TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BooksGalore Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I have no idea... - August 1st 2017, 10:39 PM

I have no idea how to start this or what to say so I'll just begin. Everything that used to make me happy/bring me joy, no longer does. When I start doing something that I used to enjoy, I do enjoy it for about five seconds and then my brain disconnects, in a way, and disallows me to become happy and enjoy said thing. Furthermore, I find myself never wanting to get out of bed in the morning but when I do, I am extremely lethargic and apathetic. I have stopped caring about everything and everyone, including myself. I used to self harm but I have not been doing that for about four months now. However, especially with college approaching slowly, the urges have resurfaced. When I bring it up with my sister, she pretends she didn't hear it. When I bring it up with my parents, they dismiss it as the transition from high school to college. However, I have been feeling this way since junior year of high school. Most of my friends are no longer my friends due to some very intimate reasons, but my mom thinks that is no reason for me to be this way. And maybe she is right, my dad says I just need to be more active but it's hard when I don't even want to get out of bed. I have never had professional help due to the fact that my mom does not think I need it because I have not gone through something super bad. Since I am now 18, I can do it on my own but I would still like advice on the fact of whether or not this does require a more skilled person to actually help me through this.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I have no idea... - August 2nd 2017, 07:21 AM

Classic, classic, clinical depression. Best description I've heard.

Any good doctor will recognize it right away as a medical problem and start you trying out different antidepressant medications until you find the one that works for you.

The first few you try may not work. Keep trying different ones. There's no way of knowing which one will be the one that works for you. You just have to try them. You'll know when you find the one that works for you.

Being depressed for no reason is a classic sign. It's what finally convinced me that the world couldn't possibly be that bad, because there was really nothing wrong in my life, except I constantly felt horrible! Just as you described.

Parents and family often don't know what to do if they aren't familiar with this type of medical disorder, which most aren't, unless it runs in the family, which it sometimes does.

Doctors and other patients recognize it right away.

There may be a Mental Wellness Center in your area. Something affiliated with NAMI. It can be very helpful to get together with other people who do understand, because they've had it themselves, as they are the ones who will understand and be supportive.

Maybe there's a DBSA group in your area. (Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance.)

Doctors and counselors often know what's available locally.

Another sign it's a medical problem is, Talking about it doesn't help. You can go to a counselor and talk about it forever, but it really doesn't help, because it's a medical problem.

(Though talking about it with a counselor can help get one through the rough times while you're working on finding a medication that works for you.)

Cutting definitely another clear sign it's a medical depression issue. Those urges go away once one finds the right medication, then one feels fine, and the idea no longer enters their mind.

Psychiatrists are doctors who specialize in this field. (Psychologists are talk therapists.) However, any doctor can prescribe any medication, and since there's a shortage of psychiatrists, regular doctors are now taking up the slack and prescribing antidepressants while their patient waits to get into see a psychiatrist.

Or maybe you'll get lucky and the first antidepressant medication you try will work for you. In my case I tried about a dozen different antidepressant medications before finding one that actually worked for me.

Stress also makes it worse. Now that I have medication that works, I do other things to keep myself well and happy. Of course it's a lot easier when one isn't sick to begin with. Now I can go to groups, socialize, exercise, get some sunlight, eat healthy, do those little things that help keep me well. Mindfulness Meditation, and all those other things, and I took a slightly reduced work load in college. I knew what I could handle and what was too much for me. All they needed was a note from my doctor. (Around here, a note from a doctor is like a note from God etched in stone. Everyone bows to it.)

Best wishes. There are a lot of different antidepressant medications available nowadays. One of them is bound to work!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I have no idea... - August 2nd 2017, 03:55 PM

Anything that bothers you is always worth seeking help for, more so if you have been feeling this way for a while. It sounds like your family may not be very aware of mental health issues, especially since you don't have to have gone through something bad to be depressed. Sometimes it's just a chemical imbalance.

As difficult as it is, it can be helpful to slowly start doing the things you used to. Depression can definitely make you feel lethargic and not want to do anything, but at the same time, doing something and trying to be active can help ease depression slightly. Do things in small steps, so for example, if you stay in bed until late, try to get up 5 minutes earlier. If you tend to neglect yourself, try to do at least one act of self-care everyday (it could be anything from brushing your teeth, your hair, showering, clean clothes etc). Then you can start trying other things like doing one thing that you are good at and another that you enjoy on a daily basis. If you aren't enjoying something, don't force yourself. Just acknowledge that you aren't feeling up to it right now, and maybe look into trying something new.

It sounds like the transition from high school to college is triggering self-harming urges. Any transition can be stressful, since it requires change and new things and that can be difficult to deal with when we don't feel mentally well. Perhaps find ways of distracting yourself when the urges come on. If there is anything you are worried about regarding starting college, you are more than welcome to talk about it!

But in short, yes, it's definitely worth seeking professional help for how you are feeling. It's not fair on you to be suffering this way!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread