TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Antidepressants? :/ - February 19th 2010, 03:02 PM

I'm just wondering about antidepressants.. on Wednesday, my doctor gave me Citalopram to treat my depression and anxiety. She gave me a low dosage of 10mg every day, and said she would increase it in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone else had this? Has it worked for you?
For anyone who has used any other antidepressants - how have you found them?

So far, my sleeping hasn't been fantastic, and I've had basically a constant headache, as well as feeling like I'm a little high, and if anything I've been worrying more, although I don't think that's a side effect. I know they take a few weeks to kick in.

I'm just worrying a lot about going on antidepressants =/

I don't know. Any help, advice, experiences would be greatly appreciated. ♥

(#2 (permalink)) Old
UltraViolet Offline
Emotionally Unstable
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lea

Re: Antidepressants? :/ - February 19th 2010, 03:45 PM

Hi Alex,
so anti-depressants...Citalopram, yeah i've been on that one at least once, i think it might of been the first on i was put on, becasue it apparently works for quite a few people, not for me though.

thats one really important thing that you have to know, not all types will work for everyone, its trial and error alot of the time, the doctor wont know what will suit you untill you have taken it for a few months, hence y im now on my 6th type over 3 years...

also dosage differs between types, i've been started on a dose as low as 10mg, but with another to start i was on 70mg. it all varies, but they have to take into account how depressed you are, on there scale thing, from moderate to severe.
in my experience they tend to up the dose every month, so that your body can get used to them
they take about a month to get into your system, and a few more weeks for the side effects to stop.
and then they should start working, so dont worry if theres no immediate change straight away

Citalopram didnt work for me, but that doesnt mean it wont work for you.
i cant remember my side effects to them, but non have been that baad really.
sleep is always a problem for me, and also too much sleep, or not enough, is a sign of depression anyway, so thats hard to judge by anyone apart from you.

Anti depressants on the whole i havent found much of a help, but i think they might be doing something now, only because this time i kept takin them, and im on the highest dose.
just remember that if you do have any side effects like feeling suicidal or anything like that you must tell your doctor.
also do not just stop taking them without talking to your doctor first, becasuse complete withdrawal may make you more anxious/depressed/suicial/parnoid... any number of things.

Just take it as it comes, try not to worry, and talk to your doctor if you have any problems or worries about anything.
thats what their there for and the best people to help you

well done for going to them in the first place, i found that emmensly hard, i only began any sort of treatment 3 years ago, and i had SH issues and depression for 6 years before that, so well done alex
i'm not 'cured' but remember you are your own person, what works for one, might not work for another and vice versa.

stay strong
good luck
xxx

'thanks to you i never trusted...'
- Boy Kill Boy

This depression is a killer...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Reuben Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Reuben

Re: Antidepressants? :/ - February 19th 2010, 05:57 PM

Hi Alexx, I've never tried Citalopram but I have tried, and still am, on Escitalopram (Lexapro is it's trade and more well-known name). My psychiatrist is using it to treat the same thing as you - for anxiety and depression (I have anxiety disorder). I've been taking 10mg daily for over a year and it seems to be effective for me. I didn't really experience any side effects, except maybe some nausea but it only lasted for a few hours. However, it took about 2-3 weeks for it to have its full effect. I realised that I became less anxious and had depressed episodes that were less 'intense'. It also reduced the number of panic attacks I had. Since I started taking it, I've only one panic attack, compared to many before. Apparently, Lexapro is a new drug that seems to be a good one, although it can be a tad expensive. Thankfully, it's covered by the orgnisation I work for lol.

If the side-effects you're feeling continues on for more than a few days or reaches a stage where you feel you're not able to tolerate it anymore, I'd suggest that you go back to your psychiatrist and see if there are any other options for you to follow. The drug she prescibed you may not be the right one for you. Perhaps you could ask her for lexapro? lol just a suggestion. But anyway I hope you'll feel better soon. Just hang in there and everything will sort itself out sooner or later, I can attest to that, and remember that every problem has a solution. That's one comment my psychiatrist made that I'll remember for the rest of my life. Good luck and stay happy!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Antidepressants? :/ - February 19th 2010, 06:25 PM

i was on the 10mg dose of citalopram,i am now on 20mg or something like that.

as others have said,people react differently to medications. for me, i got a extremly dry mouth which got a chalk like texture to it, i felt sick and exhausted and often got severly depressed. this stopped after about 2-3 weeks and eventualy it helped my depression AND anxiety go down but i needed to be put on the 20mg dose for this to happen. the problems with this were worse, my depression practically went unless i had caffiene, energy drinks etc, this severly reacted to the tablets and made me hugely nervous. i could imagine this would happen if i drink alcohol too, but i don't luckily lol. my anger severly heightened when on the tablets higher dose. this still happens but i am now also on a different medication to calm me down aswell as the citalopram.

