TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Noctis Offline
Scary Sharp
Average Joe

Is there anything I need other than intensive therapy? - September 8th 2009, 08:33 AM

Okay, I hate to say this, but it took me 21 years before I've finally come to realize that I need some serious therapy.

I'm anti-social, unfriendly, pessimistic, hypocrite, paranoid, introvert, and I also tend to have violent fantasies. I have no friends, and I generally don't give a damn about people. I have a whole slew of other problems that I don't even want to mention.

I'm just wondering if intensive therapy isn't the best way to turn my life upside down. Talking it over with friends and family sounds like a good first suggestion(not to mention free), and yet...I don't have any friends.

I'm personally considering therapy as my most important investment as of now. And yet, the costs and benefits of it simply staggers me. I only have $15,000 in my bank, and most types of therapy for drug or alcohol addiction charges that much for mere months. I'm personally thinking I'll need at least a year or two to "fix" me.

"I am the shadow cast by the light of science."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Is there anything I need other than intensive therapy? - September 8th 2009, 09:34 AM

Hi Noctis!!

I hope you're having a dandy day!!

21 years might seem like a long time before a 'light' clicks ON - but an awful lot of people go to their graves [At a very old age] without EVER seeing that 'light'. So don't worry yourself about that. Besides - none of us can change our past. We can only do something about our present AND our future.

Whenever someone presents me with a LIST of 'faults' - I try to find the 'primer' [So to speak] the one 'thing' that ALL of the 'faults' are anchored to. For instance - given the fact that you're 'unfriendly' would certainly have a lot to do with you not having any friends. [See what I mean] So really - 'not having any friends' isn't the 'problem' - being 'unfriendly' is the 'problem'. [And so on] So let's see if 'we' can find the 'primer'. What ONE thing are all of [Or at least most of] your problems coming from? Based on your list - I'd say that it's quite likely that NONE of what you listed is the REAL problem. And THAT just might BE the 'problem'. You need to find that one 'thing'. I'd say - it's quite likely that THE 'problem' has something to do with you being unjustifiably HURT sometime in your life. Perhaps someone - or even some 'event' - made you feel powerless and extremely vulnerable. And in response TO what that person did [Or SAID] and/or what you experienced during an event - you 'put on' [So to speak] a protective 'armor' to shield you from ever being hurt again. That being the case - believe me - you are NOT alone. That happens a LOT!! Trouble is - that 'armor' usually ends up becoming far more of a burden to us than a blessing. At one time - it might have done a pretty good job of keeping us 'safe' and protecting us from being hurt. But if we keep the 'armor' on even after it is no longer necessary - it goes from being a 'positive thing' to a very 'negative thing'.

So I have to ask you...... can you think of a person and/or event that might have caused you put on that 'armor'?!

Let me know - and we can go from there. [If you like]

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

Closed Thread