TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rottingpetals Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rose

What is Personality? - May 8th 2018, 12:20 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Triggers (in-case anyone needs to avoid them): Suicide/grief

Not sure where to put this exactly...

I'm not sure if this is normal or not, I am not aware when it truly started, but I guess I can share about it here.

My personality.

What is my personality?

Am I the supportive friend who helps others through their problems, am I that asshole who laughs at that awkward kid, or am I cold and distant from others and deem others as just merely just NPCs in this great big theater?

I'm not sure who I am exactly, but I play theater it seems sometimes. Sometimes I wear the mask of overwhelming emotions, the mask of a supporter, the shy mask, etc. I decide on these masks, on the play I perform depending on who the audience is.

I guess an example of this would be when a student at my school committed suicide. I knew him somewhat, we shared the same classes for a year or two, I was friendly. The day the news that he had killed himself was shared with me, as it was shared with everyone, as normal for an outlet of grief everyone around me cried, at first i was just disappointed "what a waste of a life" but I did end up crying too, I put on my mask and displayed a performance of great sadness and grief. But that mask was easily taken off as it was put on. It passed, I was not sad at who had died, but more what a waste it was for a life to end so early. I was curious on why, I used my emotions to discover what his life was like, asking those closer to him. I learned what his life was like, it was a sad and pitiful one...

I don't share aspects of a "Psychopath" I follow the rules, I don't cause trouble, I even feel emotions. It is the part I play in this world, this theater...

But maybe this is just simply another mask?

Have I lost myself in my role?

I may never know the answer.

I have other aspects to discuss about my personality, but I will end here to prevent this from becoming overwhelming and long.

I will also most likely make another post on this matter.

As one should, I wish you the reader a wonderful day/morning/evening.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: What is Personality? - May 8th 2018, 02:02 PM

Hey there,

You're not the only person to think about things like this! I actually remember studying a model when I was doing sociology at A level which essentially says that every person is an actor and the whole world is a stage, and we all play various roles depending on the situation. Just like you said, around certain people you're the supportive friend, whilst around others you might be really shy and not say very much. I'm very much the same. With my close friends I've got a dark sense of humour sometimes where we can insult each other and swear a lot, but if I'm at work, I'm usually the grown up one, and if I'm around strangers I turn into quite a shy person. Humans are social beings in that we constantly interact with people and our surroudings so it's normal to have many different personality types depending on the roles you need to fulfil and how comfortable you are in certain places. I don't know how helpful this is, but you're definitely not alone! When you really think about it, everyone is adapting and changing their personality to suit the situation constantly. It's just how people work! And personalities aren't static. They change and get shaped by everything all the time, and nobody really has one constant personality.

I know it's difficult, but try not to get too wrapped up in defining your personality. It's meant to change and adapt!
I hope you're doing ok. If you need anything at all, you're welcome to message me any time.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
joydalia38 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What is Personality? - May 30th 2018, 08:29 AM

Mostly we never know who we are, we feel according to those around us, we behave by certain standards... we are what others need us to be most of our lives. You are not alone, it takes a lot of time to realize and have the power to be exactly who we are..

Closed Thread