TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jovial. Offline
Skittles Minion.

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Trish

Panic attacks or anxiety attacks? - October 8th 2009, 06:34 PM

Hi Everyone,

In a feww months I will have to do a research paper on a mental health topic and I was thinking about doing mine on panaic attacks or anxiety attacks, can anyone help me out and explain exzactly what happens during one or any other info about them?
That would be a lot of help Thanks

I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are
LHO|PM|VM
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jovial.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.:nat:. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Panic attacks or anxiety attacks? - October 9th 2009, 03:56 AM

Heyy,

Well I have Panic Attacks and what happens in sequence is;
I begin breathing very rapidly and uncontrollably and it feels as though my airways are blocked,
My hands and feet tingle
then the rest of mybody starts tingling
then all the tinglig becomes pins n needles
my hads a feet become numb and seize up and i cannot move them
my vision sometimes goes all black
that can last anywhere from 5minutes - 60mins+

Thats just me though.

Google is wonderful too, so give tat a try!xD

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Wannabe Realist
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Panic attacks or anxiety attacks? - October 9th 2009, 04:02 AM

That's a great topic!

I don't suffer from them, but my best friend does in extremes and has actually had a few in the middle of classes.

They come on after she begins to stress thinking about a serious topic. The issues with her ex-boyfriend, school tests, etc.

She starts to breathe really heavily and quickly, hyperventilating and trying to over-compensate for each breath. Then she beings to feel extremely weak until she passes out cold. When suffering in one, she can't walk or function properly really. the only way to try to calm her down is to tell her to try to breathe slowly. She has always told me it's an issue of mentality, and if she can calm down mentally during one of them she can get through it.

Hope this helped. Good luck on your project

how nice- to feel nothing but still get credit for being alive
kurt vonnegut

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sugar Offline
Sugar
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katrina

Re: Panic attacks or anxiety attacks? - October 16th 2009, 06:30 PM

Hey, i suffer from intense anxiety constantly, and panic attacks also. I'm actually on medication at the moment, the doctors have said i have health anxiety. Basically, i always think i'm sick although i'm apparently 'not' as docs have said. But during this intense anxiety i mainly feel very dizzy all the time, feel as if im detached and my feet are floating, tight chest, numbness, and tiredness really. Wen i have panicattacks i begin to notice my breathing, then my throat becomes very\tight, i get very dizzy and start experiencing pins and needles and numbness in my body, then i start feeling as if i'm going to pass out and get very light headed and tired. dont know if this applies to everybody though.

Good Luck, i hope this helps.

Sugar xxx

Nobody knows...
Nobody knows but me that i sometimes cry.

i <3 Pink!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ilovelife Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Panic attacks or anxiety attacks? - October 17th 2009, 07:56 AM

I suffer with panic attacks - the result from a fearful situation or me thinking of irrational thoughts which provokes danger in my enviroment. Sadly my responds to the typical physicological respones. I know form my pervious experience of dealing with my anxiety the best therapy is CBT.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Panic attacks or anxiety attacks? - October 18th 2009, 04:41 PM

Hey there,

Like most other people here, I also suffer from anxiety attacks. I think it's great that you're doing a research paper into this, as it can sometimes be overlooked by students and other people.

I think the most important part of an anxiety attack is the trigger. If everything was fine and dandy in life, anxiety attacks wouldn't exist. I get 'triggered' by being in social situations, on the phone sometimes or if I feel that people are watching me / I could be embarrassed in any way. They do also happen randomly (I guess that means I haven't identified the trigger)

I start to struggle for breath, and need to breathe more. Then it starts to get worse and I need to breathe harder and harder to get the same amount of oxygen. I'll start to sweat slightly and my skin goes clammy. I guess all the symptoms of shock?

I hope this helps a little bit, and good luck with your paper!

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Re: Panic attacks or anxiety attacks? - October 18th 2009, 05:11 PM

Hello. Just like everyone else who has posted, I have pretty much the same symptoms with my anxiety and panic attacks. Most of my attacks are triggered by social events; having to speak in front of the class in school, choir performances, color guard (in the marching band) performances, parties, and even when I am getting ready to do something I enjoy (like snowboarding). I will get really sweaty, feel cold and clammy, breathe fast, and make myself sick. I usually will get very dizzy and light-headed to the point where I pass out. Sometimes I will even throw up. Obviously, it's not a pleasant experience.

I'm always 'on the edge' thinking about what bad things could happen. When I'm in the car I am always freaking out, thinking we are going to get in a car crash. Things that most people wouldn't even think twice about, I over-analyze and worry about the worst things that could possibly happen.

I usually try to calm down by using skills that I have been taught by my therapist. Some of these skills are observing every color in the room, using my five senses(see, hear, taste, touch, smell), meditating or doing yoga, or anything else to distract myself.

I wish you the best of luck for your research. If you would like to know anything else, feel free to PM me. I hope this helped!

we've escaped our capture

Laugh loudly, sing like no one's listening, dance like no one's watching, stay in the moment, get that adrenaline pumpin', deep breaths, be easy on yourself <3 PM me

Closed Thread