TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
paul Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: paul

tyler - September 10th 2009, 08:36 AM

lately i've got a pretty good handle on this
but i still need to tell someone, even if they are strangers such as yourselves. so this is what goes on
any time when i think to much, sit quiet for to long, get stressed over a situation
there is someone else.
i dont know how to describe it, i gave him an image simply so i dident just hear a voice in my head, but now i see his face or better said his mask.
he dosent approve of the ones i care about, he is always in my dreams. i have him under control though he hasent gotten out since winter, but the more time goes by the more his words seem to build up and i wonder if in winter time again it will all come out, i dont want to lose anyone over the absured ideals another side of me may have.

he's to violent. and im afraid that if i keep him locked away, my mind will be the only thing to suffer.
  Send a message via AIM to paul  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: tyler - September 10th 2009, 07:49 PM

Hey Paul,

Sorry this is happening to you. It must not feel good at all. It sounds like you may be suffering from a disorder called multiple personality disorder. You should probably do some research on it and see if the symptoms match yours. I suggest though you talk to someone such as a close family friend about what you are going through. That way they can maybe help you find someone to talk to professionally or even get some medicine for it. Hope this helps!
~Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cosmicillusion Offline
bella.
Not a n00b

Name: bella

Re: tyler - September 10th 2009, 07:52 PM

i agree with Aleesa, it sounds like multiple personality disorder.
its not that bad if youre calm with it.
just go to a psychiatrist and do things that make you happy and dont stress yourself out.
try not to overthink things either, that can cause major stress.
trust me. :\
be happy though. the more you frown, the more wrinkles youre going to get when your older!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: tyler - September 10th 2009, 10:28 PM

Please note: We cannot diagnose you with anything, Alessa and Bella have only made suggestions as to a posibility.

Whilst it is possible that you may suffer from Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD) there are a whole range of different issues that could fit what you are describing. As we are not medical professionals and do not have enough information to make a diagnosis it would be impossible to pinpoint one correctly.

Are you getting hallucinations of this person? Do you take medication at the moment? etc.

As this is obviously having a large impact on your life, I would recommend that you visit your GP or other healthcare professional who will be able to point you in the right direction of support to help these thoughts and feelings stop happening!

Keep us updated :]

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#5 (permalink)) Old
paul Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: paul

Re: tyler - September 11th 2009, 10:11 AM

no, i only see him in my head, wich i suppose is a good thing?
but he makes me see other things, i remember a month or so ago i saw a girl get hit by a truck, i was shocked not only by that but by the lack of concern everyone around seemed to have. turned out it dident really happen, i was freaking out for no reason
needless to say it was a rather frightening experience.
but no, i dont take any medication, like i said i havent told anyone about this so as far as the people around me now, i dont need it
and to be honest i dont want to be medicated
  Send a message via AIM to paul  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: tyler - September 11th 2009, 07:13 PM

That is a good thing he stays in your head but it also isn't that good that he seems violent to you. It's great you are keeping it under control but you never know when he could come back out. There are plenty of other ways though to deal with such things as MPD. Just like Adam said we cannot diagnose you but it is just a suggestion. If you tell someone such as a close family member they can help you keep Tyler under control even maybe without medicine. You should try to talk to someone and tell them about Tyler so you can keep him locked away before he might cause more trouble. It may be hard telling someone but it will all be worth it in the end.
Take care,
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: tyler - September 12th 2009, 06:10 AM

For all those saying it sounds like Multiple Personality Disorder or as it's now called in the DSM as Dissociative Identity Disorder, this does NOT meet the requirements as there's only ONE other personality. DID requires minimum of two. If you have only one, then you don't have it, although you may consider looking it up.

As for diagnosing it, DID or MPD is one of the most controversial diagnoses and many doctors don't believe in it, so even if you develop a true case of it, some doctors will say you don't have it because they don't believe in it. Other doctors may jump at it and say you have it right away.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: tyler - September 12th 2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
For all those saying it sounds like Multiple Personality Disorder or as it's now called in the DSM as Dissociative Identity Disorder, this does NOT meet the requirements as there's only ONE other personality. DID requires minimum of two. If you have only one, then you don't have it, although you may consider looking it up.

As for diagnosing it, DID or MPD is one of the most controversial diagnoses and many doctors don't believe in it, so even if you develop a true case of it, some doctors will say you don't have it because they don't believe in it. Other doctors may jump at it and say you have it right away.
Just to clear up any confusion, the DSM-IV has the following under diagnostic criteria for DI

Quote:
The presence of two or more distinct identity or personality states, each with its own relatively enduring pattern of perceiving, relating to, and thinking about the environment and self.
This means that one 'human' needs to have the presence of two or more identities. This would include the 'person' that has the disorder. Therefore to fit the criteria for DID you only need ONE other identity / personality. The DSM-IV however also has the following in the criteria:

Quote:
At least two of these identities or personality states recurrently take control of the person's behavior.
As you said, Tyler is only 'in your head', and you also are able to recall what he does. This means you couldn't have Multiple Personality Disorder or Dissociative Identity Disorder.

Remember: You cannot be diagnosed with anything on TeenHelp. If you feel something is wrong, PLEASE visit a trained doctor.

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: tyler - September 12th 2009, 09:47 AM

The second condition implies TWO identities other than yours, the same goes with the first condition. The disorder is a dissociative one, hence, a feeling of separating yourself from your body. Would it then make sense to include your body in the diagnosis, when the diagnosis is concerning extra personalities? No, it's contradictory. Therefore, you need at least TWO other personality states.

Also, you left out some of the conditions, which is why you are incorrect in stating that you cannot have DID if you remember. This is explained by the third condition:

Inability to recall important personal information that is too extensive to be explained by ordinary forgetfulness.

There is also a phenomena known to occur in people with DID called co-consciousness. It's when you ARE aware of what the other personality state is doing and you can remember some information during that time.

Closed Thread