TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

I知 in psychosis. What do I do? - August 7th 2019, 06:41 PM

My healthcare providers are aware and I致e been prescribed an antipsychotic. What can I do in the meantime to make the walls stop watching and the air conditioner stop talking?

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I知 in psychosis. What do I do? - August 8th 2019, 06:39 PM

How are you feeling today?

Really sorry to hear you are going through psychosis. It's good that your healthcare providers are aware and have prescribed you antipsychotic. I hope that it helps and you feel better soon.

Are you able to distract yourself? Sometimes listening to music, watching a film, playing a game or reading something might help you to ignore the voices. Talking to people can also help to keep you distracted.

You can also try checking out MIND's article on managing voices to see if any of their tips can work as well.

As hard as it may be right now, try to look after yourself and make sure you are getting enough sleep and you are eating and keeping hydrated.

Take care and keep us updated

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can稚 help, I知 always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I知 in psychosis. What do I do? - August 8th 2019, 09:04 PM

Thank you for your response.

The psychosis is still pretty bad. I wasn't able to fill my prescription yesterday because insurance in America is lame sometimes. I'm going to try again today. I still feel pretty panicked but now I almost feel dissociated. I've felt like that all day. Nothing around me feels real. I was talking to a friend and told her it's exactly like dissociation except I can interact with people instead of going nonverbal, but I've never had dissociation last an entire day (and still going). Never more than two or three hours, and that's when I don't use skills or medication to alter the course of it.

You'd think I'd be manic, but I'm just anxious. I'm still sleeping (albeit roughly), and there's no joy in anything, but my thoughts are moving fast like when I'm manic. I am almost positive it's just anxiety though because I don't feel particularly energetic and I'm not super talkative and happy and crazy running around like I do when I'm manic.

I feel insane. Playing on my phone/listening to music helps but I don't know what else to do. It's very hard to pay attention to anything for long, especially therapy groups, which is what I do all day right now.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
No one had to know
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Unbreakable

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: I知 in psychosis. What do I do? - August 11th 2019, 09:26 AM

Grounding. That is the best thing you can do right now. I know it's difficult, but it works. Do you have a stone or something similar that you can carry around and feel to keep you stable and sturdy? If this isn't a possibility, try fiddling with a piece of jewelry, like an earring or bracelet to keep your hands distracted, that way you're not thinking about things you can do to keep your hands busy.

Like was said previously, distraction is key, and it's great you're trying to practice the art of distraction now, but perhaps maybe you need to try something new if music and playing on your phone isn't working. You say it's hard to concentrate, so is there any way you can perhaps go for a run or a walk? That would help your pent up energy and release some endorphins into the body.

When I used to hallucinate and hear voices, I would talk to someone about it as it was happening to keep me occupied as well tried as the above things. If I was in a good enough head space, I would also simply just ignore what was going on in my mind, if that makes sense? I'd pretend the voices or hallucinations weren't there.

I kind of know what your going through and I'm always here if you need anything. You will get through this, it just takes time and finding the right medication. Eventually you may even learn to control these things without medication like I have, but again, it takes a lot of time and therapy and learning new coping skills.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I知 in psychosis. What do I do? - August 13th 2019, 08:55 PM

I haven't been taking the medicine. Part of it is because the one prescribed increases the chances of Metabolic Syndrome, which I am already at risk for, but really it's because I don't want to lose my sense of connection to everything. I feel so connected to the world and it's beautiful. Everyone says it's fake but I feel like I am really on to something. I don't want to lose it. I don't want to go back to feeling the way I did. It wasn't that I felt disconnected, but I didn't feel like this.

I could do without the anxiety though, and my intrusive thoughts are coming back. It's hard for me to stay focused because I am also manic and my thoughts are running really quickly so basically I just jump from one anxious thought to the next. But I did some yoga today and that seemed to help. It's just I don't do it every day.

I want the goodness of it without all the shit. How can I do that?

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
No one had to know
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Unbreakable

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: I知 in psychosis. What do I do? - August 13th 2019, 09:50 PM

The medicine may make you feel foggy for the first few months, but afterwards you should snap out of it. I'm not a medical professional, but that's what I experienced with the antipsychotics I was on. I've been on multiple, Haldol, Abilify, and Geodon to name a few. The best one I found was abilify, I was on it for seven years and it helped me tremendously without the disconnection. Everyone has different experiences with different medicines though and it may not be the best for you, but have you talked to your doctor about other medicines that have less side effects?

