TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NovoK9 Offline
Staff On Leave

Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ebony

Arrow CBT and Family Issues - July 7th 2017, 06:51 AM

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here has had an experience with cognitive behavioral therapy? Also, I know my mom's been struggling a lot with taking care of me. I can get hard to handle at times. I've been officially diagnosed with Schizophrenia, GAD, and MDD. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about my mom. She's not easy to talk to, and I found a group in my city for family support where they meet other family's/caregivers and talk about how to deal with me being diagnosed as schizophrenic. But i'm afraid she won't be open minded into going. And I also wanted her to take me to CBT or CET (Cognitive Enhancement Therapy) because I have a lot of symptoms that I want to work on and stuff.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: CBT and Family Issues - July 7th 2017, 09:55 PM

CBT works by challenging negative thought patterns, feelings and behaviours. It can be effective in treating anxiety and depression. If you think you may benefit from CBT, then I see no harm in trying it out.

As for your mom, I understand that it can be difficult trying to talk to someone who may be close minded and generally difficult to talk to. Perhaps you can approach her with some facts about CBT and effectiveness and that you want to try it? It may help to convince her that it's worth trying. You can also suggest the support group and that it can be helpful to talk to others who have loved ones with schizophrenia and to get support from each other.

It's up to your mom whether she chooses to go to the support group or not. But you should be able to have access to therapies and support groups for yourself at least. If not, is there anyone else who could take you?

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: CBT and Family Issues - July 10th 2017, 05:24 AM

Congratulations on wanting to seek help for both yourself and your mother.

About half of the people diagnosed with schizophrenia don't recognize anything is wrong with them, and they are the most difficult to treat, because as far as they are concerned, there's nothing wrong with them.

So your mother is very fortunate, and you are very fortunate, that you actually want help and are actively seeking help. That's a huge plus right there that greatly improves your long term prognosis. You're the client every counselor wants to work with.

I don't know your mom or what condition she is in. I imagine she would probably appreciate you mentioning to her that you do care about her, that you do recognize that you can get hard to handle at times, and that will mean a lot to her.

As for yourself, hopefully there is a support group of other similar people you can attend, where you can talk openly about these things, as that helps one realize you're not the only one with this issue, there are others like you, and it feels good to know you aren't alone, and to be among people who accept you.

And hopefully there is a counselor who is also good to talk to, who can also help you through difficult times, and deal with difficult things as they occur.

And hopefully there is also a doctor, who can see if there is perhaps any medication that might be helpful. There are so many to try, and it's hard to know if one will work well for any particular person. Sometimes one just tries them to see if it helps or not. Sometimes you get lucky and find one that helps a lot.

Then there are therapies with fancy names, or fancy letters, like DBT, and the ones you mention, and as far as I know when you look inside to see what they contain they often contain similar things. They often contain an element of Mindfulness Meditation. You can try a one minute focusing your mind on the present moment, and just focus your mind, it's all about learning to focus your mind, and when a thought enters your mind, let it go and return your focus to the present moment, or focus on your breathing. Keep that up for one minute. That's a good start. Some people take to it right away. Some people never get it. There's also mindfulness motion exercises, such as Yoga, Qi-Gong, and Tai-Chi. There's guided meditations. If you can do it for a minute, you can try a guided meditation. You can download them onto your cell phone. Or there may be meditation groups in your area.

The mindfulness training can eventually help calm and quiet your mind, if it works.

The other elements tend to be a collection of other possibly useful things depending on who you are and what deficits you have. Things like self-affirmations, asserting that you have a right to exist, and it's OK to be happy, and it's OK to politely say No to a request, and thinking positive happy thoughts can help make you a more positive happy person.

If you hear voices there are support groups for that too because you're not the only one. (Though only some hear voices so you might not.) There are a lot of good coping techniques that people have devised for dealing with that, like pretending to talk on your cell phone, you can negotiate with the voice, tell the voice you'll listen to it from 7 to 8pm if it will leave you alone during the rest of the day so you can get work done, or you can write a letter to the voice, there are ways to communicate with it. The UK and Australia have the most active groups in that area.

Hope that helps. Best wishes! Remember you're the client every counselor dreams of getting! They love clients who actually want to improve themselves!

Closed Thread