TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
michaell Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Michael

Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 15th 2009, 11:23 PM

i have aspergers. it is an autism spectrum disorder, it is much less severe than full blown autism. i am nearly completely normal but i cant easily distinguish things like: laughing with me or at me, am i annoying them, do i come across as nervous or angry or any other inappropriate emotion, should i ask that question or say that, etc. i dont talk much but i do sometimes. i get interested with things like politics, math, etc. i am good at logical things but not good with things like reading peoples emotions and understanding social norms and emotional cues and correct responses , i have strong empathy (possibly stronger than most peoples) but i may fail to show it simply because i cant read the other peoples emotions easily.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 16th 2009, 01:03 AM

Hey,
I don't know of anyone on the site with aspergers but I'm pretty sure there must be. I've heard of aspergers and know a little about it.
Paige x

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 16th 2009, 01:57 AM

Hi there,

Welcome to TeenHelp! I don't have Aspergers but I know a lot of people who do. This summer I worked at a day camp for kids and teenagers with Aspergers (and some with Autism) and I've spent a lot of time with them and with other individuals of all ages with Aspergers. My uncle has it, too.

I will look forward to hearing more from you!
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Angelan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 16th 2009, 01:00 PM

I'm kind of glad you mentioned it, I was actually diagnosed a month or so ago, I also have Anxiety disorder, Depression, and OCD... which apparently are fairly normal things to have in combination with aspergers.
I wasn't really sure where to start, so I've just been looking around for others with the same kinda issues as me..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 16th 2009, 01:35 PM

I don't know anyone here that has Asperger's, but my friend has it. I actually had been with him a lot. So, if there is anything you need help with, you can PM me anytime.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magicalisland Offline
Human being
Junior TeenHelper

Name: E. Brill

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 16th 2009, 03:18 PM

I have aspergers. Well, actually I have borderline aspergers which is basically the same thing. I am proud that I have it mainly because it is a type of high functioning autism, so I can lead a relatively normal life and do well at school. Like you I have very specific interests which I will rant on about obsessively (just to warn you). Take care.

Last edited by Magicalisland; September 16th 2009 at 04:27 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 16th 2009, 03:48 PM

Hi there,

I personally do not have Aspergers syndrome, but as you have probably already seen, you're most certainly not the only one on TeenHelp with Aspergers. You may find it useful to look through these two threads [Do you have a mental illness?] and [What is your disability?] as they both have posts from people who have aspergers syndrome. Of course, if you have any problems or questions we will try and help you and support you, even if we don't have aspergers ourselves. You are not alone.

Take care.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 16th 2009, 04:06 PM

My best friend has it and I don't think you should see it as a negative. Yes, it is a disability but then again it does make you who you are right?

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Hope...A pretty Fairytale
Average Joe

Name: Caitlyn

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 17th 2009, 04:11 PM

Hey,
My older sister has aspergers! Well, she's borderline but still. She rants obessivley about everything! Don't see it as a negative! Don't worry, be happy!

Someone save me from myself...

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 17th 2009, 04:31 PM

My boyfriends younger sister has mild aspergers and my cousin has quite severe autism so I know quite a lot about autism from different end of the spectrum.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 19th 2009, 08:03 PM

I don't have Aspergers but I know a few people who do, so I know a bit about it. The people I know who have it are all really cool, interesting people. They're great to talk to and never boring.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 19th 2009, 08:54 PM

I have two really close friends with asperger's syndrome. One is very successful in his work and the other is one of the best friends I could ask for. =3

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 19th 2009, 10:47 PM

Hey there,
Welcome to TeenHelp!
I'm sure there are others here on TH with Aspergers but I just don't know for sure.
I know a lot about aspergers because I have worked with children with it before.
I also had a friend with it and so I'm used to being around it.
That's cool you like math! Me too!
I'm not a huge fan of politics though.
Let me know if you need anything.
~Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 23rd 2009, 10:34 PM

I was recently diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, its more common than you would think .

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Meow Offline
Hits from the Bong
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 24th 2009, 12:36 PM

One guy in my class has Aspergers too. But I think it's a quite severe form of it (I don't know for sure though. I'm new in this class), because he needs a guardian in school all the time, because he's hit people before and all. He's almost deaf and to me he seems like a 6-year old, because he's hyperactive in a strange way, sometimes almost molesting to some. On the other hand he's very intelligent.

I once asked a classmate of mine if noone was sorry for him, because sometimes I wonder how he bears everything (people yelling at him for getting too close and all) and her answer was: "I don't even know if he CAN feel"...

Maybe you'd like to tell me a bit about yourself and your perception of the world?
If so, I'd be happy if you PM'ed me
Greetings.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
girl_pants Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lucy

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 24th 2009, 04:58 PM

My older Brother has a very servere form of Aspergers. He has a set routine and if it's not followed then he gets violent and everything. Some of the things you said about yourself is also in my brother. For example you not being able to read emotions easily. He can't either and sometimes doesn't understand that I need time alone.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
BUDDY=ME=JAZZBANDGEEK
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Achava Elah

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 24th 2009, 07:31 PM

hey there,
You arent the only one, they think that I might have it too which is why I am being tested. You certainly aren't the only one! Also, one of my best friends has aspbergurers also, so you definetely are not alone!
take care,
From,
Achava

"Others say there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just say Crud, there isn't... I'm stuck in this stupid revolving door..." -Me
PM me anytime you want to talk about anything.And I mean ANYTHING AT ALL!
Formerly achava_elah_18

Been in love since May 2008

Fellow SI,Autism-Spectrum,Depression,Anxiety,Musical,Trichotilloman ia Person. Basically, I'm ME!

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 25th 2009, 11:37 AM

Hey there,

I am one of the people that doesn't have Aspergers disorder, however it is quite common so there will definitley be a few people on the website that have been diagnosed and / or suffer from it. I have always been interested in the disorder though because one of my friends suffer from it.

If you need any help on dealing with Aspergers or have any questions, don't hesitate to create a new thread here :]

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#19 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 25th 2009, 01:56 PM

I know one person who for sure has Aspergers in real life. I'm not sure of any other people on here with it though.
The person I know has a worse case than hers from how you're describing it. Hers is more that she doesn't know right from wrong. Like she doesn't know that going through a medicine cabinet while at someone's house is wrong. I think she also has trouble with what you're talking about, not knowing if they're laughing at you or with you, etc. She doesn't know when a "game" is over, like we had taken something of a friend's and she kept running around with it and no one knew where she was and she wouldn't answer her phone, she didn't know this wasn't funny to anyone anymore. She seems to be opposite from in school, because from what I understand she isn't very good at maths, though I'm not sure though what she's good at and what she's not.
Summarizing this, yes, I do know someone with it, though not on here.
If you ever want to talk about anything, you can PM me. I'm always available to talk. =]
<3 Em
I forgot to add that my cousin also has pretty severe autism. It was to the point that he was doing badly in school but he switched schools and now he's in an expensive college for engineering and is getting awards for having some of the best grades. So I know about autism from another perspective as well.

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.

Last edited by KoKoEm; September 25th 2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Adding On Something
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 26th 2009, 10:05 AM

i have as perges, i was diagnosed at the age of 5 with it, along with ADHD, dyspraxia and later on i was diagnosed with dycalculia (math dyslexia). i have trouble with reading people emotions, and i can also never tell if the subject im talking about is boring someone, i also struggle in certain social situations, and sometimes i say the wrong things, i also do get angry if things change if things change like my tv programe is cancelled or something like that then i get angry. and i am also obsesive about some things, like with my tv programe, i have to watch it in the dark, and im also completly obsesd with the internet, and the paranormal im obsesed with, and im also obsesed with horses. i also have trouble telling wether people are upset, or are annoyed with me, or if they jsut want me to be quiet.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Michael

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 26th 2009, 05:57 PM

I've known a couple of people with aspergers. Anybody I've known that is on the Austism spectrum has had some trouble with reading social cues, but I also know that they've had some pretty amazing abilities as well. Some people even argue that Einstein had it.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 26th 2009, 09:59 PM

I know what it is, well almost. It's related to Autism isn't it?
I've heard about it before now, never really researched it or anything though.
I have a friend who has ADHD, is it similar?

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Angelan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Am i the only one here with Aspergers, have you at least heard about it. - September 27th 2009, 08:51 AM

It's often times misdiagnosed as ADHD at an early age because of behavioral problems.. But it's really quite the opposite. Most ADHD people tend to like being in the limelight, and have problems shutting up (No offence to anyone, personaly I like most people with ADHD for this reason, funner to hang out with) where-as most people with autism spectrum disorder have problems in social situations, and tend to be the "loners".
This isn't always the case of course, but this is what I see more often than not... If you google it, there's a lot of info out there about both of them, just make sure it's legitimit

Closed Thread