TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Astar Offline
Not a n00b

Scared to have fun - May 15th 2018, 05:17 PM

Some days I just canít do it. So many things set my anxiety off. Today it wa climbing a rope bridge to get to the slide. Ffs.. I immediately thought of all the ways I could die on the slide and bridge and couldnít do it. I then did the same for all the other activities on our short course meaning I couldnít join in. Each day is a new situation, a friend talking to someone else over me-then worrying Iím being too clingy, someone doing better than me in something-then worrying Iím not good enough. Itís like I donít know how to relax, how to have fun. I look for the smal things that set my anxiety off and drag them out until they take over me and all I want to do is hide away. Iím scared. Iíve been to counselling but they didnít seem to understand the ďshe is scared to have fun partĒ please help. I canít do this.

I can do it and I can get through it. So can you xx

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Scared to have fun - May 16th 2018, 02:43 PM

It's good that you know what things make you anxious, like what you mentioned with the different situations. You said you were in therapy; did you and your therapist on cover any causes from your anxiety, or is it just there?

Maybe when you get anxious, you can try to talk yourself out of those feelings. For instance, you can talk to yourself out loud or in your head and rationalize what you're nervous about. If you're nervous about climbing a rope to get to a slide, for example, you can tell yourself that you'll be okay and you can do this.

With a flip of the coin you can try not to give your anxious thoughts as much attention. Some people believe that talking themselves out of their anxiety or rationalizing it gives more attention to the anxiety and makes it worse. So that's a route you can also take.

It might help if you come up with a broad mantra you can repeat to yourself that will fit most of your anxious thoughts. You could take a few deep breaths and say, "I can do this. I will be okay." or something similar.

Best of luck to you.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread