TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Questions about Lexapro - October 29th 2009, 07:04 PM

My doctor has just put me on Lexapro (I begin later today.) It's a sort of mild drug for depression and anxiety, and I just have a few questions for those of you that have been on it before...

1. Did you find that it was effective?¿ If so, how long did it take before you began to feel the effects?¿

2. Did you experience any side effects?¿

3. Did you notice any reactions from the medication after you

a) drank alcohol
b) smoked tobacco
c) smoked weed?¿

If anyone can give me answers they'd be muchly appreciated (:
xox

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Questions about Lexapro - October 29th 2009, 07:36 PM

My boyfriend was recently put on Lexapro about... 2 or 3 weeks ago. So far everything seems fine, no sideaffects ot anything. It seems to help most of the time, but when things got out of hand between us, it really didn't do anything at all. But that was an extreme situation, no reason to think a MILD drug would help stop really BAD circumstances.
However my boyfriend doesn't smoke or drink anything very often, I don't think he has at all since he started it. So no help there.

Personally, I like Lexapro... (never seen the affects of anything else but whatever!) I think it lessens the depression but doesn't completely change his personality or anything. He's still the sarcastic hates-most-people guy I know

There is something I feel I should bring up, though keep in mind this is a pre-existing condition for him, so it's not gonna happen to you.. He has been known to be a tad schizophrenic. Seeing and hearing things. Since he got on Lexapro, the voices went from angry to... completely different. "soothing" he put it. "asking" him to join them instead of demanding it. I don't know for sure but I'm assuming Lexapro made the change. Now he's getting help for that too. But again, I really don't think you're gonna start hearing voices. That was a pre-existing thing going on.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Questions about Lexapro - October 29th 2009, 08:33 PM

I haven't taken Lexapro before, however, from my courses dealing with psychopharmacology, I would say that some SSRIs can have horrible effects with marijuana. That being said, I don't think you will get that with Lexapro providing the amount of marijuana and your sensitivity to it isn't that great.

As for alcohol, well, it's always a "no" to take alcohol with most medications.

As for tobacco, I'm not sure. I cant think of anything and I briefly Googled it but didn't find anything immediately (although it wasn't a thorough search on my part).

The side-effects of Lexapro alone vary from possible nausea to some sedation to causing sexual dysfunctions and it may also cause some flattening. I'm not sure how long it will take for you to feel the effects for Lexapro.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
nobody123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Questions about Lexapro - October 29th 2009, 08:48 PM

1. Did you find that it was effective?¿ If so, how long did it take before you began to feel the effects?
it was far more effective in treating my anxiety than my depression. my anxiety began to lessen after a week or two. my depression never lifted more than a little so I switched meds after about a year... but since I took it I've been on 4 other drugs and none of those have helped either. so I don't think that was the Lexapro's fault.

the side effects were extremely minimal, especially compared to some of the other drugs I've been on. I think I used to get mild headaches after I increased dosages, but those were tolerable and went away after a few days. overall I had very few problems with it.

a) drank alcohol
b) smoked tobacco
c) smoked weed?¿

sorry, can't help you on this one. I've never done any of that. PM me if you want to know more though.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Questions about Lexapro - October 30th 2009, 01:51 PM

Thanks so much for the replies guys, they were really helpful (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
The side-effects of Lexapro alone vary from possible nausea to some sedation to causing sexual dysfunctions and it may also cause some flattening.

...flattening?¿ flattening of what...?¿

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Questions about Lexapro - October 30th 2009, 06:23 PM

As any anti-depressant your mood can go flat. I don't know if that's what Nightmare meant but I have been on anti-depressants that the best way to describe my mood was "flat". I did not find this with Lexapro.

1. Did you find that it was effective?¿ If so, how long did it take before you began to feel the effects?¿

I find it's very effective, really the only anti-depressant I like. It took maybe 8 weeks before I was like "Hey, I feel better" but I had started feeling better before that, just it's not a SHA BAM YOU'RE BETTER! xD

I find I need to drink more water with it. I don't know if that's normal or whatever, but that's the only thing. I've heard some people get a decreased libido but I find no problems with this.

a) drank alcohol
b) smoked tobacco
c) smoked weed?¿

Personally, I didn't. But as I spoke to my psychiatrist about it, she's said they're not sure what weed does to any anti-depressant. Honestly, I smoke tobacco and weed, and drink, and I've never had anything that is different with or without Lexapro. I'd talk to your doctor and see what they say perhaps?

Good luck!

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Questions about Lexapro - October 31st 2009, 08:49 PM

1. Did you find that it was effective? If so, how long before you began to feel the effects?
- I don't remember how long it took me to feel the effects, I always had some sort of Depression/Anxiety going on but the Lexapro made it so much easier to deal with it.

2. Did you experience any of the side effects?
No, personally, I didn't but that's different for every person.

3. Did you notice any reactions after you

a) drank alcohol
b) smoked tobacco
c) smoked weed

Personally, I have not drank alcohol or smoked weed. However, when I smoked cigarettes for a while, I didn't have any effects from it that I remember.

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Questions about Lexapro - November 1st 2009, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the replies guys (:

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Daniella

Re: Questions about Lexapro - November 2nd 2009, 02:31 AM

I take Lexapro. So far, I've realized it does help with physical panic attacks. I no longer hyperventilate. The only side effects i had while taking it was some nausea. But if you try caffeine free tea and maybe take the Lexapro with some food, you should be fine. Those symptoms go away in a few days.
My mom advised me not to drink or anything like that. Alcohol and Anti-depressants work slightly the same with your chemicals in your brain. So, if you drink while taking Lexapro or any other Anti-Depressant, you shouldn't drink because this could heighten the effect of the alcohol.

I hope this helped [:
Feel Better
xxxx

(#10 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Questions about Lexapro - November 2nd 2009, 02:21 PM

Well I've been taking it since Thursday and so far I've experienced a little nausea, but I think it may already have affected my anxiety. (Not sure if that's my imagination or not, but it feels a little better already!!) I got drunk on Saturday but I don't think Lexapro made me drunker ~ I did get v. sleepy though, so I'll be careful about drinking on it from now on.

Closed Thread