusing stuff happening lately. One hour I'll be happy laughing. But then I'll be super sad and depressed randomly. Then once the sad depressing time is over it sounds stupid that I felt sad and depressed. What's wronggg???

(#2 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: What's wrong with me??? - May 31st 2017, 07:11 AM

I love your username! I just realized your username is "Online"!

Thanks for the smile, that made my day.

Yea as for those emotions, that would be your body chemistry changing.

I have it happen to me. I skip lunch → I get super depressed in the afternoon. I don't get a good night sleep → I'm suicidal the next day.

I eventually realized my moods which completely dictated how I viewed the world, from "oh the world is a happy place," to "I'm so super sad and depressed and the world is a horrible place," then later back to "I'm OK again and the world is just fine, and whatever it was I was so sad and depressed about doesn't seem that bad anymore," well I finally realized the world couldn't possibly be changing that fast, that what was really changing was my perception of the world, or my interpretation of the world, and if I had a choice I certainly preferred the happy version, and it was all because of my body chemistry, and I could just eat a decent lunch and everything would be fine in a few hours, or I could walk for an hour and I'd be fine the next day, or I just needed a good night sleep and I'd be fine the next day. Or I needed to restart my medication and I'd eventually be fine again once it started working.

Actually it sounds like you've already figured that out.

It's your body, and not the world. There are medications that can help wonderfully. After that, things that can also help: Exercise, socializing with friends, mindfulness meditation, guided meditation ("Headspace" app), {Yoga, Tai-Chi, Qi-Gong}, support groups, possibly there's a DBSA support group in your area, or a Mental Wellness center, or a LGBQT support group, check the NAMI website for any local affiliated groups in your area,

http://ok2talk.org/

https://www.nami.org/Find-Support

http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/Page..._group_locator

Your parents may need educating too. This can be tricky, depending on how open they are, and how well educated they are, and how willing and capable they are to learn something new:

https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/NA...mily-to-Family

There are some workbooks that provide further information on ways of recovery besides medication:
http://mentalhealthrecovery.com

Check out their bookstore, and the red book there for $10 titled Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP).

Still, after all that, my experience is I benefited most from medication, and after finding the right medication then I was able to benefit from all these other tools. Typically one sees a psychiatrist doctor as they specialize in this field; however, there's been a shortage of psychiatrist doctors, so regular general purpose doctors are now taking up the slack and prescribing medication for these issues, and referring the difficult cases to the psychiatrists.

If your parents won't take you to a doctor, and it sounds like they might be averse to the idea, I'm not sure, but if that's problematic for you, then you can find someone else to be on your side. Find yourself an ally, someone who understands. Someone who knows a lot about mental problems because they've had it themselves (like me, that's why I understand it; like any of us, that's why we all understand it, we've all been there. There are a lot of us around!)

Once you find an ally, it becomes a lot easier to get to a doctor. Your ally will take care of the logistics.

Until then keep Hope! There is a way out of this! Doctors know how to fix your body. It's just your body chemistry flying around a bit. Get that body chemistry stabilized and you'll feel much better.

Hang in there. I wish you well!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: What's wrong with me??? - May 31st 2017, 10:43 AM

We aren't professionals here so can't diagnose you, but I'm wondering if there is anything that triggers you to feel sad and depressed? What's happened or happening around you or in your mind when you feel depressed?

It's not stupid at all. Mood swings can be common and can occur for all sorts of reasons, even though I understand they aren't nice to go through and can leave you feeling like you don't know what you're going to feel next. Have you spoken to anyone about how you feel, or have others noticed your mood swings?

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread