TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shopaholic Offline
Average Joe

Name: Megan

Male or Female Therapist? - October 25th 2009, 12:17 AM

So my therapist informed me that she is leaving the practice that I go to. She will not be taking any of her current patients. I'm kind of happy I will be able to see someone new she can't ever remember what I told her in past times. But she wants me to see a female. I personally think I would be okay with a male. As long as thier good then I don't care. What to you think?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Male or Female Therapist? - October 25th 2009, 12:22 AM

Well, there was a male and a female guidance counselor/therapist at our school, and it was always the male that got things done. The female was there to sympathize with you and make you feel better.

Not all therapists are like this, but if you want an immediate change in your life without having to explain everything, go to a male therapist. If you want someone to sympathize with you and try to work on your emotions, get a female one.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Male or Female Therapist? - October 25th 2009, 12:33 AM

I think it depends on your preference. Some people feel more comfortable talking to someone of their own gender. It depends on the person but for the therapists I have been to, the men just outright say what they need to say while the women find their way around to say it. Women are usually more comforting while men just tell you what you need to do. Again, this isn't the same for all therapists, just kind of saying in general. Let me know who you pick.

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Male or Female Therapist? - October 25th 2009, 01:12 AM

i prefer males tbh. simply because all the female therapists/psychologists i've spoken to have been very patronising and not at all helpful.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Male or Female Therapist? - October 25th 2009, 01:32 AM

Well, the counselor I see here at my uni is a female. She was great, and always helped. But whether you decide to see a male or female therapist just depends on which you'd be more comfortable with, and if that's either then you shouldn't have too much trouble. Good luck!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Male or Female Therapist? - October 25th 2009, 04:26 AM

It's all about what makes you more comfortable. Honestly, I don't like male therapists, the ones I've met tend to put everything in a box.

Your head will collapse, but there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself, "Where is my mind?"

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Male or Female Therapist? - October 25th 2009, 05:56 AM

I think part of it may have to do with the perception that females may be more patient, comforting and understanding than males, although I find that to be untrue for all people. It'd matter more on the actual psychotherapeutic methods that the therapist adheres to along with their overall ability, which I believe is independent of their sex.

It may also be part of whether or not you find yourself to be more open towards females or if you had a traumatic experience done by a male.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Male or Female Therapist? - October 25th 2009, 07:20 AM

It's an idea that is generally agreed to in the counseling/psychology circle that therapy usually works best with a therapist of the same gender. A number of studies I've seen have shown the idea to be relatively empirically accurate.

One thing, from what I have learned, is that there is less potential for a conflict of interest with a counselor of the same gender. Assuming that neither the therapist or the client is homosexual (a big assumption, but statistically it's the norm), there is a much smaller chance of either becoming sexually attracted to the other. For the counselor, it is often "safer" as a same-sex client is much less likely to wrongfully/deceitfully accuse them of sexual assault/abuse (false accusations occur more often than most people would think). Her practice that she is leaving may also keep client pairings gender-based as an internal rule based on any number of these reasons.

Also, it could be that with some of the issues she is working with you on, she thinks that a same gender counselor is better suited to help you. This could be due to past abuse, relationship issues, etc. (not knowing your background, I couldn't say). In any event, I personally would follow her recommendation, but it's up to you.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Male or Female Therapist? - October 25th 2009, 07:21 AM

I personally just have a much easier time talking to females in general...So I preferred female over male.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Re: Male or Female Therapist? - October 25th 2009, 11:19 AM

I perfer to talk to females. I just feel a lot more comfortable around them. But it just all depends on how you feel. You said you think you'll be ok with talking to a male so you could go ahead and try it. If you dont like him you could always switch.

Best of Luck.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: Male or Female Therapist? - October 25th 2009, 01:56 PM

I think it should be your choice, and it really does come down to personal preference. Every counsellor will have had some form of training and so there shouldn't be any difference in terms of that. I often find it easier to talk to males and much prefer seeing a male doctor. Try and think about what you want and which you would find more helpful because that's the most important thing.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Male or Female Therapist? - October 25th 2009, 03:27 PM

I prefer the male therapist I have, my previous two were both female and they wouldn't really try to help me, just let me talk to them. The guy I am going to now has really tried to push me and set goals for me and whatnot. But each to their own...

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Male or Female Therapist? - October 25th 2009, 05:31 PM

Hi Meg,

As others have already said, whichever gender of therapist you see is up to you and it's really down to personal preference. If you think that you would be okay seeing a male therapist then you should tell your therapist that and perhaps you could try out seeing a male therapist if that's easier and you'd feel comfortable with that. If you're okay with it then that's all that matters really, as Ellie has already said, either way they will have been trained and should have experience. Of course, if you do see someone and then later decide you'd rather have a female therapist then you could always change again. Personally, I've only seen female therapists and they have been very different to each other anyway, despite being of the same sex.

Take care.

Closed Thread