TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
i_am_darrien Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Darrien

Help! I'm Socially Inept - January 20th 2010, 05:03 AM

About 2 1/2 years ago I was diagnosed with both Avoidant Personality Disorder and Bipolar Disorder(Which I think is misdiagnosed), does anyone know any tricks so that I can try to feel more comfortable in public or social situations. I only have two people in my life, other than first degree relatives that I can feel completely comfortable around. One is my boyfriend whom I have no intimate attachment to, and my bestfriend who has a mild social phobia. When I'm around anyone else, I get panicky, sometimes it gets so bad that I suffer from anxiety attacks. It restricts my life and I basically never go out of my house. I don't think I'm ugly and I find myself somewhat interesting, but I really believe others think terrible things about me. It bothers me more than anything in life and all I want is to be able to form relationships with other people. I wish I could just be myself instead of clamming up and then later freaking out.
The only way I can be more comfortable around people is if I use drugs that make me talk more, coke, oxy's(roxy's if you've heard of them), meth, etc.

Last edited by i_am_darrien; January 20th 2010 at 05:23 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help! I'm Socially Inept - January 30th 2010, 06:09 AM

First of all, stop the drugs, that will only make it worse.

Just google "How to love yourself" and there are several sites to help.

That is the first step to becoming comfortable around others.

Find a hobby and go to events where that hobby is practiced and get to know people. It just takes practice, I'm still practicing.

Good luck

"I'm tired, boss. Tired of bein' on the road, lonely as a sparrow in the rain. Tired of not ever having me a buddy to be with, or tell me where we's coming from or going to, or why. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?" -John Coffey (The Green Mile)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Help! I'm Socially Inept - January 30th 2010, 03:21 PM

Darrien,

You have a reason to be concerned with your diagnoses. The fact that you were diagnosed with a personality disorder at the age of fourteen is really worrisome. Personality disorders are not supposed to be diagnosed to anyone under the age of eighteen. And normally are not diagnosed in the teen years at all and are normally reevaluated in the early twenties. The same goes with bipolar, it is not easy to diagnose a teenager with bipolar. So the fact that you are questioning your diagnoses is a good thing, you should be concerned with it. The best thing for you to do would be to get a second opinion from another medical professional. Preferably a psychologist or psychiatrist. I don’t know which medical professional diagnosed you before, but hopefully you will get some answers the second time around.
Now I am sure you are well aware that the drugs you are taking are extremely dangerous and highly addictive. But if you are really serious about getting to the bottom of your diagnoses, you can’t be on drugs during the process. And I don’t mean literally on drugs in the doctors office, I mean been on drugs at all recently (within six months) of your meeting with a medical professional. While you are trying to self medicate with your drugs, they could be leading to your misdiagnoses, or a future misdiagnoses. And you won’t be able to be diagnosed, until six months after you have stopped taking them. They affect you that much. So I really hope you can stop this dangerous habit and get the support you need.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Help! I'm Socially Inept - January 30th 2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
Darrien,

You have a reason to be concerned with your diagnoses. The fact that you were diagnosed with a personality disorder at the age of fourteen is really worrisome. Personality disorders are not supposed to be diagnosed to anyone under the age of eighteen. And normally are not diagnosed in the teen years at all and are normally reevaluated in the early twenties. The same goes with bipolar, it is not easy to diagnose a teenager with bipolar.
Agreed. Especially Bipolar. I mean, teenagers normally have fluxuations in moods, it's natural. There are some things they will diagnose teenagers with, such as Depression. And in RARE cases, they can diagnose teens with Personality/Mood Disorders, but thats usually only under certain circumstances as well. But Lizzie is right, you do have good reason to question your diagnosis(es) *I don't know the plural form*.

Lizzie has the right idea, to go in, drug-free, to get a new evaluation and diagnosis. If you're on drugs, they'll just assume you're a druggie, and they won't treat you, usually. They'll just say "Oh, all your behaviour is from drugs" and not bother further looking into it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Help! I'm Socially Inept - January 30th 2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☣ ArcAngel ☣ View Post
If you're on drugs, they'll just assume you're a druggie, and they won't treat you, usually. They'll just say "Oh, all your behaviour is from drugs" and not bother further looking into it.
Well its not that they will just assume she is a “druggie” its just they can’t make an evaluation on a person who may or may not have a disorder, when the drugs could be effecting her moods, her actions and her personality. And hopefully, if they are a professional, they will try to get her help with her drug problems keep in contact with her, and reevaluate her once she has been drug free for six months. Then they will be able to start to see her real personality, moods and actions.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread