TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gharis Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Possible panic attack - September 28th 2009, 12:56 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So it was all going so well, I was fine and I felt me and my GF had really moved on... We haven't argued in ages All's good.

But just now I was watching a program and saw a woman with cancer, in a bed, it was only acting, but the whole set out, I just saw my grandad who I lost a few years ago, I guess I've seen people before in real life and programs, but this freaked me out more than ever before, I thought I was having a heart attack, I was sweating, felt very very out of control, just tried to control ym breathing and move through it... This went on for a few minutes... I think it was this that set it off; BUT

My girlfriends going off to uni and im petrified we'e going to fall apart, I've been worrying for ages, but then the past few days I've just felt numb... So was it a culmination of those feelings? Or seeing the cancer woman?

Whether it was or wasn't a panic attack it was, VERY weird, but I won't go to speak to anyone about it, a least unless there is a repeat performance, if I did, I wouldn't be able to o into the career I'm chasing...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Possible panic attack - September 28th 2009, 03:15 PM

Hey there,

Well I'd just like to say that I'm very proud of you for asking for advice on this. Panic attacks can be a very scary issue, and you obviously want them to stop.

Panic attacks are basically very sudden periods of intense anxiety caused by something stressful. I think it could be the issues with your girlfriend were causing you a great deal of stress and then the images of the hospital brought back some memories that just 'pushed you over the edge' or so to speak. There are lots of causes, and panic attacks are relatively normal.

If this happens again you should find a paper bag (or if you can't, you should cup your hands round your mouth) and just breathe slowly. This is to prevent loads of oxygen going into your brain and making it dizzy, if you breathe in carbon dioxide you will find it goes off easier. The other thing you should do is remove yourself from the situation. Turn the TV off, call a friend and realise that everything will turn out okay in the end.

As for the issues with your girlfriend... University can be a very stressful time for some people and it might mean loved ones moving away for a short time. Make sure you keep in regular contact with her and see her as often as possible. If things don't work out, then the relationship might not mean to work. There are lots of other people out there, remember!

Finally, with what you said about careers, in most countries it is illegal to discriminate against somebody becasue of a disability or mental health issue. So no matter what you do, you should be able to apply for your job! I definitely think it would be worth contacting your GP if something similar happens again in the future though

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Possible panic attack - September 29th 2009, 09:43 PM

If it happens again, I would definatly talk to someone... It's not good really to be having panick attacks and such.
And I'm curious what career you want to go into? Because there are very few where getting psychiatric help prevents you from being whatever you want to be. Most of the time it's kept completely secret and your future employeers won't even know you talked to a therapist once. This won't even affect becoming a therapist yourself.
There are very few things I'm aware of that this will prevent you from being whatever you want to be, like... astronaut is the only one I know of.

It could be a mixture of your girlfriend and the woman with cancer. It seems like the woman with cancer on TV set it off, but the actual thing itself could be caused by anything stressful in your life, mixed together to form a panic attack.

What you might want to do now is research a little or try and find out early signs of getting a panic attack like this, so that in the future perhaps you can prevent it, or make it less severe. I would also research how to calm yourself down during one, just in case it happens again.
Like Adam said, turn the TV off, and call a friend.

Panic attacks suck, I know that much.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
gharis Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Possible panic attack - September 30th 2009, 10:58 PM

Thanks you two for replying

I chose to watch the whole thing again determined to to let it affect me, and it had much less of an affect on me this time I also took your advice on it Adam, thank you

I'm looking to go into a a career involving crime, specifically working on a investigation team into serious crimes, and you need to be psychologically fit obviously because of the nature of the things you have to see and deal with, but its what I really want to do...

I seem to have sorted things with the girlfriend, and today I'm feeling on top of the world, which is kind of a worry as I have these severe mood swings between days it used to be mild when I was at school, good days and bad days, bad days I was quiet, good days I was a bit bouncy...

Now I'm home alone a lot currently looking for a job these have got more and more severe, when I'm down I'm really down, when I'm in the clouds I'm hitting the edge of the universe if you know what I mean, theres rarely a time inbetween, if there is its when I'm engrossed in a film or something, or keeping myself busy, but even then I'm often distracted. I have wondered before if I'm bi-polar, I did look it up and have a lot oft he symptoms, but I don't know no family history of it, so I'll put it down to hormones for now, right?

Thank you again

Closed Thread