TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

People think I'm bipolar and they might be right - October 19th 2009, 02:20 AM

A little while ago, I learned that my father and brother had been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder earlier in their lives. They were both abusive to me and it lead me to the point where I now see a therapist for a number of reasons including the fact that I have depressive episodes. I didn't think that I had it, but when I was talking to my girlfriend about what a crazy idea it was, she got kind of silent. She says that she honestly thought I had already been diagnosed with it. My friends said that it isn't that crazy of an idea. I don't want to take medication. I don't even know if there is a test or what. I'm just kind of wondering, what do I do?

Your head will collapse, but there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself, "Where is my mind?"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ThoughtManifest Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: People think I'm bipolar and they might be right - October 19th 2009, 03:21 AM

Patron,

Since you're currently seeing a therapist, talk to them about it. It may be the case that since you've lived your life around people with bipolar, you have begun to take on their kind of behavior. This doesn't necessarily mean that you yourself have bipolar, just means that you act the way you have been taught to act. We all take bits of other's personalities and incorporate them into our own, you happen to have two people in your life with bipolar and might have taken bits of their personalities as well.

Even if you are diagnosed with bipolar, it may be that you don't have to take medication for it. Bipolar has such a wide range of symptoms that it's quite possible to have a mild case that can be monitored (not necessarily controlled) to make it less noticeable and more manageable. But before you jump to the conclusion that you do have bipolar, talk with your therapist. It may just be that you are moody because you are surrounded by others that are moody (I understand that this is a gross understatement to the moodiness experienced by those with bipolar). In either case, good luck and I hope you find an answer!

--ThinkingCap

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: People think I'm bipolar and they might be right - October 20th 2009, 02:49 AM

Bipolar disorder can be genetic, the best thing to do is to talk to your therapist about your concerns and explain why you think you might or might not have it. I know you don't want to take medication, but if you do have it it's a chemical imbalance that only medication can fix.

Closed Thread