TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Lack of sleep - November 14th 2009, 10:52 PM

So I have been dealing with depression and anxiety for a while, and it's really affecting my sleep. Every night I wake up at about 3 am, and then cannot go back to sleep. On a good day, I am in bed by about 10 p.m. So this is only about 5 hours of sleep.. I have my alarm set to 6 a.m, but I am always awake before that. It's so frustrating being so exhausted, and then not sleeping. I'm so restless all the time. I don't feel energized after sleeping.

I talked to my counselor and she said that my body needs time to wind down from all the stress that I have had in the past. She said it will get better in time.. Well, it's been long enough I think! I haven't been sleeping well in months! I've tried so many things.. I switched my meds to taking them in the a.m instead of p.m (suggested because it might have been keeping me awake), several yoga and self-soothing techniques, no sugar or food before bed, taking warm showers, journal to keep mind off of things, made sure room is dark.. Nothing seems to work!

My psychiatrist suggested taking Melatonin? She says it's an over-the-counter pill to help me stay asleep. Has anyone been on this? Did it help you? Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you in advance.

we've escaped our capture

Laugh loudly, sing like no one's listening, dance like no one's watching, stay in the moment, get that adrenaline pumpin', deep breaths, be easy on yourself <3 PM me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Lack of sleep - November 15th 2009, 02:30 PM

Hey Kelsey,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems that you are going through. It is common to experience sleep problems with depression and anxiety conditions. Your psychiatrist is correct however, that it will probably clear up soon.

Until then, I recommend taking some over-the-counter sleeping medication. I have used these before during stressful times and it has been a great help to me. It will help your sleeping patterns, which in turn will help your mood the following day.

Are you going through any kind of therapy at the moment to sort out your stress and anxiety issues? I would seriously recommend it if you are taking the sleep medication.

Good luck!

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Re: Lack of sleep - November 15th 2009, 02:56 PM

Yeah, I do go to therapy weekly. My parents just aren't to keen on the idea about putting me on another medication (even if it's over-the-counter and said to be harmless). I've talked to them, but they just don't want me to- for now at least. I go to the psychiatrist in a few weeks, so I'll talk to her again and maybe try to have her convince my parents.

we've escaped our capture

Laugh loudly, sing like no one's listening, dance like no one's watching, stay in the moment, get that adrenaline pumpin', deep breaths, be easy on yourself <3 PM me

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Project Coordinator

I can't get enough

Name: Haley

Re: Lack of sleep - November 15th 2009, 04:16 PM

Hi Kelsey,

You could also try writing down all your worries before going to sleep. We don't often sleep well when we have lots of worries on our mind. Also, have you tried reading a book? It will help your mind to focus on one thing, and it personally makes me feel tired after an hour or so of reading at night. (Maybe a book that you find boring so that the suspense of a book won't keep you up!) I know it must be exhausting to feel tired and not be able to sleep.

Our bodies produce Melatonin naturally during the evening hours. I know that you've tried making your room dark, but perhaps you could try making it extra, extra dark and sleep with an eye mask?

I hope that you manage to get a good night's sleep soon.

Thinking of you.
Halcyon

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Lack of sleep - November 15th 2009, 04:30 PM

I'm glad you are getting therapy too. Just for the record though, please check with a doctor before you start taking any other medication to make sure that it won't have an adverse effect on you!

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

Closed Thread