TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - September 6th 2009, 05:17 PM

So my psychologist and guidance counselor diagnosed me with minor OCD almost a year and a half ago. My guidance counselor helped me to gain control of it and I got better. I was doing so well with it until recently.

It's not bad at all, but it get's very frustrating. My germaphobia and OCD run hand in hand really. I clean my house everyday top to bottom, and it takes 2-4 hours. I freak out when things are PERFECTLY clean or when things are really dirty. It stresses me out. When I go out somewhere, I have to have my Hand Sanitizer and my Clorox Wipes and Lysol to Go things.

It's really just all little things that bother me. But it takes up so much time to deal with.

Any advice on how to regain control?

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#2 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - September 6th 2009, 09:49 PM

I have the same exact problem, although i haven't been diagnosed with anything. It's really hard for me to go one day without cleaning. I don't really have any advice for you seeing as i'm going through the same thing; but i just thought i'd let you know that you are not alone in this at all.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - September 6th 2009, 10:28 PM

Thank you. Do you get anxious when you're in a dirty place? Or worry about germs being in everything?

SH Free since 10.20.08

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Life Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - September 7th 2009, 12:59 AM

Let it happen.

little microorganisms can't hurt you. And even if they could, so what? In all honesty, I would prefer death over having to live life everyday in fear - especially over meaningless, little things. (Though I am not encouraging suicide since your problem is very well curable)

Don't sanitize yourself for 10 days and if you're still alive, then great. After those 10 days don't give yourself an illogical reason such as the only reason you didn't get infected was because of pure luck or you didn't touch this or that.

Do this for the things you love in life; you are guilty for not being able to dedicate greater time and mind to those things because you are overridden by insignificant little details.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - September 7th 2009, 01:24 AM

It's harder than just dropping it for 10 days. Like it's not THAT easy.

SH Free since 10.20.08

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - September 7th 2009, 01:25 AM

Hey Kac,

I have OCD as well, and I can relate to what you said.
The best thing you can do is fight your compulsions. When you feel the urge to clean obsessively, fight it. Delay it. Remind yourself, "This is OCD and I don't need to give into it." Make a list of distraction techniques. The more you can break the cycle of obsessing (worrying about germs) and doing the compulsion (cleaning, washing hands, etc.) the less power it will have. So when you get the obsession, distract. Watch tv, call a friend, come on TH, do anything you can to delay doing the compulsion. At first you might end up doing it, and that's okay. But keep putting more time in between the urge and the action. Does that make sense?

I want to recommend an AMAZING book, that truly helped. It is called Brain Lock by Jeffery Schwartz and it helps so much with the type of OCD that you are describing.

Best of luck to you and don't hesitate to PM me if you want to talk.
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Life Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - September 7th 2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefaithlove View Post
It's harder than just dropping it for 10 days. Like it's not THAT easy.

Well ask yourself: How isn't it easy? What are the factors that are making it hard? Is it the anxiety and fear you get from not following your daily habits?
You think that the anxiety will be solved only when you preform the precise steps to keep clean. But honestly, how much longer are you going to want to go through with this? How confident are you that this isn't just going to be just getting more and more obsessive? I can't imagine having to live life by the sink everyday. You hate it, which is why you posted. It's time to break the loophole. NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO YOU, forget your scientific theories, and mindless nonsense, if you want reassurance here it is. Just stop fearing it, that's the only thing stopping you from leading a productive life.

It isn't easy which is why the reward at the end of those 10 days is just so much more precious.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - September 7th 2009, 02:38 AM

I think I have a little problem with it as well... I've gotten A LOT better with it... Sometimes you literally just have to walk away and forget about it. It's going to take awhile. You just have to think to yourself, "Even if I ____ It's not going to change anything. So If I don't do it, It's okay." THAT'S what you have to say, those magic words.

And remember, It's all in the mind. Control your own mind. Beat your mind.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - September 7th 2009, 03:25 AM

Thank you for all of the replies. I will definitely have to check out that book! And I'll have to try telling myself those things.

Gosh, in order to rid myself of this, it sounds a lot like stopping self harm. Like alternatives and everything. How scary and overwhelming.

It's making me anxious just thinking about not cleaning and having to tell myself no!

To Life: I do have a very productive life. So don't assume that just because I have OCD means I don't have a productive life. And OCD is not "mindless nonsense," it is very daunting to give up my control.

SH Free since 10.20.08

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - September 7th 2009, 03:33 AM

Kac,

It is very similar to stopping self-harm! The alternatives, the positive self-talk, etc. The list of self-harm alternatives can be helpful with countering OCD as well. You mentioned that you are already feeling anxious. Unfortunately, that's how it's going to feel for a while. At first, it's going to feel SO uncomfortable to not clean or to not give into any other compulsion. But the important thing to hold onto (and I can tell you from experience that this is the truth) is that the anxiety will go down. So at first, when you don't clean, you will feel anxious and uncomfortable. But try as hard as you can to sit through that feeling because it WILL diminish. I promise.

I know how hard this is--it is definitely a big deal and super scary! I believe in you.
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - September 7th 2009, 04:59 AM

Thank you SO SO much Jen, I really appreciate all the support. Gives me the courage to know that I can do this. <3

SH Free since 10.20.08

(#12 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - September 7th 2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefaithlove View Post
Thank you. Do you get anxious when you're in a dirty place? Or worry about germs being in everything?
All of the time. It's weird because i developed it "suddenly". I used to be a messy person. Now i can't stand untidiness or crumbs or anything of the sort.

Jen, you're advice has been very helpful.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#13 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - September 7th 2009, 02:56 PM

Same. I was a messy person so much. And now messes/dirt stress me out =/.

But Jen did give terrific advice!

SH Free since 10.20.08

Closed Thread