TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-mental-health/)
-   -   Is it time to quit? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-mental-health/t163167-time-quit/)

Nikkkkki August 23rd 2022 06:09 AM

Is it time to quit?

Im currently at some kind of training camp for dancing. I have been dancing for about 4 months now and this is the first time i went to camp. Ive been here for 3 days and i cant do it anymore. I feel so lonely and sad all the time. I just constantly cry. I dont want my dance partner or coaches to be disappointed in me but my parents did offer to come pick me up. I just really dont know if i should go home or keep pushing for another week.

Ennui. August 23rd 2022 07:38 AM

Re: Is it time to quit?

Hey,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re struggling in camp!

Do you think it would help you to try and get to know other people at the camp? You have a common interest in dancing that can be the start of a conversation. Ask them a question or make a comment about a lesson and start a conversation from there, for example. I know it’s scary but it may help! Your dance partner may be a good person to start with.

Or do you think you can talk to your coaches and tell them you’re feeling lonely? I don’t think they’ll be disappointed in you. They’re there to help and they’ve probably experienced this before with other people who have gone to camp.

If you want, try and make a pros and cons list of the reasons you should stay or the reasons you should go home. For example, two things on the stay list could be that you are learning more about dancing and can gain new skills, and also that you can meet new people and make new friends. You also may feel proud of yourself for sticking it out. On the go home list you can add things like you’ll have the comfort of being home. You also probably wouldn’t have to see any of the people at camp again so if they’re disappointed it doesn’t really matter. What other things can you think of for both sides? See if the pros of staying outweigh pros of going home.

I’d say give it some thought before jumping into a decision. I know it’s tough but you’ve got this!

Dez

Astro04 August 23rd 2022 08:24 AM

Hello!
For me is the best decision to stay.
At least, your love of dancing brought you to the camp. Just keep follow it, and don't think else.

Arabesque- golfing girl. August 23rd 2022 09:46 AM

Hi, I am sorry that you are having a hard time with this and I hope that you will be okay soon. It can be hard to go to a camp and you do not know everyone who is at this place. Everyone who is at this camp enjoys dancing like you, like what was said up above can you try to get to know the others and see if you can try talking to them and sitting down with them when they are having lunch or dinner? Sometimes they maybe shy too or not sure what to say and you can try asking them what do they enjoy about dancing and that would be a great way to get the conversation started. Also see about talking to the different coaches and let them know that you are having a hard time and see if they can put you in a group with nice people and try talking with them if you can. I wish you the best with this and hope that you start to have fun.

Everglow. August 23rd 2022 06:42 PM

Hey there,

When I read your post it immediately resonated with me. When I first went to university, I moved away from home and got into a really bad way. Three weeks later, after crying almost every night and not sleeping, eating, or showering, I made the decision to come home. The following year, I went to a different university, and ended up graduating much happier.

The point is that, we all have thresholds and sometimes we reach our limit. It's really important to recognise when you're unhappy or uncomfortable. I made the decision to leave, but this isn't necessarily what's right for you. The only person who can decide is you.

I would definitely recommend talking to somebody you trust. It sounds like you have some amazing friends who are willing to help if you want to leave, so that's amazing. Do you think you could talk to them about what you're thinking and why? Equally, if you feel comfortable doing so, talking to your coach could be really useful too. Chances are the coach has had people in the camp before who have also really struggled, and will know how to help in some way. Maybe they can help you to stick it out for a few more days just to see if things improve, but if not, they may be able to offer you another camp at another time. Being open and honest is a really good way to make sure you've explored all options, and to make the decision best for you.

Whatever that choice is, please don't ever worry about disappointing people. I had that fear too, but in the end had everyone I knew supporting me for doing the best thing for myself. Decisions like this are difficult, and it's hard to know the right choice to make, but as long as you're doing it for you, then it won't be the wrong one.

If you want to chat at all please let me know! I hope you're doing okay.

Rika October 8th 2022 04:07 AM

I have quit things due to being unhappy or uncomfortable before. It's not a big deal at all! We all change our mind about liking things. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best. Everyone already gave some great answers.