TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ragamuffin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Scout
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 4,647, Level: 10 Points: 4,647, Level: 10 Points: 4,647, Level: 10

Unhappy Quarantine - April 2nd 2020, 08:07 PM

I know I'm not the only person experiencing this but I just need to get things off my chest as it is really taking its toll on my mental health. I've been feeling terribly alone and isolated. I've had these feelings for a while but they've intensified since the COVID-19 lockdown. I'm trying to use this time to focus on my college assignments, but I often find myself lacking the energy/motivation to do them. I've been losing enthusiasm for other things too. I've tried listening to music and binge-watching series to take my mind off things but nothing seems to work any more. When I'm not working, I end up sleeping in but that usually makes me more tired and I feel like I've wasted the day when I could be doing something productive. It makes me sad that I can't see my mum, my sister or my friends. I call and text regularly but it's not the same as being able to hang out with them. There is so much negativity and uncertainty at the moment, I just want to hear some positive and hopeful news.

Last edited by Ennui.; April 2nd 2020 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Moving to an area where you will get better replies. :)
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Quarantine - April 2nd 2020, 10:28 PM

A lot of people are struggling right now and I want you to know you aren't the only one feeling this way. I spent the past five days binge-watching some 45 episodes of a TV show that had aired on the WB Network back in the 2000s. For me, wanting to do something comes and goes; so how I came to watch over two seasons of this series came from fanfiction. I wanted to read the fanfiction; but I couldn't because it'd been years since I watched the show... so, with that in mind, I decided to load up Netflix (which crashes a lot these days ) and watch it.

What also helps me is getting out of the house. Just because you have to self-isolate does not mean you have to turn the four walls of your home into a 24/7 prison. You can get outside, get fresh air, catch a few rays on nice days, etc etc. Add a hobby in there such as walking or taking pictures. Quarantine does not have to be a nightmare.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Quarantine - April 6th 2020, 09:11 AM

Hello and thanks for sharing!

COVID-19 lockdown is taking a toll on all of us; with our regular routines disrupted, it's hard to suddenly adapt to doing all our work and assignments from home.

I'm a college student myself and I can understand how different it is doing assignments from home. In fact, I was under a very strict lockdown whereby I couldn't even go out for a walk, because I had previously travelled from a high-risk area. I can give you a little tip from my experience over the past few weeks of "attending" college virtually - plan your day-to-day activities in small chunks.

I know that there are many who find it hard to follow a plan/timetable, but a big reason for that is that they are assigning too many things for themselves in a single day. Perhaps you could say:

- listen to 2-3 lectures (2 hours)
- half an hour break/lunch
- do a bit of my assignment (1-2 hours)
- And call it a day!

Start on your assignments early so you won't have to cram having to do them; these strange circumstances are stressful as it is! You'll find that getting little chunks of work done each day goes a long way in boosting your morale!

I also found that exercising helped a lot. I just jogged on the spot for 20 min every second day, or followed from home workouts by Danielle Peazer. Go out for a walk. Maybe try your hand at cooking, baking or a new hobby! I am currently learning how to decorate a cake and it's the little incentive I give myself after getting some college work done.

I understand how difficult it is not being able to see your family; tell yourself that this is a passing cloud, and better times will come. Remember, humans have lived through tougher times like war; no doubt our current circumstances are no cakewalk, but it probably could have been much worse. Stay strong!

If you feel your day isn't as productive as you would have liked it to be, don't be too hard on yourself. Tell yourself tomorrow is another day and you can start on a clean slate the following day.

Take care!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Quarantine - April 8th 2020, 09:27 PM

Sorry to hear you are struggling with the lockdown. I hope the previous replies helped though!

It's understandable that if you have felt lonely and isolated before then the lockdown may only make these things worse or more noticeable. But it might help to remember that this lockdown won't last forever (though I'm sure it feels like it at times!) While we've never been in this situation before and lockdown may continue for quite some time yet, each day is a day closer to lockdown eventually ending.

It's good that you are trying to use this time to be productive or distract yourself. But I think it can sometimes be good to accept that you are having a difficult time right now rather than feeling bad when you've not been productive. I definitely agree with trying to create a routine that incorporates both work and leisure though to try to keep you balanced- so that you aren't trying to do too much nor too little and then feeling guilty.

It must be so hard not being able to see your mum, sister and friends, and even then calls and texts are a good way to keep in touch, it's natural that you'd prefer to be with them. What's helping me at the moment when I miss people is to think about all the things I'd like to do with them when lockdown ends. This may help as it can give you something positive to focus on but be careful as you may end up missing your loved ones more. You could just think about it in general terms what you'd like to do when lockdown is eventually over...me and my family have all realised things we have taken for granted and have decided we won't take these things for granted again!

You might also want to let someone, whether it's family or a friend, know how you feel. Chances are they feel the same way and it can help to reassure each other.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Allyson Wood Offline
Average Joe

Points: 5,350, Level: 10 Points: 5,350, Level: 10 Points: 5,350, Level: 10

Re: Quarantine - April 10th 2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity. View Post
A lot of people are struggling right now and I want you to know you aren't the only one feeling this way. I spent the past five days binge-watching some 45 episodes of a TV show that had aired on the WB Network back in the 2000s. For me, wanting to do something comes and goes; so how I came to watch over two seasons of this series came from fanfiction. I wanted to read the fanfiction; but I couldn't because it'd been years since I watched the show... so, with that in mind, I decided to load up Netflix (which crashes a lot these days ) and watch it.

What also helps me is getting out of the house. Just because you have to self-isolate does not mean you have to turn the four walls of your home into a 24/7 prison. You can get outside, get fresh air, catch a few rays on nice days, etc etc. Add a hobby in there such as walking or taking pictures. Quarantine does not have to be a nightmare.
Thank you for sharing your insight. It helps a lot in these difficult times--
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Ernest432 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 991, Level: 4 Points: 991, Level: 4 Points: 991, Level: 4

Re: Quarantine - October 21st 2020, 09:23 AM

During quarantine depression and anxiety often dominate the thoughts in mind. I do regular exercise to keep my mind away from such negativity. For this I've managed a home gym after buying necessary equipment. For preventing injuries I follow online coaching and guides.
Closed Thread