TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Not again, please not again :| - February 9th 2010, 09:29 PM

I can't deal with this >____< I find this really really hard to explain which is why I've never talked to a doctor about it before, if I can't explain it how will a doctor understand? Every now and then (every few months) I just feel really strange, everything feels quite surreal. It feels like I'm living my life through another person's eyes almost. Another thing is some days where I get this It'll feel different to other days where I've had it. What I'm feeling like right now is different to what I felt like the last time I had it (about 6 months ago) It just feels like everything's different and how I normally feel in day-to-day situations feels different. Right now it almost feels like I'm disconnected from everything. My perception feels kind of messed up. Gah >_____< I find it so hard to explain, so sorry if post is confusing. It normally goes away in a few days (sometimes after I go to sleep I'll feel a lot better) Idk :/

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Not again, please not again :| - February 10th 2010, 12:32 AM

Just say exactly that to your doctor. When you go see a doctor (especially for mental health reasons) they don't expect you to be able to explain everything perfectly. They don't expect you to be able to put your experiences into words. This is why your doctor will ask you questions.
Just the fact that you feel like something is wrong is all the explanation you need when you go see a doctor.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
should now be "VFRs rock"
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Not again, please not again :| - February 10th 2010, 06:11 AM

What's your mental state during the phase, calm and phased out or scared and anxious? Do you use any substances like alcohol, prescription drugs or "other"?

I am the Stig's brother in law.

Race me on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! My nickname is patrakoffman-64

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Not again, please not again :| - February 10th 2010, 09:12 AM

Normally really freaked out and anxious, but after a while I get a little used to it and feel a bit spaced out. I find it hard to stop thinking about it though as I want the feelings to go away.

I rarely drink alcohol and when I do it has never triggered these feelings. I've smoked weed a few times in the past but it has never triggered it either. I remember drinking 4-5 cans of red bull to try and keep myself awake and had it really bad once though :/ now I'm thinking about it that's the first time I've felt that way.

Edit:// Okay, I feel completely better now, thank Christ for that. I'm just worried it'll come back again >.> It all started yesterday in college, I was doing this business day thing. Everything started feeling strange in that classroom and I just really wanted to get out of there. My friend Amy helped me get out early because she thought I was just bored stiff. Once I got outside the fresh air made me feel great, I just got worse once I got home.

Last edited by Make Believe; February 10th 2010 at 11:16 AM.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Not again, please not again :| - February 11th 2010, 04:29 AM

Do you have a regular sleep schedule or is it a random type of thing? (I'm in university myself and my sleep schedule can get erratic sometimes)

From your red bull story I'm guessing no. Two things, don't drink that many chemical drinks at once, there is a reason that there's a posted limit on the can. Even the manufacturer says "Ahh don't drink this shit too often."
Try this: Drink water, and tea if you need a pick-me-up, for the next week, so no coffees or energy drinks or colas, and avoid highly processed foods. Also try a normal sleep schedule, 10-6/7 sorta thing. This should flush out your system and restore your body chemistry. If the symptoms persist, then we've eliminated a few variables. Avoid taking any pills for the time being.

Were there any perticular thoughts or feelings you had about anything during the class when it happened? Were you just focusing on the lecture or were you thinking of something else?

Last edited by Gixxers rock; February 11th 2010 at 03:25 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Not again, please not again :| - February 11th 2010, 01:03 PM

I just really wanted to get out of there. Nothing seemed right at all. I think a little bit sick too. My mind wasn't on the lecture at all, all I was thinking of was getting out of there.

I normally get to sleep at about 1:30am and wake up at 7:30am (on college days) or about 11:00am on weekends. I probably should sleep more on weekdays but most people my age sleep that amount and they're fine.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Not again, please not again :| - February 12th 2010, 05:01 AM

When did the feeling start? Before lecture, as soon as it began, a little ways in? Any particular thought patterns leading up to it? Any prevalent issues in your life at all that may have caused a strong psychological reaction? (stress, relationship conflicts, self-image, that kind of stuff is all fair game). Btw how long does this usually last?

It's a good a idea to try to be in bed by 12, if not 11. It's healthier and more productive to wake up earlier than go to bed late.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Not again, please not again :| - February 12th 2010, 11:26 AM

About an hour after the lecture started. If I'm left alone with my own thoughts that's normally when it starts :/ I was kind of anxious because we were meant to be doing a presentation once we finished, I hate speaking in public >.> They normally last from 3 hours to all day.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Not again, please not again :| - February 13th 2010, 07:26 AM

Well at this point anxiety could be a cause. I myself get pretty nervous before presentations because I stutter sometimes, even worse if I have to wait for my turn because then it's like an impeding doom. Unless you had very similar feelings with no anxiety involved you could probably write it off as a cause. Not that that solves the problem but it's a good start.

I'd write more but I'm on my iPod right now and typing is kinda irritating

Closed Thread