TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jaymayne1168 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

attachment disorder HELP - September 23rd 2009, 03:09 AM

Hi everyone, this is my first post and im not even sure im in the right place for it but im pretty desperate at this point. I was in class today taking a test and as we were going over it something seemed quite wronng. Not with the class but with what my teacher was saying. Ive had emotional issues my whole life, being the lack thereof. I am not close to anyone, that is i dont love anyone. Dont get me wrong i have friends, but its just that i feel no emotional connection with any of them including my family members, yes mom and dad as well. It was in my Human Growth and Development class. Long story short, i was wondering if anyone knew anything about attachment disorder. If anyone does PLEASE reply with advice/support because i could really use some right now. Didnt even realize there was a name for this. Its apparently common in adopted children and i am not even adopted which makes it all the more interesting i guess.. i am completely lost, dont know what to do, DONT want to talk to my parents abt it at the moment, ugghh that being part of the problem. I'm not even sure that i would want to get to know my mom anyways...i know i havent said much explaining my situation but im just wondering if anyone out there knows anything about attachemnt disorder...im almost 21 years old and it effing sucks that its taken this long to figure out what exactly was different with me. again, ANYTHING would be nice, just knowing someone out there read this i guess.

Last edited by Gaia; September 23rd 2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Moved to mental health [:

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Person
Junior TeenHelper

Re: attachment disorder HELP - September 23rd 2009, 06:26 AM

Hey ther, welcome to TH
I'm sorry to hear about what you're struggling with I don't know anything about an attachment disorder, but I'm here for moral support or if you need someone to talk to.
Hope you find what you're looking for
<333

Lawl.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
nobody123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: attachment disorder HELP - September 26th 2009, 11:28 PM

Hi.. this is my first post as well and I don't really know how this works. all I can say is i feel exactly the same way you do.. you are not alone.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I'm Not Who You Think I Am
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: attachment disorder HELP - October 3rd 2009, 12:36 AM

Hey,
Am sorry, Im in the same boat as you, I dont know much about it,
I mean I know that it means our social interactions tend to be
different to the norm.. and that we struggle to make meaningful
attachments and that we struggle if the attachments we do manage
to make, are broken.. I know there are a few different types of this
disorder and that the problems with each one varies slightly and that
it appears in childhood and continues throughout life..
Other then to tell me I have a Reactive Attachment Disorder my psych
didnt have much to say.. he was to busy going throught the rest of my
diagnosis's .. Sorry I cant be more help.
Other then to

[x] Even though I'm the sacrifice,
You wont try for me, not now,
Though I'd die to know you love me,

I'm all alone,

Isn't something missing?
Isnt someone missing me [x]

Baby, i want you to be my superman.
  Send a message via MSN to xxCookiiexMonsterxx  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: attachment disorder HELP - October 3rd 2009, 10:40 AM

Nobody on TeenHelp is a doctor, and as such we cannot diagnose you with anything.

The reason that an attachment disorder can be common in adopted children / children in care etc. is that when they are being cared for by someone that they possibly don't love in a parent-child sort of way, it is hard to feel attached. Is it possible that the same thing is happening between you and your parents? Has something happened in the past to encourage these feelings?

Another possibility is that you might be feeling numb, or withdrawn from society which can be common symptoms of things like depression (note: I am not diagnosing you with depression). I definitely think it would be worth paying a visit to your doctor. He/she can get you help for how you are feeling, through therapy.

You are not alone with what you are feeling, it is relatively common. It's also possible to get help and recover. Good luck

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#6 (permalink)) Old
thesmallcheese Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: attachment disorder HELP - October 8th 2009, 03:00 AM

I don't know much about attatchment disorder, or much about you, but from what you've told us it does seem like you may have some of the signs of it. I do, on the other hand have personal experience with depression. It was hard for me to feel love or any strong emotions. I would recommend seeing a psychiatrist, so that you may better understand your mental health.

Oh, I do know that babies and children who did not recieve much affection from their parents may suffer from attatchment disorder later in life. Children who were raised with plenty of affection may still suffer from this mental disorder as well, though I think it's not as common for them. So, certainly don't put any blame on your parents until you see a psychiatrist.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ilovelife Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: attachment disorder HELP - October 17th 2009, 08:07 AM

I myself have learned about the idea of attachment - all I would say is the theories tend to lean towards individuals having a difficult relationship with their primary caregiver having a consquence in later relationships. However, I have myself come across other theories suggeating that this is not the case. Some people are much stronger through their own personal struggle and can obtain qualities like resislence. Not saying this is always the cause - just highlighting the fact that with every arguement their is alwasy two sides to the debate. Also remember you can seek therapy to help with your own personal difficulties it may not even be a disorder. But if you are worried you have developed attachment disorder I would recommend seeing the doctor and getting a professional diagnosis.

Closed Thread