it is a good medication for me. may not work for everyone. i just advise you not to drink caffiene, alcohol or energy drinks. or try them, if you feel depressed or more anxious DON'T drink them again! it does seriously effect my medication, don't know if it will yours.

don't worry about it, not being able to sleep may be a reaction to the medication. may last for up to 2 weeeks,depends on your body.

i hope this help, and i hope the tablets help you

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Antidepressants? :/ - February 19th 2010, 06:55 PM

I'm not on the same medication, but I can say that I felt the same way you did about antidepressants. I wasn't a big fan of them, even though I could suggest them to other people.

After being on them for about a month now, I can honestly say they've made a huge difference. I'm enjoying things more, I'm more at eased, not as stressed, overall things got a lot better. Now obviously, bad days and things still happen, but I've been in a better state of mind. They will probably take a week or so to kick in and even longer to REALLY work, but that's fairly normal. If you don't notice any change, don't be afraid to mention this to your doctor. Antidepressants are fickle and interact with everyone differently, thus why there are so many different kinds.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Antidepressants? :/ - February 19th 2010, 07:19 PM

Hi Alex,

I have also been on Citalopram in the past, although I'm not exactly positive what the dosage was. I no longer use it because it was contributing to my mood swings, or so my psychiatrist suspected.

However, everyone reacts to medication differently. Everyone's brain works differently, so naturally each medication will have a different kind of impact. It also takes different amounts of time for your brain to react to the medication you are giving it. Most doctors will tell you that it takes about three to four weeks for any medication to work as effectively as it should. This was definitely the case with me, so you definitely need to remain patient and give the medication a chance.

I hope everything works out well! Don't hesitate to talk to your doctor if you have any questions, that's what they're there for.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Antidepressants? :/ - February 21st 2010, 05:26 AM

I have not taken Citalopram, however, I have done some university courses involved pharmacology. Generally, it takes around 2 weeks for the medications effects to be felt by the person, although that's usually the minimum so for some people they may require a longer amount of time. Your body will require some time to adjust to the medications so unless you experience lethal side-effects or the side-effects are so drastic that they're impairing your ability to function, then I'd say to stay on them.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: Antidepressants? :/ - February 21st 2010, 06:17 AM

Well, I have been on Prozac, Zoloft and generic brands of other SSRIs like yours. Not every depression medication works perfectly for every person. Sometimes you have to switch doses and brands to find what you need. That's why it's important for you to communicate with your doctor frequently and honestly.

There's nothing wrong with being on antidepressants. The only thing the SSRIs do is prevent the recycling of serotonin in your brain so that it can make more and more. Everybody needs help in one way or another. This is just the way that you need help and there's no shame in that.

"Life should not be measured by how far we can fall, but how high we can climb."

Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Re: Antidepressants? :/ - February 21st 2010, 07:43 PM

Thankyou everyone for your replies, I greatly appreciate all your help and information I definately feel more reassured about taking them.

I'm just.. worried, I think. My life for the past 4 years has been revolved around being paranoid, anxious, depressed, suicidal. Most of the time, thoughts related to this have consumed my mind.
And.. they'll go away now, sort of, won't they? As stupid as this sounds, I don't know what I'll do with myself.
I don't know how to explain. =/

When you come off antidepressants, do you go back to being unhappy? :\

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Antidepressants? :/ - February 22nd 2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
I'm just.. worried, I think. My life for the past 4 years has been revolved around being paranoid, anxious, depressed, suicidal. Most of the time, thoughts related to this have consumed my mind.
And.. they'll go away now, sort of, won't they? As stupid as this sounds, I don't know what I'll do with myself.
I don't know how to explain. =/

When you come off antidepressants, do you go back to being unhappy? :\
With psychiatry and psychopharmacology, it's really a toss in the air. You'll get the symptoms reduced, although to how much at what dose is hard to say. You cannot eliminate the disorder simply through medication but you can reduce the symptoms so much so that they don't affect you. However, they are only temporary "cures", lasting as long as you take the medications so for that reason it's generally combined with psychotherapy as it lasts much longer. The medications can make you more stable so it's easier to function while the psychotherapy helps you in the long-term and to stay on the medications. Eventually, in the ideal situation, you are taken off the medications and no longer have the symptoms.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
darknirvana Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Antidepressants? :/ - February 23rd 2010, 12:57 PM

I feel the same way I'm with you too alex. I'm going today to get some antidepressants for my wife leaving me I hope it works for me and you.

Closed Thread