TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Killionaire Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

What could I possibly have? - August 22nd 2009, 04:04 AM

I understand that nobody on here is allowed to diagnose, but I'd like to get a general direction...and for the love of God, don't type "LOL WE CANT DIAGNOSE YA". Anyway, here are some symptoms. I'm pointing towards Agoraphobia. I dunno.

. Although I'm outspoken, and somewhat charismatic, I'm only social when I have to be. I enjoy spending my free time alone, but it's starting to get weird. I'm always holed up in the house, and even my parents/family are getting concerned. I haven't gone out with friends since the Sixth grade. I've tried a few times in the past few years, but I always ended up feeling uncomfortable, or bored.

. I have an extremely overactive imagination. I'll have these weird, epic daydreams, in which there will be recurring characters, fictional universes-within-universes, and more. I can't sit still when I think about them. I have to pace around my room, usually listening to music, or clasping something between my hands.

. I have frequent bits of random, unexplainable rage. I'll think of something that just gets me mad, or I'll SEE something that makes me angry, and I'll go nuts. In lieu of cutting, I bite down on my finger/hand really hard.

. I get extremely nervous during changes of my action-packed schedule, which consists of using the computer, and watching TV. I get nervous when the phone rings, or when the doorbell rings. I often have panic attacks the days before the first day of school.

. I'm very embarrassed of my family + house + the area of town I live in, so I rarely leave the house.

. I would rather fall in love than be involved in a friendship with someone.

. I often make weird noises and faces by myself, when I'm alone.

. Although I'm 16, it's hard for me to understand the concept of responsibility and growing up. I dread the concept of getting a job/driving/going to college, and when I (stupidly) tried one hit of Marijuana once, I got extremely nervous, as if I lost my innocence.

. I'd kill myself, but I'm so self conscious that I don't want my picture in the newspaper, or my name being tossed around school.

. I have absolutely no skills. I'm lazy, and pessimistic, yet I keep thinking I'm going to be rich and successful.

. I'm slightly (teeensy bit) overweight, my hair is wonky, and my teeth are crooked, yet I scrutinize beautiful people for their small shortcomings.

. I've made up several imaginary people in my mind.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
darlingllnikki Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What could I possibly have? - August 23rd 2009, 01:12 PM

you sound like a teenager, not gonna lie. if you go looking for things to be wrong with you, you will eventually find something.
many of the things you are saying could all because of not being with people. the daydreams could be from boredom, or your mind trying to make up for the lack of social interactions.

if you truly think something is wrong, go talk to a professional.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: What could I possibly have? - August 24th 2009, 11:48 AM

Like you said, we cannot diagnose you with anything. We can however offer information on the disorder.

It is possible that you have agoraphobia, and what you need to understand is that you can have severe or mild agoraphobia and that doesn't mean you are 'a teenager'. You mentioned that you suffer from panic attacks, you are very self concious and you don't leave you house because of embarrassment. All of which have strong links with agoraphobia.

I would reccomend that you pay a visit to your GP to see if you need to be referred to the appropriate mental health services near you.

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: What could I possibly have? - August 24th 2009, 12:12 PM

Hey there,

I know that it's not what you exactly want to hear and it's good that you already realise that we can't diagnose you and you can't diagnose yourself either. Self diagnosis is not a good idea at all as you can often start displaying symptoms of things that you look up, such as agoraphobia.

None of these symptoms really 'jump out' at me as anything to be alarmed about (if they're not effecting you daily) and I don't think that any of these things are honestly that unusual for teenagers. I'm sure that many people could relate to some of the things that you have posted, myself included - that doesn't mean that I or all of those other teenagers must have a mental illness.

However, if you're very concerned and these things are affecting your everyday life then don't hesitate to go and see a doctor about these issues.

Take care.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: What could I possibly have? - August 24th 2009, 12:33 PM

Hey,
I don't think you have to worry about all of the symptoms you've listed. Daydreams and vivid imaginations are, a lot of the time, completely normal (if "normal" is the right term to use - I personally don't think there's such a thing, because everybody is different). Some of the things you've listed do sound a bit more serious, like panic attacks and possible agoraphobia. It's good that you've noticed these things, but try not to become too fixated by them. If it worries you then the best thing to do is see an expert, or even just talk to your family. I hope it helps, and I'm sorry I'm not much of an expert myself. I'm sure whatever it is, you will be OK.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Justanotherteen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What could I possibly have? - August 26th 2009, 05:47 AM

This is my personal opinion but I don't believe in slapping a label on symptoms and saying its all one big disorder. You might have several behaviors of certain disorders, but I think they may come from social anxieties and stress.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Killionaire Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What could I possibly have? - August 27th 2009, 04:37 AM

I kinda guessed mild Agoraphobia was the case. Here are some other little points I'd like to bring up:

. When talking to many people, I constantly repeat myself, stutter, or attempt to abort the conversation mid-sentence. When I speak, I often think that the person I'm talking to will be interested, even though I bring up things that only I would know. It's very awkward.

. I'm extremely sensitive to music. The right music could put me in a certain mood for a long time, and I'd listen to the same song nonstop for hours.

. I'd remember obscure, generic past experienced vividly, and enjoy them. In fact, the "best" experience I can remember right now is last Christmas, where I rode in the backseat of a car as it drove down the highway. I know. How exciting.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
LoveMeNot Offline
Average Joe

Name: Shelly

Re: What could I possibly have? - August 27th 2009, 10:02 AM

I think you're just over analyzing and looking for something to be wrong. No offense. If at all like someone else said it's probably a social anxiety. Just try to get out more???

---------------------------
I'm not your princess,
This an't our fairy tail.
I'm gonna find someone someday
Who might actually treat me well

---------------------------
I'll Keep You My Dirty Little Secret

Closed Thread