TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Helen... Offline
Hold On...
Average Joe

Name: Helen

Question Insomnia - January 9th 2010, 08:41 PM

Heyyyyy

Hope you're all having a good day

Riiight, basically I have mild insomnia which makes it reallllly hard to fall asleep at night and I was wondering if any of you lot had any advice or recomendations on what to use/take to make it easier for me to get to sleep.
I've tried lavender but it really doesn't help and my mom won't let me use meds from the doctor

Thanks in advice for any replies.

I'm medicated, how are you?

"Nothing's perfect but it has to be someday..."
-
Craig Owens

www.operationbeautiful.com <3

PM/VM me whenever

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Insomnia - January 10th 2010, 02:05 AM

Well Helen, I have major problems falling asleep as well.

Maybe you could think about what keeps you awake, and try to counter that. For example, I'm kept up by hypnogogoic hallucinations, I think they're called. It's like, as I'm still awake but trying to sleep, I have vivid nightmarish hallucinations. Not to mention, I hear things that aren't there (i.e. music, cars outside, people, MSN messages, etc.). And I find what helps me alot of the time (unless I'm really stressed out or distracted) is ambient music. I like it because it's noise to distract me from the other things, usually, and yet, it doesn't invoke more thought or anything.

If you'd like to talk further, or even get some links to Ambient online radio stations I commonly use, feel free to PM me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Exodus- Offline
Let The Bridges Burn.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Taylor.

Re: Insomnia - January 10th 2010, 02:10 AM

No medications from the doctor's worked on me, I tried so many, but they never worked. What ACTUALLY worked for me though, wasn't even from the doctor's. Try picking up magnesium from your local health store, and take one tablet 30 minutes before you go to bed. It works wonders. If one doesn't work on you, take another. But only two. No more.

"Men are like parking lots. The good ones are taken and the free ones are handicapped."
  Send a message via AIM to Exodus- Send a message via MSN to Exodus- Send a message via Skype™ to Exodus- 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Glass Slipper Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Insomnia - January 10th 2010, 02:28 AM

I've had insomnia for most of my life like since I was four...And have been on a shit laods of meds for it because if I don't take them then I am up all night and cannot sleep. Anyways I know you said you can't take pills from doctors but maybe you can try tylonal PMs or one of the other PM medicince that you get at any store.

We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
We are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.
Cause we are glass.
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Helen... Offline
Hold On...
Average Joe

Name: Helen

Re: Insomnia - January 10th 2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus- View Post
No medications from the doctor's worked on me, I tried so many, but they never worked. What ACTUALLY worked for me though, wasn't even from the doctor's. Try picking up magnesium from your local health store, and take one tablet 30 minutes before you go to bed. It works wonders. If one doesn't work on you, take another. But only two. No more.
Can you get magnesium tablets from the pharamist or are they from like herbal shops?

I'm medicated, how are you?

"Nothing's perfect but it has to be someday..."
-
Craig Owens

www.operationbeautiful.com <3

PM/VM me whenever

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Exodus- Offline
Let The Bridges Burn.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Taylor.

Re: Insomnia - January 10th 2010, 11:55 PM

You can get them at the pharmacy, or at herbal shops.

"Men are like parking lots. The good ones are taken and the free ones are handicapped."
  Send a message via AIM to Exodus- Send a message via MSN to Exodus- Send a message via Skype™ to Exodus- 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Jess

Re: Insomnia - January 11th 2010, 01:11 AM

Heyyy,

Well, like many others - I've had insomnia since before I can remember, honestly haha. One of the most common causes of insomnia is not enough excercise or a weird sleep schedule. So if you can't fall asleep, then don't. The next morning, if you can, go for a run, then force yourself to stay awake until atleast 9pm.

If that doesn't work then it's time to consult a doctor. Sleeping pills are nasty. They're not meant for the long-term, but I've been on Ambien CR or some form of medication since I was 14. I suggest only using that as a last resort, there are a lot of dangerous side-effects....and sometimes I try to cook food in my sleep

skydiversinreverse

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Johnny Walker Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Insomnia - January 11th 2010, 03:54 AM

I can relate, I have horrible insomnia, in fact my whole family does. I would advise against taking anything (even magnesium... no offence exodus). The best way to fall asleep is to have an active day, maybe try jogging, avoid naps throughout the day and also avoid stimulants like coffee, television, computers etc, for an hour before bed (you'll be so bored from reading your eyes will just shut in protest).

I have taken sleeping pills before and you wake up really late and end up more tired than if you had been in bed for half the time.

On nights i really cant sleep i try to do something productive like read, workout, do chores, walk my dogs, do homework, or go on this site.

Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.
Kurt Vonnegut
Be content with what you are, and wish not change; nor dread your last day, nor long for it.
Marcus Aurelius
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Winston Churchill

Closed Thread