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I知 in psychosis. What do I do? - August 14th 2019, 09:39 PM

I spoke to the doctor today and he told me all atypical antipsychotics that are new, including one I've been on for years, increase the risk of Metabolic Syndrome. Now I'm scared to take ANY of my meds. I've gained weight in the last few weeks (I get weighed at doctors appointments that are two weeks apart) and I'm the heaviest I've ever been, without having drastically changed my diet or exercise habits. I worry it's the medicine. I don't know what to do.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
No one had to know
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Re: I知 in psychosis. What do I do? - August 18th 2019, 07:40 PM

Hey Jordan,

How are you doing?

It's always frustrating when having to deal with medication side effects, especially if it can increase the risk of metabolic syndrome. It must be hard trying to balance your mental and physical health and it's understandable you would feel tempted not to take the antipsychotic because of the weight gain and risk of the metabolic syndrome. Is it possible to talk to a professional about finding ways to manage the risk and being able to treat both your mental and physical health? According to this article, you can prevent and possibly reverse metabolic syndrome by living a healthier lifestyle- eating healthy, exercising, cutting down on alcohol and smoking etc. I understand that medications can cause weight gain and that can be difficult to deal with so maybe a doctor can make suggestions as to the best way to manage the weight gain.

I also understand that you don't want to lose the connection you have to the world during the psychosis. It can be difficult realising that this connection and feeling you have to the world is limited to the psychosis and that when you aren't going through the psychosis, you won't feel the same. Maybe you could try finding ways of safely expressing your feelings of connection, perhaps through art or some other means?

I'm glad to hear that you did some yoga the other day and it helped a bit with the anxiety.

Keep us updated if it helps

SKITTLIFY!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I知 in psychosis. What do I do? - August 19th 2019, 06:11 AM

I haven't taken any psychotic in two days. It's causing friction in my relationship with my roommate, who also happens to be my ex.

Honestly, I don't even know what's going on anymore. When we fought about it tonight I broke down crying about how beautiful I find the world and that, even though the psychosis sometimes terrifies me, I don't want to lose the beauty. It's just SO real. I know it's the psychosis causing these feelings of love and "special powers" but I can't convince myself it's not real. It's very confusing and, as a result, I am cross when someone tries to point out that the connections I am feeling are not real.

My regular psychiatrist isn't making me take the Rexulti, but she did increase my Saphris, which is the antipsychotic I was already on for sleep. It's like I rebelled because I haven't taken it in two days and, thus, haven't slept in two days. Which will eventually make me manic. I told my roommate I'd sleep tomorrow night since she'll let me sleep in her bed but she said what about the next night, and the night after that?

I said I'd sleep on nights my roommate is home but she's home tonight and I'm not sleeping. I know by tomorrow night I will want to sleep but the next night she's not here? I'll feel like everything is a threat again. I will feel unsafe. I will want to stay up.

I don't know how to stop this. I should just take my sleeping meds/antipsychotic, I know I should. But it's like there's this wall I can't get past. I'm NEVER med resistant. Ever. This is totally new territory for me. What do I do?

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
No one had to know
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Re: I知 in psychosis. What do I do? - August 22nd 2019, 09:32 PM

Psychosis can be really confusing. It makes sense that you would have a lot of strong feelings and sensations, some good and some bad, during psychosis and that it can be difficult to accept that these feelings are because of the psychosis and aren't real- to you, they are very real. It makes sense you wouldn't want other people telling you that they aren't real either. Have you tried talking to your roommate about how you feel when they say it's not real and that it might help for them to not argue with you?

It can be comforting sleeping with someone, especially when you feel unsafe. It also must be really hard if you are finding yourself med resistant too. You know that you should take your sleeping meds/anti psychotics..maybe you can think of good reasons to take them to help overcome the resistance? For example, if you take your meds then maybe it will improve relationships and stop arguments with your roommate, and maybe you'll be able to sleep and get rest so that you feel less unsafe?

SKITTLIFY!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lucy

Re: I知 in psychosis. What do I do? - August 23rd 2019, 05:13 PM

Hi lovely.
How are you feeling? Better?
You're welcome to write to me.
I suffer from schizphrenia and I know a lot about psychosis.

Hugs from Lucy

private message & visitor message
I'm here for you, if you need to talk.

的 am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.
Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls

Closed Thread