TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NovoK9 Offline
Staff On Leave

Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ebony

Arrow Unable to do stuff - April 7th 2018, 05:43 AM

So, lately I haven't been feeling well mentally. My hallucinations and anxiety have both gotten worse. I hear voices laughing at me or mocking me and the tv talking to me and someone blowing in my ear or scratching me. My anxiety makes me not able to leave the house or even the bathroom because it makes me feel sick to my stomach. Lately I haven't been able to function properly enough to go to school. I went in and within thirty minutes I was hallucinating and my school called my mom and she had to come pick me up. So I tried to do my homework at home but I've been having a hard time concentrating. My psychiatrist changed my meds a lot. But so far it hasn't been working. Its actually feeling like its been making things worse. I've been getting anxious every time I leave the house and been feeling paranoid. I think I'm going to have a psychosis relapse because I've been hearing hospital sounds and everything has been feeling fake. What should I do until my next appointment? How can I get past the hallucinations and anxiety to do school? What can help me concentrate better? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Fading away, turning to dust.
With nowhere to go, and no one to trust.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Re: Unable to do stuff - April 7th 2018, 09:20 AM

Hiya

I think the best course of action you should do is return to your psychiatristand explain to them what has been happening to you: these voices, the general unwellness and this anxiety which having myself is horrible and distracting, especially when having to study.

Have you told Mum? Often because we are so close to our parents, we tend to hold back much of our feelings though this isn't always the case, I feel she should know about your worsening state.

Attending psychiatrist's appointments or any medical practitioner's often makes us go shy, finding it so difficult to express how we are feeling at the time. What I found most helpful is writing a shortlist, * * starring in order of importance your feelings. I'd do this as 1 to 3 or 1 to 5 depending. During your appointment refer to it, or hand it over to your psychiatrist to read. They will find that helpful, allowing them to help you more during your appointment time.

# # #

During times of anxiety, I do breathing exercises. These help get any panic down and the anxiety in check. Follow these easy steps, or print them off it you like.

Breathing Technique 1.

This is a relaxation technique that I use when stressed. I particularly like the colour green; it helps relax me.

Choose a word or a phase. Example: Lake; Sea; River; Blue sky; Green fields as far as the eye can see; Twilight.

Sit quietly in a relaxing and comfortable position, close your eyes and relax your muscles. Breath slowly, repeating your focus word(s) in your mind as you exhale. If everyday thoughts intrude, let them go and return and continue this for ten to twenty minutes.

Breathing Technique 2

Before your meeting, find somewhere comfortable and take some deep breaths. This is what I do before going onstage before a crowd.

I take a long, slow breath in through my nose, first filling my lower lungs, then my upper lungs.
I hold my breath and slowly count 1-2-3.
Then I exhale slowly through pursed lips, while slackening my shoulders to relax them.

Controlling your breathing this way helps bring anxiety right down!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
NovoK9 Offline
Staff On Leave

Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ebony

Re: Unable to do stuff - April 7th 2018, 08:35 PM

Thank you for the feedback. I'll be sure to tell my psychiatrist about these things. As for my mom I tend to feel a sense of shame when I tell her these things. But i'll try to tell her too. I'll definitely take your advice and write it out for him in an order of importance of my feelings as well as the deep breathing techniques. I've tried breathing techniques before but I haven't heard of these. Thank you again mirabelle!

Fading away, turning to dust.
With nowhere to go, and no one to trust.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Unable to do stuff - April 8th 2018, 02:38 PM

It can be really hard to share things like this, especially with your parents but your mom can be a valuable source of support should you decide to confide in her.

Breathing exercises are an excellent idea. Do you ever do any self talk? Sometimes when I am struggling and I need to do things I write a list of what needs to be done and I slowly do them (while using positive self-talk) one at a time. For instance, maybe you could talk to yourself and tell yourself that you can do your homework and you'll make it through. Then, do a page of your homework and then try something for self-care before returning to your homework so the tasks you need to do are broken up.

You could also try other things to concentrate such as lighting a candle or listening to music while you work (that helps people) or vice versa with silence.

Do you think taking a nap could help? Some people will lay down or take a nap when things become too much as a way of resetting their minds, to so speak and that helps sometimes.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Re: Unable to do stuff - April 12th 2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovoK9 View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I'll be sure to tell my psychiatrist about these things. As for my mom I tend to feel a sense of shame when I tell her these things. But i'll try to tell her too. I'll definitely take your advice and write it out for him in an order of importance of my feelings as well as the deep breathing techniques. I've tried breathing techniques before but I haven't heard of these. Thank you again mirabelle!
Your talking to you mum must be hard, because I felt the same with my adoptive aunt, but starting a meaningful conversation can lead to a far greater understanding, for this is precisely what I've experienced lately since I gathered the bravery to do so, and found an instant warmth and gentle empathy.

When we are honest seeking truth in our reaching out to relatives, that is when we find ourselves listened to and greatly encouraged. I never realised just how incredibly knowledgeable my aunt was until I dropped my defenses and told her how I felt. I hope as you progress with your mum, it will lead to a deeper understanding and whole lot of love besides. Keep soldiering on!

Wishing you all the best,

~Belle

Closed Thread