TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

What is your self-esteem like? - February 16th 2019, 09:46 PM

Many people feel down in the first few months of the new year, and acknowledging those feelings is a first step in improving them. February is self-esteem boosting month and it serves as a reminder to assess your self-esteem and work on what you'd like to improve.

What is your self-esteem currently like? Do you see any strengths or struggles you're experiencing? If you have good self-esteem, how do you maintain it? Do you have any advice for someone looking to work on theirs? If you have lower self-esteem, how does it feel and how do you think you could try to improve it?

My own self-esteem hasn't always been the best and it still isn't too great. Working on it and everything else is part of my daily life. I do a lot of self-talk and meditations and generally try to keep busy so I don't have too much time to think about things that are upsetting. I am a perfectionist with college and those grades have helped my self-esteem, and I recently lost a lot of weight as I was overweight. I still have some weight to lose but I am happier with how I look and I know looks don't necessarily matter but I am trying to get my inside and outside to match. Self-esteem building is definitely a constant work in progress though!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivičre Offline
Par la rivičre
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: What is your self-esteem like? - February 17th 2019, 12:55 PM

My self-esteem is 50-50. With things like communication and general behaviour, I am reasonably confident. When it comes to my personal looks or work in university however, I often struggle to see things positively, though I try to think that my situation/grades could be worse than what it is. I do try to see the positive side of every negative situation/effect I have.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ikigai Offline
la razón de vivir en japonés
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Re: What is your self-esteem like? - February 17th 2019, 07:01 PM

I have an extremely low esteem. It's the main cause of my social anxiety and art blocks, because I very often abandon some paintings/drawings/stories/poems due to the fact that I believe they're not good enough.

Nada es verdad, todo está permitido

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ppinauma Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What is your self-esteem like? - February 17th 2019, 08:16 PM

I had very low self-esteem, but I try to fix it, even if in small steps.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: What is your self-esteem like? - February 17th 2019, 10:11 PM

Self-esteem can be hard to work on, especially because it's so different in various aspects of your life. I can definitely see struggling with self-esteem in school and creative parts of your life. Anxiety about grades is really difficult. I think caring about school so much can be both a good thing and a bad thing.

Do you ever return to any of your creative work later on with new ideas on it?

I try to see the positives of negative situations, too. Or even the small positives that aren't necessarily tied to a negative. I think it helps to take the little things that make you happy or confident and run with them.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: What is your self-esteem like? - February 18th 2019, 07:01 PM

I guess I have low self-esteem. I don't like how I look, my weight and I feel like I have no idea where I'm going with life. On the flip side though, I feel like I'm slowly figuring things out and with knowledge and awareness, I feel empowered to make better decisions. So that also helps with my self-esteem. I try to lose weight but I try to think of it in a balanced way in that I tell myself I am trying to be healthy etc rather than focusing on the negatives. I read daily reminders too about being worthy which can help and I like think about the times when things have gone well to help increase my self-esteem a bit

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Freedom. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: What is your self-esteem like? - February 27th 2019, 08:28 AM

My self-esteem has always been pretty low ever since I was younger.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Ikigai Offline
la razón de vivir en japonés
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Re: What is your self-esteem like? - February 28th 2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynefin View Post

Do you ever return to any of your creative work later on with new ideas on it?
Rarely. I've got tons of ideas, so when I decide I've got to draw/write something at last, it's usually something new

I believe my self-esteem is better now than it used to be, though. I've ceased to try to fit in - at least in some cases, which I believe is the first step.

I'm a fan of metal music, which is a subculture of very specific fashion. I've got a vest with metal bands' patches that I'm not afraid to wear (I don't care about strange looks from people anymore), same goes with spiked bracelets. A guy I used to call a friend - I've cut ties with him because he was toxic and made me feel worse about myself - told me that wearing a chain attached to one's trousers was tacky. So I didn't wear it. Then he told me tattoos on a girl looked awful - so I started to have doubts whether I wanted a tattoo. Now I wear my chain and I'm going to have a tattoo done in April I'm glad I'm not in touch with that guy anymore and that I'm not concerned about how people see my clothes or the way I look. Sometimes I feel uncomfortable, especially when someone openly criticises my appearance, but I try to shrug it off.

I love going to metal concerts, because I know I won't be judged there - well, I'm going to be around people dressed in the same way! It's great to feel you belong somewhere. Such moments fill me with energy to face the world.

Nada es verdad, todo está permitido

Closed Thread