TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ProudGreen89 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Telephobia - November 9th 2009, 06:50 PM

I have a big phobia of talking on the phone. I cant dial a number or pick up the phone to answer it without getting extremely nervous, anxious and worried, i usually find excuses or put off using the phone. I lose track of thought, get cold sweats/clammy, drymouth, racing thoughts and i fidget way too much. Once im done on the phone (if i can make myself talk on it in the first place) i get a huge sensation of relief and i dont want to go near the phone for a very long time. Its gotten to the point where im avoiding listening to my voicemails. The best way i can think of to describe it is the feeling you get when you miss a step on the stairs or when you come close to hitting something when driving. I hate being like this because it interferes with my jobs, personal life and self respect.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Telephobia - November 9th 2009, 07:24 PM

I have the same thing. It really does suck. Specially if I really need to call my school or the doctors. I try and make my mom do it because I hate it so much. I literally thought I was the only one that had a fear of phones. I am also worried about the whole future thing and this fear affecting it. Maybe try and overcome the fear. I know that is hard, since I can't do it. But maybe slowly start talking to your friends on the phone and each day build it back up. Thanks for posting this, you are not alone with this....since I agree with you 100%

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Telephobia - November 9th 2009, 08:09 PM

I am the same way, and it sucks because any job I have interest in will definitely involve using a phone or radio and talking to a bunch of people. More than once I've had to get my mom to call into my work and tell them I'm sick because I'm just terrified of talking to people on the phone. Good to know there are other people out there who understand my frustration. Unfortunately I think this is one phobia that we probably have to try to overcome, since we can't just avoid the situation forever.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Firefighter 48 Offline
Firefighter/ EMT-B
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: Telephobia - November 10th 2009, 12:40 AM

I am also the same way.
  Send a message via MSN to Firefighter 48  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Telephobia - November 10th 2009, 04:27 AM

While I wouldn't put it quite to the level of a phobia, I really do dislike calling people that I am not familiar with on the phone. My girlfriend, family, and close friends I have no problem with, but anything outside of that makes me uncomfortable. In fact, when pizza places started doing online ordering I rejoiced!

Ironically, mine doesn't extend to answering the phone, just calling. With my jobs (working in grocery, retail, and human services) I've always had to answer phones.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Telephobia - November 10th 2009, 01:28 PM

I'm sort of like Bruce's case.
If I'm not comfortable talking to someone on the phone then I won't call them, but I'll sometimes procrastinate on answering my phone.
However, I have a thing when I really need to talk with someone about something personal/serious (like my Depression or something like that) then I freak out about having to call them. I will start calling them and often times I hang up the phone because I'm too freaked out.
Answering phones, I'm just a procrastinator at that. Many people will call me then I'll look to see who it is and often times won't answer it just because I don't feel like answering the phone. Or I won't want to talk with them.

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: Telephobia - November 10th 2009, 04:39 PM

Hey, this is just fear. The acts you do when you are near the phone show that it is fear. The only way to solve this is to conquer that fear of phones. Fear just generates within us but you need to know the source itself, ok ! But maybe something happened with phones in your life which maybe the source of the fear. So you just have to meditate and conquer. By the way, this fear you are exhibiting sounds extreme, so i tell you to pray, just pray about the phones and try not to be afraid.

Closed Thread