TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ruining moods since 2003
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dori. Not the fish.

This is getting out of hand... - June 13th 2018, 04:14 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've had anxiety for quite awhile. But it's really starting to get worse. I'm just about in tears atm because I think my best friend is trying to kill himself. What reasons do I have to believe that? He's not answering his phone. He's tried to before. That's all. This happens a lot: I'll think someone is trying to kill themself, or is cutting me off, or hates me, etc., when it's usually something minor like they got their phone taken or I'm just out-of-my-fucking-mind neurotic. I'm already on Concerta for ADD and Wellbutrin for depression, so I'm not sure how likely it is that I can get another medication for anxiety. Is there anyway I can just...not?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: This is getting out of hand... - June 13th 2018, 06:07 PM

I think it's fairly common to worry about those who don't message back or think that we are somehow at fault and they hate us. Though it does seem to be causing you a lot of upset.

Sometimes when we are anxious and depressed, we can 'catastrophize' and assume the worst. Maybe when this happens, it might help to get some paper and split it in half. On one side, write down your thoughts, and on the other, try to challenge them. So for example, if someone isn't replying to you and you think they hate you, try thinking of other reasons why they might not be responding- perhaps they are busy? not at their phone/computer? If you feel like they hate you, ask yourself, what evidence do you have? If there isn't any, you can tell yourself that these thoughts are just your negative inner critic. Thoughts aren't reality, and more often or not, they show us how we feel about ourselves and how we think about the world.

As for your friend, I think your concern is understandable. If he has attempted to take his own life before and he is answering his phone, it may be a bit harder to try to challenge those thoughts. But then again, you can always ask yourself how he has been recently and whether there is anything that he might've said or gone through recently that would indicate how he feels. Otherwise, just give him some time to get back to you. Though if you are really concerned about him (and his mood and behaviour has changed) then it's okay to talk to a mutual friend or a family member of his to check on him and see how he is if he hasn't been online for a while.

It's worth looking into medication for anxiety, as long as it doesn't interact with your other medications. Maybe this is something to bring up with your doctor or psychiatrist? Equally, I'm wondering if you have had any counselling and if not, would you consider having counselling? Medication can help with our moods, but things like Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) can help us to change how we think, feel and behave with regards to certain situations, such as worrying about those that don't get back to us.

Hope this helped a bit

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread