TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hide and Seek Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lauren

Possible ADD? =[ - July 15th 2009, 01:54 AM

I'm really nervous right now, because I think I might have ADD, if not slightly, then moderately. I was just looking up information on it tonight and I realized that I have almost all of the symptoms- inability to focus,attempting to perform multiple tasks at one time, inability to finish these tasks, etc. I also find it hard to concentrate on things I find difficult, like I give up easily even though if I worked at it a bit longer I'm sure I could do it. The only thing that I don't have a problem with is talking to people, and having difficulty carrying on conversations was a symptom. So, basically, I want to maybe get it checked out, since I'm going to college in the fall and I don't want to be struggling so much with my procrastination and focusing problems. The only thing is that I also don't want to be put on medication if I were to have ADD. That just scares me, the idea of depending upon a medication to keep my brain focused. What should I do? Can anyone help me or relate to this?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: Possible ADD? =[ - July 15th 2009, 03:00 AM

If you are absolutely, 100% NOT going to consider taking medication of any kind, then what's the point of finding out whether or not you have ADD/ADHD? What will it accomplish, aside from confirming your fears, and labeling you as something that's in some way "disfunctional"? How will obtaining this knowledge cause you to become a better student, if you aren't willing to take measures to correct the imbalances caused by this disorder?

You're going off to college, so I'm assuming you've been able to maintain a decent GPA/decent grades throughout your elementary/secondary years. It could be that you simply haven't managed to acquire the strongest of study skills, or that you are lacking in confidence and/or disciple. It's common for even the most accomplished of high school graduates to doubt themselves as the college enrollment deadline approaches.

One of my best friends has ADD/ADHD (it's hereditary). He's been on medication for years, and yet... I feel like the majority of his problems lie in the fact that he never bothered to acquire a strong set of study skills during his elementary/middle school years. As a result, he does quite well in the things he cares about, but does rather poorly in the classes that he finds boring, pointless, or where he dislikes the teacher and/or their teaching style.

I feel that ADD/ADHD is a diagnosis given to many people who simply... aren't... suffering from the disorder. Oftentimes, the simplest explanation is the best explanation. =)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Possible ADD? =[ - July 15th 2009, 08:16 AM

I say this too many times... you need to meet the diagnostic criteria not simply look and check off what symptoms you have. There also needs to be some background info. on you, your family, possible medical/psychiatric history of you and your family, etc... . You don't just look on a website, check off most of the symptoms and say "I have this and that". There's a criteria you must meet, look either in the DSM-IV-TR or ICD-10 (depending where you live you'll use one of them).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reakless Emotion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Brittany

Re: Possible ADD? =[ - July 15th 2009, 09:45 PM

Hi Lauren,

Add is definitely an option, although your not sure with the fact that you are able to carry on a conversation, your other symptoms do link to those of someone who has ADD. I did a major project on the different disabilities that are found in people, and Add definitely relate to your situation. In order to know for sure you need to talk to your doctor, but if you do, be prepared to be put on medication. I know a few people with Add/ Adhd, and they are doing just fine after taking some medication. I wish you all the best

Brittany

And I will take you in my arms, and hold you right where you belong.
Til the day my life is through, this I promise you.121109

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Vimtoad Offline
Filling my panties with candy
I can't get enough

Re: Possible ADD? =[ - July 15th 2009, 10:08 PM

hey, i have ADHD, i will admit i had to take medication, i started on ritalins, then got moved onto concerta (extra strong ritalin) and taking them is no fun, but at the end of the day if they help concentrate ect, then its worth a go, the other ones i found helped me were simply something you can buy in any health store, cod liver oil capsules. ok, you are probably thinking ew cod live oil capsules, but they help you concentrate, i took them and am now off medication for my ADHD. if you think you do have ADD/ADHD got to a doctor get it checked out, i dont take medication, i dont think my concentration much better but its a bit better, even if you arre not going to take medication teacher will be aware you have it and hopefully will understand if you cant concentrate all the time. if you think you do have ADD/ADHD get ti checked out it may turn out to be nothing. but i would still get it checked out.

Closed Thread