TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kadster Offline
Adam/Eve not Adam/Steve!!!
Not a n00b

Sociopath - November 3rd 2009, 05:41 AM

Well I think I might suffer from this, I was browsing Wikipedia one night, as I often do and I came across the article on Sociopaths. I read it and perused the internet for a list of symptoms, I will highlight the ones I have in red.

1. Contemptuous of those who seek to understand them
  2. Does not perceive that anything is wrong with them
  3. Authoritarian
  4. Secretive
  5. Paranoid
  6. Only rarely in difficulty with the law, but seeks out situations where their tyrannical behavior will be tolerated, condoned, or admired
  7. Conventional appearance
  8. Goal of enslavement of their victim(s)
  9. Exercises despotic control over every aspect of the victim's life
  10. Has an emotional need to justify their crimes and therefore needs their victim's affirmation (respect, gratitude and love)
  11. Ultimate goal is the creation of a willing victim
  12. Incapable of real human attachment to another
  13. Unable to feel remorse or guilt
  14. Extreme narcissism and grandiose
  15. May state readily that their goal is to rule the world
Well I have never had trouble with the law, I believe in authority and wish to possess it, while I can see I may have this condition I don't see it as a problem. I can feel love but I don't really know if it is real love or just desire, I also can feel a bit of remorse or guilt but it is often not that strong, I am more worried about punishment then actual damages caused. Ideas, advice, support?

Please enjoy a collection of classic music from the homeland!

Die Deutsche Armee ist mein Held

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Sociopath - November 3rd 2009, 07:00 AM

I'll at least give you credit for acknowledging that you might be sociopathic. But if your only real concern is avoiding punishment for your actions, then my only real advice is to seek psychotherapy, in hope that it will keep you from hurting people.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Sociopath - November 3rd 2009, 10:34 AM

Mmm, I vaguely remember reading that if you can rationalize that you might be a sociopath, you probably aren't. But still, going to therapy in general never hurts.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ostentatious Offline
Now with cup holders!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Sociopath - November 3rd 2009, 03:24 PM

:\ Everyone has those kinds of symptoms. Don't worry, you're not a sociopath unless you were cruel to animals, had extended bedwetting issues, and lied (a lot) in your childhood.

Shakespeare hates your emo poetry.
  Send a message via AIM to Ostentatious Send a message via Skype™ to Ostentatious 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kadster Offline
Adam/Eve not Adam/Steve!!!
Not a n00b

Re: Sociopath - November 3rd 2009, 11:21 PM

Well I was never cruel to animals and didn't wet my bed, but I exhibit all the other symptoms, pathological lying, superficial charm, laughing at others pain, etc.

Please enjoy a collection of classic music from the homeland!

Die Deutsche Armee ist mein Held

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Sociopath - November 3rd 2009, 11:45 PM

I think most people exhibit most of those symptoms at one time or another.

I mean "symptoms" like this really make me laugh at times.

Conventional appearance
Secretive
Paranoid
Has an emotional need to justify their crimes and therefore needs their victim's affirmation

Who ISN'T these things at one point in life? Is it really abnormal for a person to justify something they've done? Does dressing nice make you sociopathic? I mean really....Remember, this is wikipedia and isn't to be taken seriously.

Even so, the term "sociopath" isn't exactly very universal. I think when people say that, it's mostly reflected under Antisocial Personality Disorder (and probably a few others, I'm sure there's more psych experts around here that can help). There's no such thing as a "Sociopathic Disorder," as far as I'm aware.

Even if you are sociopathic, so what? What does putting a label on yourself accomplish? Is your life going to change or what? You are who you are.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Sociopath - November 4th 2009, 12:05 AM

A lot of the time, people will search for symptoms they fit in with. Hell, sometimes the brain makes new symptoms you didn't preveiously have and makes you think you've always had them. In all honesty... you can't diagnose yourself. I would go talk to a doctor or therapist or something for confirmation. As people said, a lot of those symptoms are things a lot of people actually have =/

Plus, you seem pretty able to control yourself. I mean you're not in jail right now and as someone said, if you're able to recognize you are/might be then you probably arn't.

Again, I'd go talk to someone about it Even if you technically are (which I kinda doubt) then it's not the end of the world. A lot of us are messed up in our own unique ways :P

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Sociopath - November 4th 2009, 12:38 AM

i don't think we're always the best at establishing which symptoms we ourselves possess. finding a label on the internet and reading symptoms of it that seem to fit you can be misleading.. but if you think you may have a problem it's better to be assessed by a professional who knows what they're talking about.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Closed Thread