TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
S_e_a_n Offline
UnAverage Joe
Welcome me, I'm new!

Looking for a therapist - February 23rd 2010, 03:28 AM

I'm currently looking for a therapist in the Chicago, USA area... The problem is that I don't exactly know how to look for a good one... I feel too awkward to ask someone in real life about it and I don't know how to look for one using a phone book or internet site... If anyone could give me a few tips on how to look for one or knows of one that is good please tell me...

Send a message via MSN to S_e_a_n  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Looking for a therapist - February 23rd 2010, 04:25 AM

Hey there,

The first thing I would suggest is looking into your insurance provider. The thing is that your insurance company will supply you with a list of therapists that they will approve of.

From there it is kind of a hit and miss. You have to call the therapists on your insurance list and tell them a bit about yourself and see if they will take you. Also, sometimes the therapists are full and are not accepting new patients.

Another thing is that when you call a therapist on your insurance list, if they are not seeing new patients, they will probably be able to give you some other names.

I know this probably is not all that much help but when it comes to finding a therapist you just have to keep on calling around and keep on trying until you find the right one.

If you ever need to chat feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Looking for a therapist - February 23rd 2010, 05:05 AM

Above all, make sure that the counselor you choose is licensed, either as an LPC, LCPC, or LCSW (if you think a diagnosis of a mental disorder, I'd recommend LCPC). There is an increasing number of people calling themselves "life coaches" who are effectively circumventing licensure, and they are really not qualified. As far as a website, this one looks like it might be helpful, just glanced at it:

http://www.goodtherapy.org/Chicago-Therapy.htm

Also, I know you aren't Christian (from looking at your profile), but ministers often times have close connections with counselors and talking to a clergy member might help you find a good one. Despite the "stigma" of Christian counseling as being counselors who will Bible thump you, many MANY people who are not Christian go to Christian counselors and benefit greatly. Ethics-wise, Christian counselor's CAN'T bible thump you so that shouldn't be a concern.

I'm about an hour and a quarter outside of Chicago and am going into counseling, so I am somewhat familiar with the area and places for counseling. If you have any additional questions, feel free to PM me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Looking for a therapist - February 23rd 2010, 05:32 AM

I think your doctor also may be able to help recommend a therapist to you, seeing as your doctor may have an idea of your mental needs to help you choose one thats (potentially) best for you.

Closed Thread