TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-mental-health/)
-   -   How do you cope? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-mental-health/t162358-how-do-you-cope/)

DeletedAccount81 December 9th 2021 12:35 AM

How do you cope?

The holidays are a tough time of year for a lot of people for various reasons. How do you cope? Do you have anything that helps you ground yourself in situations that can be stressful or overstimulating? What advice do you have for others who may be struggling right now?

Writing is something that always helps and I'm trying to do a better job at recognizing my triggers and knowing how to manage them accordingly — I am mindful of my thought process and how I am feeling internally. If I know something's about to happen, I make a better effort to walk away.

I feel it is harder as someone who has Autism and undetermined FOMO — Fear of Missing Out.

Feel free to share your advice and experience with others here! :)

Ennui. December 9th 2021 07:45 PM

Re: How do you cope?

I do things totally unrelated like play nom holiday games on my Switch.

DeletedAccount81 December 9th 2021 09:54 PM

Yeah, I guess avoiding anything that reminds you of what's making you upset is the absolute best thing to do!

Stacey December 9th 2021 11:39 PM

I've gotten better over the years as saying no to things I know will make me feel worse such as too many gatherings. I've been lucky enough the last 5 years to work somewhere where we take time off, typically between Christmas and New Years so I have time to incorporate more self-care and just have some time to decompress.

I make sure I do the few things about the holidays that I do enjoy, like watching specific Christmas movies and baking.

Dawn. December 11th 2021 01:13 AM

I have taken it one day at a time to be honest. Although I have gotten a lot better over the years.

lonely16 December 14th 2021 01:14 AM

I'm currently in therapy and when something comes up I visualize my therapist, her office and imagine myself telling her what happened. I basically talk to her in my mind. This really grounds me and just calms me down. Like ok, I have someone to talk this out with...You can do this with a friend, mentor- whoever makes you feel safe. This is something that I can do in a "social setting" i.e. even when I'm not alone, I just use my brain. BTW half the time I don't discuss the specific situations with my therapist... This technique really helps me.
To sum it up: visualize/actually talk out the situation in your mind with someone who makes you feel safe and you trust.
Hope this helps!

Silvan December 14th 2021 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonely16 (Post 1373968)
I'm currently in therapy and when something comes up I visualize my therapist, her office and imagine myself telling her what happened. I basically talk to her in my mind. This really grounds me and just calms me down. Like ok, I have someone to talk this out with...You can do this with a friend, mentor- whoever makes you feel safe. This is something that I can do in a "social setting" i.e. even when I'm not alone, I just use my brain. BTW half the time I don't discuss the specific situations with my therapist... This technique really helps me.
To sum it up: visualize/actually talk out the situation in your mind with someone who makes you feel safe and you trust.
Hope this helps!

This is super interesting. I've never heard before of a technique involving imagining a conversation with a therapist.

JolantaAgata March 26th 2022 02:24 PM

Speak out! Never get into an addiction because of stress

Rika October 9th 2022 06:59 PM

Playing video games, posting on social media, and just talking to people on Discord. I am able to cope with the holidays and really any time of the year doing those things. If social media becomes too much I walk away.

DeletedAccount81 December 1st 2022 08:13 PM

It's that time of the year again so I thought I'd bring this thread back!

How is everyone dealing with the beginning of the holidays? Do you have a 'safe' plan in place if things get overwhelming? If you do, then please share them here for others as some sort of resource, if you will. :) i have lights and ornaments on my tree, and my tabletop decorations. It really helps lift the mood, especially after it gets dark out at 4:15pm. It gives me something to appreciate during the longest nights of the year. :)

Remember, TeenHelp is here if you need it. :hug:

Dawn. December 2nd 2022 08:39 AM

I still tend to take one day at a time and to face any challenges when it comes.