TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fanatic Offline
In Christ Alone ♥
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Unhappy Why is it possible for others but me? - January 12th 2018, 10:40 PM

The question I’ve started asking a lot is why is it possible for others to receive treatment, but not me? Why is it so expensive and almost impossible unless you have the money to spend? I get how unfair this world is, but everyday without this “luxury”, everything feels like a pain to even live anymore. If I know I dont have any options, does it mean theres nothing I can do to take away this pain?? I dont understand anything...

"Running through the monsoon
Beyond the world
Til' the end of time
Where the rain won't hurt
Fighting the storm
Into the blue
And when I lose myself I'll think of you
Together we'll be running somewhere new~"
-Tokio Hotel

Send a message via Skype™ to Fanatic 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Why is it possible for others but me? - January 12th 2018, 11:19 PM

I think that's a misconception that a lot of struggling people deal with. I know I did at one time, and I still do. You're right that "actual", personalized treatment is often extremely expensive. With that being said, however, you might have a lot more options for help than you think.
I was in counseling for about a year without spending a penny on it. That's because my city offers free counseling through the local rape crisis center. I had no idea that my community offered that until I started doing serious research on how to get help when I don't have any money for it. So I encourage you to start researching what your community might offer. Even if personalized therapy treatment isn't available for free, there are often a lot of free support groups you could join. These tend to stay small, so it's almost personalized, and you get the added benefit of being able to meet people who you can relate to. It really helps a person to see that they're not alone.
Another resource I've taken advantage of a lot is hotlines, both the online chat hotlines and the over-the-phone hotlines. If you're not able to find many resources in your community, I suggest talking to a person on a hotline as they can also look up resources in your area, as well as give you a lot of links and advice. Hotlines are a bit of a hit or miss, and there have been times where I've really clicked with a hotline advocate and actually felt sad that I wouldn't get to talk to them again, and there have been times where they've been pretty annoying and not at all helpful. Thankfully I've had a lot more good experiences than bad ones as far as hotlines go, so I do strongly advise you to check those out. A simple Google search will help you find them.
Hotlines are nice because it is personalized help and they are often very helpful, but it always seems like there's this plateau moment in each hotline conversation, where they can't help anymore than they already have. It's definitely not as nice as a weekly visit to the therapist but it does help a lot.

I guess I can't answer your question about why only people who can afford proper help can achieve it, and it does seem very unfair at times. Mental health resources are something I think needs to be worked on a lot in our society, and I do hope that things get better one day. But for now, all we can do is take advantage of the free resources that we are given, and make the most out of the information and help we receive.

"You never know how STRONG you are
until being strong is
your only choice."
-Bob Marley

follow me on instagram

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Why is it possible for others but me? - January 13th 2018, 02:36 AM

Hey there,

Jess gave some really good suggestions. It is true that treatment is expensive but you might be able to find resources in your community. I know that my city has a lot of free or income based counseling. I also know that a lot of therapists are willing to work with patients for a lower fee. I had a friend who was able to find counseling for about $20 a session. I am sure she had to haggle a bit with the counselor but a lot of counselors do want to try and work with people because they know treatment is expensive.

I know that a lot of the hotlines tend to have resources available as well. We have a resource page that might be worth checking out as well as a Hotline page. If you are in the USA you could consider calling the crisis textline since I know they do tend to be able to help people find resources within their community.

Best regards.

Closed Thread