TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MMantlo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maddyson

Question MENTAL HEALTH - June 30th 2018, 03:00 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Alright so the other night i had this really bad breakdown thing and didn't sleep at all and i did end up self-harming AGAIN!My mom's been telling me she thinks i have depression but honestly i'm not sure and all that but i know that some people comment on these type of things so if someone could comment and help me decide whether i had depression well what they think (obviously it won't be a proper diagnosis xD) But these are some of the reasons why people who know i do this stuff think i have depression;
-Don't sleep much
-Self harm basically everyday
-Sometimes don't think theres no point in life
-feeling numb and useless
-I Isolate my self alot
And much more but just wondering if some of you think it sounds like i do have depression
Thanks if your still reading ((:

M

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: MENTAL HEALTH - June 30th 2018, 10:43 PM

Hello,

I can't really say if it's depression or something else however a lot of what you list is concerning. I think it would be in your best interest to try and talk to a psychiatrist so that you can get a proper diagnosis. If you were able to get a diagnosis you'd be able to work on figuring out the best way to try and cope with everything.

One thing that might help is trying to figure out what, if anything, might be causing you to feel this way. Depression or other mental illnesses don't have to have a 'cause' but there are things that tend to exacerbate the symptoms. If you can identify any stressors in your life and work to deal with them you might find that some of the things you are experiencing will decrease. I think one way to go about identifying these things is by talking to a therapist.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MMantlo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maddyson

Re: MENTAL HEALTH - July 1st 2018, 09:16 AM

Yeah well thanks for reading and commenting or whatever and i will definitely think of talking to someone it's just i don't really like talking about this kind of stuff at least on here we're all anonymous and also at the moment my mom does want me to get help and i am going through this mental health thing our family GP has made a form about it since my Self harming had got so bad i had brought a blade into school.But still i'll think about it
M

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: MENTAL HEALTH - July 3rd 2018, 02:38 AM

You should probably talk to some sort of mental health professional, whether or not you seek out an official diagnosis. Not everyone feels the need to have an official diagnosis when seeking treatment, but given that you are engaging in self-harm, it would be a good idea to seek help, regardless of that, you can then discuss if you need medications or an official diagnosis.

When I started therapy a few years ago, I was suggested to take anti-depressants because it can help give some relief and allow you to do whatever work is needed to heal the things causing your mental anguish, though many people need meds long term. Not saying you need it, just trying to share some helpful information.

You could probably try reaching out to local counselling places and see if you can come without a parent/guardian being notified. Therapists and psychologists generally cannot disclose anything to anyone unless they feel someone is in imminent danger (e.g. child abuse has to be reported, and if you are obviously at risk for suicide or might kill someone else... loads of clients have suicidal ideation though, I think the difference is if a therapist has reason to believe that the client might act on it).

Therapy is honestly amazing. It's ok to reach out, you can go to therapy and not tell anyone else; I went for a long time and barely anyone knows, I'd just say I had an appointment and if anyone pried, I'd say it was with my doctor to get birth control or to get something done to my car, follow up with the dentist for some vague thing, or whatever else. You could make up other things too; you're going to coffee with a friend, have a "trainer at the gym" or that you're going to yoga or something too.

Closed Thread