TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
michaell Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Michael

how to i get over aspergers. does anyone else heard of it. - December 17th 2009, 11:41 PM

i hate aspergers. it makes me have a hard time making friends because i am have a hard time reading facial expressions/vibes/social cues/ etc and i take everything literally . i was dxed this year. how do i make friends and get social skills?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: how to i get over aspergers. does anyone else heard of it. - December 18th 2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelme47 View Post
i hate aspergers. it makes me have a hard time making friends because i am have a hard time reading facial expressions/vibes/social cues/ etc and i take everything literally . i was dxed this year. how do i make friends and get social skills?
Hi michaelme47!!

I hope you're having a dandy day!!

I sympathize with what you are going through. It would be - no doubt - very frustrating at times to have something about you that interferes with your desire to live a so-called 'normal life'. Like all of us - you want to have friends - but aspergers keeps getting in the way. In some ways - I imagine - it would be like appearing to be 'not smart' - even though you're actually very smart. But no matter what you TRY to do - you keep coming across in a way that others can't help but misinterpret. It's not that you don't care - it's just that you [sometimes] appear NOT to care. It would also be very difficult - I imagine - to interpret things literally all the time. This is especially true given the fact that much of how we communicate with each other is NOT literal. For instance - if I said to someone on a very hot day that I was, "Boiling to death!!", they would know that I was simply exaggerating my reality. Through that exaggeration - I was trying to impress upon them just how hot I feel. For I am neither literally boiling OR dying. Is it even possible for a person who has aspergers to appreciate that? I don't know.

In my quest to learn more about what it is you are going through - I found a website that you might like to look at.

Click on the link below to see that website.

http://www.asperger-syndrome.me.uk/

According to the website I linked you to - the following people have Asperger Syndrome or a similar condition. Whether or not that's true - I don't know. But it's very possible.

Michael Palin [From Monty Python]
Bill Gates [Founder of Microsoft]
Afred Hitchcock [Very famous movie director]
Albert Einstein [Famous smart guy!]
Henry Cavenish [British Scientist who discovered Hydrogen]
Charles Darwin [Famous Scientist]
Satoshi Tajiri [Creator of Pokemon]
Jim Henson [Creator of 'The Muppets' - think Kermit the Frog/Miss Piggy]
Michelangelo [Famous painter, sculptor, architect, poet and engineer]
Wolfgang Mozart [Famous composer]
Woody Allen [Well known director/Actor]

The one thing you NEED to KNOW is that EVERYONE is dealing with something. We ALL have struggles in life. And even through some things - like aspergers - are with a person for life - that doesn't mean that someone with aspergers can't find a way to live their life in a way that gives them comfort, joy, peace and love.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: how to i get over aspergers. does anyone else heard of it. - December 19th 2009, 03:03 AM

I know a fellow who has Aspergers, I've known him for almost half my life now. He used to have alot of trouble making friends, but he's become better at it over the years. Unfortunately, this same fellow has gone through a few changes of persona over the years, I'm guessing to gain some sort of acceptance. But people started being nicer when they saw him for who he really is. Someone who likes drawing, singing (he performed at the school talent show with thunderous applause), writing stories and songs, and things like that.

Maybe you could look into an extra-cirricular activity that goes with some of your interests? That might help you meet people who like the same things as you, and it'd be easier to socialize. I have social anxiety issues, but I have a much easier time talking to people when there is something in common. So perhaps the same thing could work for you?

I wish you the best of luck.

Closed Thread