TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Voice in my head had them all my life getting fed up - July 11th 2017, 08:27 PM

All my life I have had to obey what this voice in my head says I can't deal with it anymore I wish it would just stop! I don't think it's even a voice I can't hear anything it's just like i'm talking to my own self does that make sense I can't hear it but it's there and it tells me to do things like touch the door handle 3 times if not it says it will kill a loved one. I keep telling myself to fight it but I hate it so much.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tieracamara Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Voice in my head had them all my life getting fed up - July 12th 2017, 03:09 PM

This happens to me too! How I hate it!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Voice in my head had them all my life getting fed up - July 12th 2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmethehorizon♥ View Post
All my life I have had to obey what this voice in my head says I can't deal with it anymore I wish it would just stop! I don't think it's even a voice I can't hear anything it's just like i'm talking to my own self does that make sense I can't hear it but it's there and it tells me to do things like touch the door handle 3 times if not it says it will kill a loved one. I keep telling myself to fight it but I hate it so much.
I'm sorry you are struggling with this and I wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one who struggles with this. I have the same thing; it's like I tell myself–rather than have it be a separate entity in my head–that I "disaccept" if something happens/doesn't happen before such and such. It's annoying, and I don't know if it's a part of OCD or ADHD; but I don't know if you have been diagnosed with either one of these.

How to stop it? That's a challenge. For me, I play music continuously or make noise constantly to shut it up. But if it's late at night, when I can't play music or make noise, it becomes a problem. I would like to know how to resolve this as well.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Voice in my head had them all my life getting fed up - July 13th 2017, 06:25 AM

Thank you for reaching out. I've recently learned this hearing voices phenomenon is actually rather common. (Perhaps 4% of the population. They just never talk about it.)

There are groups. England I think leads the world in support groups where you can meet other people and talk about strategies to successfully deal with these voices. People have found ways of dealing with these voices that work.

There are some websites:
http://www.voicecollective.co.uk
http://workingtorecovery.co.uk
http://www.icra-wholelife.org
http://www.intervoiceonline.org

There are numerous publications & books & DVDs.
There's a workbook "Working with voices".

I've heard stories of people negotiating with their voices ("I'll listen to you at 7pm every day if you'll leave me alone the rest of the day so I can get my work done.")

I've heard of people writing letters to their voices as a way of communicating to them. ("Dear voice, please...")

One strategy I heard of is "Use an earplug in one ear can help reduce or eliminate voices."

"Use positive self-talk to counter negative voices. Say to yourself, "I am a good person." (You don't have to believe it. Just thinking it makes it real to the brain. Thinking the thought enough times etches it into the brain and it becomes real.)

Write down everything the voices say.

Repeat what the voices say. Sometimes this confuses them and they fall silent.

Learn that the voices do not have any power to predict the future. If the voices says, "Do this or something bad will happen." Do a scientific study, collect data, and notice that nothing bad happens if you disobey the voice. The voice's power of prediction is no better than chance.

There's all sorts of wonderful suggestions that other people have figured out ways of dealing with voices, and they've all shared their experiences in these groups and organizations where you can find all this wonderful information.

It can also be wonderful to get together with other people in a support group and talk freely about experiences. Makes one feel OK.

There's also medications that can help quiet the voices. Psychiatrist are doctors who specialize in this field. You can try various different medications and see if any of them help. Sometimes the only way to find out if they will help is to try them and find out.

Lot's of help is out there!

Thank you for writing.

Best wishes!

Closed Thread