TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gone_wrong Offline
Not a n00b

Name: ellie

BPD, ASPERGERS - September 28th 2009, 08:58 PM

i have been diagnosed with both by different people before wen i was in therpy but as i am aware u cant have both but i so confsed i hav near enoug all the sytoms of both why is life so confusing the 2 dissorders hav very simulare traits as i hav been told, any one out there with bpd that think ther asperges of vice verser any idears xXx

i only ask as i think i might be going back into thery soon ish wen i ready to leave this place anyway

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: BPD, ASPERGERS - September 28th 2009, 11:10 PM

There's some issue as to whether or not you can have both. From my understanding and my view of it, you can indeed have both because although the two do have some similarities, they have plenty of differences, such as the age of onset. Generally Asperger's is detected earlier than BPD for the simple reason that BPD is on Axis II of the DSM multi-axial structure and since it is concerning personality, it requires the patient to have matured more.

You also mentioned that there were different diagnoses, however, within the DSM system, there are 5 axis. Asperger's and Austism would both be part of Axis I whereas BPD would be part of Axis II. So it is possible to have both and having both is not a conflict of diagnoses.

You also mentioned having symptoms of each disorder. Sadly I see and hear this too often on here. In order to have a diagnosis, you do NOT need to simply have some of the disorders. In fact, it doesn't really matter on the symptoms. What matters is whether or not you meet the diagnostic criteria, which although it does contain symptoms, it also contains other details that the average, run-of-the-mill, online list or fact-sheet in paper won't usually have.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
gone_wrong Offline
Not a n00b

Re: BPD, ASPERGERS - September 29th 2009, 08:41 PM

i do no that i hav fought so hard to figure this out i have been diagnoed by a clinical pycolist DR Yi wen i was 16 it not sumthing my sick brain is making up i rather not have anything crewing with my head no voices and the skills to talk about what going on it killing me from the inside out i sorry i dont expect anyone to really understand

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I'm Not Who You Think I Am
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: BPD, ASPERGERS - October 3rd 2009, 12:24 AM

Well, I know they wont diagnose you with BPD, until your 18, at the very earliest, and they are cautious even at that age, because your 'personaity' is not developed enough and the symptoms can be caused by other problems, which they have to cross of the lists before allowing the diagnosis.. But like I think has been said the 2 diagnosis's are in different sections of the DSM so I'd think that they probably can appear together.. Hope it all works out and makes sense soon..

[x] Even though I'm the sacrifice,
You wont try for me, not now,
Though I'd die to know you love me,

I'm all alone,

Isn't something missing?
Isnt someone missing me [x]

Baby, i want you to be my superman.
  Send a message via MSN to xxCookiiexMonsterxx  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
gone_wrong Offline
Not a n00b

Re: BPD, ASPERGERS - October 3rd 2009, 06:45 PM

well i was under there care and they diagnosed it i was in hospital wen i actually got it letters writeen to my doc and everything and if u actually read up it lik egoogle it it does say u can get diagnosed before the ages of 18 but it has to been assest but different phyc and stuff and i was there for 2 years so stop trying to prov me wrong i would getting the help im getting ie group therey with other BPD i dont no y i fucking bothere anymore i had enough nobody belives me so i odviously so screwed up waste of time im not forcing u lot to reply dont bother if u dont belive me !

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I'm Not Who You Think I Am
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: BPD, ASPERGERS - October 3rd 2009, 07:10 PM

Im not saying I dont believe you.. Im just saying what Id been told. And Im in a group for BPD and all of the other think Im too young to have been diagnosed, even at 18.. Most of them have said they werent diagnosed until they were like 25, although one of them wasnt diagnosed until she was 45.. bless her.. Either way, like I said they have all said, plus the loads of psych's Ive had or seen, that they wouldnt diagnose me until I was 18.. even though I was told years before that this was wrong with me. But Im sure different psychs are different.

[x] Even though I'm the sacrifice,
You wont try for me, not now,
Though I'd die to know you love me,

I'm all alone,

Isn't something missing?
Isnt someone missing me [x]

Baby, i want you to be my superman.
  Send a message via MSN to xxCookiiexMonsterxx  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: BPD, ASPERGERS - October 4th 2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie_b View Post
well i was under there care and they diagnosed it i was in hospital wen i actually got it letters writeen to my doc and everything and if u actually read up it lik egoogle it it does say u can get diagnosed before the ages of 18 but it has to been assest but different phyc and stuff and i was there for 2 years so stop trying to prov me wrong i would getting the help im getting ie group therey with other BPD i dont no y i fucking bothere anymore i had enough nobody belives me so i odviously so screwed up waste of time im not forcing u lot to reply dont bother if u dont belive me !
To explain this, I think it's necessary to actually understand the DSM. The DSM (the manual they use to diagnose you) is atheoretical, meaning what is in there is independent of what other psychological theories state. The DSM may indeed allow someone to be diagnosed at a certain age, however, the clinician has a choice. Either they will follow the DSM to the letter or they will follow the DSM partially and use some knowledge from other psychological theories in order to make their diagnosis. So, although the DSM may allow for something, it does not mean that the clinician will actually obey the DSM if it conflicts with other psychological theories.

The reason why certain clinicians wait until you're a certain age is because most theories in personality psychology revolve around the person's personality being stable at around 16-18 years old. It also has to do with certain neurodevelopmental theories in that your brain is more developed at a certain age (i.e. 18) in comparison to a different age (i.e 16). Hence, some clinicians will diagnose you if you're of a certain age despite what the DSM says.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
gone_wrong Offline
Not a n00b

Re: BPD, ASPERGERS - October 5th 2009, 07:34 PM

it ok stephie i just get alittle stressed about stuff my parent think i should be looked away and that i play up for the physc and stuff for attention i didnt mean to takeit out u i promise i shouldnt hav u dont need me sorry

Closed Thread