TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Post-Depression Wellbeing Maintenance - December 16th 2009, 01:45 PM

I have been depressed all through middle and high school but never really got any adequate help. I was on prescriptive drugs for my senior year and though it did help, it was not as significant as if I had adequate counselling as well. I've been through a few psychologists throughout my school years, but they only lasted one or two sessions. I'm currently in university, a freshman majoring in Psychology and for the first few weeks I thought I was fine. I had completely forgotten about all the things that used to bother me and found new friends that I clicked with better more than my high school friends. One day something triggered and it got so overwhelming that I started having flashbacks of what used to happen to me. I talked to a senior student about it and she recommended that I should see a counsellor. Even though I was fine, and what I'm feeling may be temporary, there are still some unresolved issues that I still need to deal with and in the future, if I don't find a way to deal with it little hassles can might trigger another episode.
So I went to the counselling services building and got assigned to one of the lecturers in the clinical department. She is a psychologist as well, so I'm not seeing the wrong person. We've been working on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for almost a month now and it's working, but I don't know what I should do about it in the long run. She's starting to decrease the meeting frequencies and after I'm done, I don't know what I should do for "maintenance". Like should I keep seeing her every 3 months or 6 months or something? Any resources I could use to prevent a relapse?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Post-Depression Wellbeing Maintenance - December 17th 2009, 12:19 AM

Hey there,

That's great you have been starting to feel better! You have taken huge steps by helping yourself which is fantastic. You should be very proud of yourself. It's really up to you how often you would like to see her again. Do whatever you feel necessary. If you try three months and you really don't need her that often, try four months or more. Different amounts of time work for different people. Don't hesitate to ask her what she recomends for you. She would be more help since she knows you and what you need. If you needed someone to talk to weekly, find a therapist or someone you could see more often.

To prevent a relapse I think you should as your psychologist. Since she is a professional, she can come up with ways to keep from relapsing along with plans incase you start to relapse. Remember, it's better to ask for help then wait for someone to ask you. Also, rather then remembering the rough times from highschool, focus on your friends now and the great times you are having now. If you are starting to feel low, invite a friend over just to be with. Sometimes it helps take you mind off things if someone else can entertain you.

Hope things go well!
Take care,
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

Closed Thread