TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Anticonvulsants (lamictal) - February 25th 2010, 04:00 AM

Anyone tried them? My psychiatrist recommended them as a mood stabilizer as well as to help with headaches and concentration. Bringing my a/d total up to 3 (already on prozac and wellbutrin) is pretty much the last thing I want to do, but I guess it's worth a shot. Your thoughts? I know damn well I'm not bipolar...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Anticonvulsants (lamictal) - February 25th 2010, 04:05 AM

I'm not on lamictal, but I'm on epival which is another anticonvulsant that they use for bipolar. If you have bipolar I would say try it, if you don't then I would question why you're being told to try it in the first place. I think you need to sit down and have a chat with your psychiatrist about what exactly it is you think needs to be medicated and what doesn't, and if they think you have bipolar but you don't then it's ultimately your call.
I don't see how it would help with your headaches or concentration though, unless those were directly linked to you being bipolar.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Anticonvulsants (lamictal) - February 25th 2010, 04:09 AM

Honestly, I have no clue. I've been to four different psychs in the last six months and this is the first who mentioned lamictal. She also thinks I damaged my brain through alcohol abuse, even though I only drank heavily for 3 or 4 months. So, one of us is crazy, not sure who

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ox In A Box Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Anticonvulsants (lamictal) - February 25th 2010, 08:34 PM

Lamictal has many uses; bipolar disorder is one of them. It can also be used for seizures, trigeminal neuraglia, migraines, and other headaches. I would not jump to the conclusion that your doctor thinks you're bipolar, but I'm not your doctor so you'll have to ask to be sure.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Anticonvulsants (lamictal) - February 26th 2010, 07:21 PM

Hey there,

I haven't personally been prescribed any anticonvulsants and so I can't really give you any information from my own experience. However, it seems as though you're slightly unsure about taking this medication for a few different reasons.
I'd suggest that you talk to your psychiatrist about the reasons why they want you to take this medication and what benefits they believe it will have for you. If you're against the idea of taking Lamictal then do feel free to tell them that you're not confident about trying it out.

Take care.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Anticonvulsants (lamictal) - February 26th 2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggusdickus View Post
Honestly, I have no clue. I've been to four different psychs in the last six months and this is the first who mentioned lamictal. She also thinks I damaged my brain through alcohol abuse, even though I only drank heavily for 3 or 4 months. So, one of us is crazy, not sure who

Kind of off the topic, but to make a point

. In her defense, she has a point. Brain damage from alcohol depends on how much you drink, not for how long. 3 or 4 months isn't that long, but if you were drinking heavily enough, that's about all it takes. If you think she's just shooting the wind, then ask for a brain scan of some sort. If there's damage, it'll show. (:
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
nobody123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Anticonvulsants (lamictal) - February 27th 2010, 06:15 PM

Hey. seems we have been in similar situations. my medication history is rather long and complicated. I started off on Lexapro. When my psychiatrist/therapist and I felt it wasn't helping, my psychiatrist decided to put me on Cymbalta. I had a horrible reaction to Cymbalta.. I had horrible mood swings and I would get really hyper. Since I had this sort of "Bipolar II" reaction to Cymbalta, my psychatrist prescribed Lamictal as an antidepressant because she thought maybe it would work better than traditional SSRIs because of my reaction to the Cymbalta.
All I really remember is that it was terribly annoying to get on. It took about 6 months to get to the proper dosage because you have to increase very very slowly due to the extremely rare risk of some serious side effect. Once I was on it I didn't feel much different. Looking back I guess it stabilized my moods a bit and perhaps helped my depression, but overall it wasn't helping enough for me to stay on it. I'm not sure it helped any more or less than Lexapro, or Prozac which I'm on right now.

Overall I have no negative things to say about it other than you need to be patient getting on it. I'm not sure if it really helped me or not, but then again I'm not sure any med can really help me. I would say it's worth a try because it may help you.

As for my concentration, that's a huge issue with me too, I think because I'm so depressed. I've been on a low dose of Adderall and Vyvanse off and on to help with my concentration even though I don't have ADHD. It does help but its only a temporary fix.

PM me if you have any more questions or want to talk.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Vehemence Offline
Too cool for a title.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Haha. Jesus.

Re: Anticonvulsants (lamictal) - February 27th 2010, 06:33 PM

Speaking from my own personal experience with Lamictal I can say that it did wonders on depression and my poor attention span. But there are some possible side effects which, although rare you might want to look into:

epilepsy.emedtv.com/lamictal/lamictal-side-effects.html

Good luck and I hope lamotrigine works out for yah.

And who is this pure fool?
Lo, in the Sagas of old time,
Legend of scald, of bard, of druid,
cometh he not in green like Spring?
O thou great fool,
Thou Water that art Air,
in whom all complex is resolved!
  Send a message via AIM to Vehemence  
Closed Thread