TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LostHERmind Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I've officially decided. - February 22nd 2010, 01:48 AM

I have officially decided I'm going to make an appointment to see whats going on in my head- if anything is off and such.

So, I decide to do this- and then I torture myself. I've watched Girl Interrupted twice. Once was just after I decided I really should tell someone and thought about doing something. It was also because a bunch of my friends said it was a great movie. It is, but its terrible for me- it makes me nervous and wonder and just scared and worried.
So I watched that last night, and today I watched shows on people with OCD witch does the same thing and frightens me. Add on stress for being a grade 12 who needs 6 credits in one semester and is already failing hard, haveing a total dick friend who I friggin need because I am otherwise alone which is bad too, upcoming surgery on my eye, and just being nervous over finally deciding I need to get something done. I'm going absolutely I dont even know.

I'm listening to some really loud music but it wont really help either. I'll just keep getting into a worse and worse mood, and I'll keep lashing out and getting mad at my friends and stuff until I eventually have a shoutout with someone and end up sobbing for hours. And I cant do that anymore. I just cant.

Why do I always always do things bad for me? Because this is just going to trigger my imagination and then I'll start watching horror movies or something and just fall apart. >.>

I guess this is mostly I rant, but any tips on how to set up doc appointments and stuff would be great. I have no idea how to, and the desk lady at the hospital said I need to go through my GP first to see if he thinks I need a psych evaluation and all... >.>

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ox In A Box Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I've officially decided. - February 22nd 2010, 02:16 AM

As cliche as it may seem, realizing you need help is always the first step to recovery. Good for you! To answer your question, many times you need to see your GP to get a psych referral. So what you need to do is call your GP and schedule an appointment. At your appointment, tell your GP what's been going on and more than likely he will give you a referral to either a psychologist and/or a psychiatrist who will help you out. GPs do this all the time so they won't be unfamiliar with your situation.

Good luck!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LostHERmind Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I've officially decided. - February 22nd 2010, 02:24 AM

Okay, thank you. (:

Um... what do I have to say? Just "I think I need to see a psychologist"? or something?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: I've officially decided. - February 22nd 2010, 02:42 AM

Yep.

Your doctor may give you a written stress test or something else to fill out, but they will basically just refer you to psychologists/psychiatrists in your area. The more you can tell your doctor, the better they can fit you with reccomendations. If you think you may want to go on anxiety medication or antidepressants, make sure to let them know.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
LostHERmind Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I've officially decided. - February 22nd 2010, 03:07 AM

Okay, thanks. (:

This is solved I guess?

Closed Thread