Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe
TH Anonymous's Avatar

Posts: 192
Join Date: January 5th 2009

How to access a therapist - November 10th 2019, 05:32 AM

[SIZE="a"]I'm 18 and still on my parents medical plan, which lasts until I'm 25. However I have no information on said plan. With my father needing physical therapy after a car accident, (back injury, still can walk but his back goes out a lot), and a stepmother with cancer, me and my sister's health were put on the back-burner. Which was fine, since my sisters and I don't have any major health problems. I still went to the doctor for PCOS, but my prescription ended and I was supposed to check in, but didn't. I figured, "Okay, well, when I'm an adult I can do my own appointments and doctor stuff. That's another thing less to do. It's not like my clinic is far away, so I can use public transportation."

As I mentioned I have PCOS, which has gotten better, but it doesn't go away. I mostly concerned about my own mental health. Everyone suspects that I have ADHD, my doctor before I turned 18 suspects I have or had depression. I also have emotional eating problems, and suffer from a few bad habits, such as nail biting.

I mentioned doctor and such to my parents and they told me to not worry about it. Meaning, I'm not gonna get any information on this stuff. I'm trying to get a job that has the benefits, but that can be a bit difficult. So, how do i do access doctors and such??[/size]
Reply With Quote
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!
Celyn's Avatar
Name: Holly
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Wales

Posts: 5,832
Blog Entries: 170
Join Date: June 16th 2009

Re: How to access a therapist - November 13th 2019, 09:00 PM

Hey there,

Sorry for the late reply!

I'm sorry to hear about your father and step mothers ill health. It makes sense that when parents struggle with their health, that other family members health may not be prioritised.

Would it be possible to mention that you haven't checked in with the doctors about your PCOS, and then maybe mention it might be convenient for you to have information of your current medical plan, rather than asking your parents to sort things out? You could also mention the concerns about possible ADHD and depression.

Maybe you could contact your doctor and ask what details you would need to provide regarding the medical plan? Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the health system where you are so can't give more advice, but I hope that others can help you out!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3

Reply With Quote
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran
.:Bibliophile:.'s Avatar
Gender: Just me

Posts: 17,308
Blog Entries: 1796
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: How to access a therapist - November 14th 2019, 01:12 AM

Do you have access to your insurance card? If so most insurance companies have a site where you can look up providers that accept your insurance. The site has all doctors including mental health practitioners. If you don't have your insurance card you should attempt to get it because the insurance card will be needed to see a doctor. Every individual on the medical plan should have an insurance card sent out. Most plans send out new ones yearly (around the end of the year).

If you know what insurance you have you might be able to call the company and ask for a new one to be sent out. They should be able to find you in the system. They will probably need whichever parent the plans under information such as date of birth and possibly social security number.

If you are on medi-cal/medicaid you should be able to get a new one sent out too. You'd call them and explain you need a new card. They might ask for your parents information bht since you're over 18 some agencies would take your information to confirm identity etc.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|
Reply With Quote


access, therapist

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.