TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Narrative. Offline
& it's getting dark.

TeenHelp Addict

Weighted blankets. - March 10th 2019, 11:24 AM

This is something I've been looking into for a while, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any advice, endorsements, or experience with them. Would you recommend them, and why/why not? Is there anything I should be aware of that might sway my decision?

just because it hurts to go on
doesn't mean the battle can't still be won
;

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Weighted blankets. - March 10th 2019, 11:10 PM

I have two of them and I love them. I like the security feeling because I like secure hugs from a select few people and that is kind of what they remind me of. I know you said you did some research but did you look into deep pressure therapy/deep touch pressure? That is what weighted blankets provide and I enjoy looking at things about that therapy. There is a website I found for it that I really like but of course now that I am looking for it I can't find it. If I find it I'll send it to you.

My first blanket is rather heavy in weight. I bought it on a whim because I hadn't slept in several days and I was desperate for a solution. It came with the blanket itself and the cover, with loops and ties to attach it. I was gentle with it but despite that, some of the ties unraveled and basically made the cover useless. I think there are some blankets that snap, button, or Velcro(?) into their covers so that could be an alternative.

I got my second blanket about a month ago, I needed a lighter one to easily get up and down my higher bed. It came with the blanket only, though it does have loops for a cover. I don't see the need for a cover for that one but if I ever wanted a new color I would buy a cover. It isn't a necessity for that one though.

I did recently order a custom made lap-pad (which is basically a mini weighted blanket) so I can easily use it to travel and bring to therapy sessions. A discount store nearby supposedly has a size of them I have been looking for and I hope to go out there when I feel better because I want to be able to use them easily around my house, like on the couch and stuff, since the heavier blankets are not as portable.

Something I noticed while looking around is that (if you choose to buy it commercially) it seems better to purchase a blanket that comes with a cover if you do want a cover. Weighted blankets can get pricey, and covers by themselves are also a bit pricey. A lot of the prices of the cover/blanket together seemed more inexpensive. You can also check Etsy or any other similar website you may know of because they do have different designs you may not find commercially, and it's cool to purchase from people on there.

I don't know if this would sway your decision or not but the thing I am personally not a fan of is how hard it is to wash mine. I can wash the cover, and my blankets but they cannot be put in the dryer and because of their weight it is hard to hang them somewhere. The washing instructions will be different depending on what blanket you choose, and I did notice that Etsy seemed to have more lenient instructions.

Overall, I really love mine. I feel safer and more secure at night which is perfect for me because I need that secure feeling to sleep.

I think this is the link I was looking for.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind