TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Have you ever been judged for your disorder? - February 26th 2010, 02:54 AM

Read the parts in bold to get the summary. xD

Does anyone else feel that there are so many misunderstandings when it comes to mental health disorders?

I ask this because I feel that they are so often underestimated in severity. People just don't realize how debilitating they are when people are affected by them. I'm confident when I say that almost everyone affected by a mental health disorder has felt the pressure to just "snap out of it." Just shake off the depression and move on, just pull through the social anxiety and not let it hold you back. Does anyone realize how difficult it really is?

I understand that people don't often completely "get" things unless they themselves have dealt with the same issues, but couldn't they keep their judgments and opinions to themselves if this is the case? Couldn't they at least make an EFFORT to understand? Especially when you're officially diagnosed by a medical professional - how can they feel that they know more than a doctor?

Anyways, just wondering what all of your opinions are. Share the times in which you have felt misunderstood or judged when it comes to your mental health disorder.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Have you ever been judged for your disorder? - February 26th 2010, 04:24 AM

Well, although I don't have a diagnosed disorder of any sort, I have alot of symptoms of some. I've explained all this before. But anyways...

So people who know of my possible problems seem to act like everything I do wrong is because of my mental status, and its almost like they pity me, it seems.

People who don't know, well, sometimes they treat me fucking weird based on some of my weird behaviours, moodswings, reactions, etc.

I do know the feeling of having some people treat me different based on disabilities, without legitimately having any.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Have you ever been judged for your disorder? - February 26th 2010, 05:12 AM

Yes! Well, my roommate had psychological disorders and I half expected her to just snap out of it and be normal the next day. Sometimes it almost seemed like she had...

As for me, well, not really. Sometimes anxiety gets me and people tell me to suck it up (including myself) but, I feel like it's never that judgmental, just a little ignorant. I think with mental disabilities, they are a lot harder to accept and be understanding toward because we are in no way conditioned socially to do so--or at least that's my theory. With physical disabilities, it's OBVIOUS that a one eyed person cant suck it up and see as well as a two eyed person, or a one legged person run as fast as a two legged person, but with mental disabilities--they're not always blatantly obvious so understanding and compassion is a lot harder to achieve.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Have you ever been judged for your disorder? - February 26th 2010, 11:43 AM

I'm going to say yes. I went to my doctor a year ago directly following an attempt to tell him I was feeling low, all he told me was to grow up. Now I'm on antidepressants. There has been a few cases with friends thinking that I will just *snap out of it* or making rude comments. I guess if people have never been in that situation themselves you cannot expect them to understand.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Have you ever been judged for your disorder? - February 26th 2010, 02:17 PM

I know totally how you feel =(. Thing is, I found out a few months back that half of my roleplaying society seems to know about my attempt...but then again, my flatmate, who's in it, was one of the people who helped me into the ambulance. I remember when we were discussing the psychological makeup of a particular character in the game who had her own sets of issues, when I came to the subject of self-destructive tendencies, the whole atmosphere changed and everyone was trying not to look at me, in a glaringly obvious way that almost made me want to just facepalm. I just pretended I didn't notice......

But my parents, my Mum in particular has a tendency to just say "Yeah, whatever," or "oh, that old excuse" and my Dad will keep finishing my sentences with "Oh, is that since you're too depressed?" and roll his eyes..

So yeah...people can be either just a bit judgemental, or downright dicks...

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Have you ever been judged for your disorder? - February 26th 2010, 07:17 PM

Hey there Amanda!

You may want check out [this sticky] which also asks "
Have you faced any discrimination for being mentally ill?"

Honestly, a lot of my friends and teachers don't understand the problem that I have at all. They all seem to believe I'm being lazy and that I should be able to just 'cheer up'. I absolutely despise that attitude and it really annoys me that a large majority of people seem to think that way. I wouldn't say that I've particularly been 'judged' - I mean my friends make jokes about me being 'crazy', but they're all in good humour and I know that they're not being serious at all - but people are ignorant when it comes to disorders. Then, there are some people simply cannot understand, though I do think it must be difficult to understand if you've never been in that situation.

Take care, Amanda!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: Have you ever been judged for your disorder? - February 26th 2010, 07:20 PM

I think about that quite often, too. They don't understand anything about mental disorders at all, though. I've been thinking about how to make people more aware - I go to an old class of mine in high school sometimes and talk about this website and the problems that millions of teens go through. They need to wake up.

I know this is a really common misconception, but when I was a self-injurer, there were many who believed that it was just for attention. That's my experience.

"Life should not be measured by how far we can fall, but how high we can climb."

Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Make A Wish ☼
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lacey

Re: Have you ever been judged for your disorder? - February 26th 2010, 07:27 PM

Hey Amanda,

I agree with you. How is it that people do feel they have more understanding over our moods then a doctor. It just isn't right, or fair.

I had a friend who, ironically had depression, and she said something like, "Why are you dam depressed all the time!" Well, excuse me for having a disorder. Personally, when people judge me I usually just ask them if they ever had the flu, or a cold. And, in a mocking tone say, "Why were you sneezing all the time!" It actually has opened a few eyes of my friends. It's not like I'm trying to be sad, and it's not like they are trying to get sick.

I'm sorry if you have encountered areas in your life where people have judged you. I know it isn't easy. Like you said, a lot of times people say that "you don't understand mental health disorders unless you have one." So, just remember that they are open minded, and they obviously aren't. If your friends are judging you, maybe they aren't the best friends to have in your life.

Life is to short to put it off anymore
You gotta live it before itís too late
I canít turn that clock back around
On what youíre dreaming about
You better do it now, donít wait

Do something crazy and dumb, while your still young. <3

Need to talk? I'm here. --->
  Send a message via MSN to *~Circus Clown~*  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Have you ever been judged for your disorder? - February 26th 2010, 07:53 PM

I hate how my parents act during my down moments, really. Like, my mom acts as if money can buy my happiness. If she buys me stuff, suddenly I won't have down moments anymore. Doesn't work that way.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Have you ever been judged for your disorder? - February 26th 2010, 10:07 PM

I find that so many people just think I'm a typical teenager who feels down some of the time, I have been told several times that I'm "too young to have depression" and that I should "get over it". Its beyond frustrating sometimes.

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#11 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Have you ever been judged for your disorder? - February 27th 2010, 08:47 PM

I understand exactly what you mean. People don't realise that you can't snap out of a mental illness, just like you can't snap out of a physical illness. And that just because you can't SEE the illness, it doesn't mean it isn't there and isn't serious!

I don't really broadcast my problems to other people, for exactly that reason. They would be judgmental and wouldn't understand, even if they pretended to. I too am of the opinion that you can't understand something completely unless you've been through it yourself. This is true of medical professionals also. Just because they've read a few textbooks doesn't mean they know how you feel.

I feel embarassed by my mental problems, because I feel like they make me look self-obsessed or something. Or that I'm attention-seeking. I'm honestly not. I have Aspergers, depression and OCD is lurking dormant in the background. That's just the way it is. But people don't understand how bad it's been for me. How I never used to leave the house for fear of what might happen to me. And I wouldn't want them to know, because they'd probably pity me and not trust me anymore - "Oh she's an irresponsible nutcase, don't leave her alone with the kids".

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Have you ever been judged for your disorder? - February 27th 2010, 10:49 PM

I think there will always be stigma around mental health disorders. It is the same with Teenage pregnancy, Sexual Health issues etc. People are scared of the unknown. So they see it as instantly "bad". People also naturally find humour from traits that they don't have. For example OCD is funny to a lot of people, but to sufferers it is a nightmare.

The only way to combat stigma is to educate people. That being said, the only exception that I've found is my Synesthesia (tasting colours etc.). Lots of people find that interesting and wish they had it.

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Have you ever been judged for your disorder? - February 28th 2010, 10:46 AM

Oh, I've been judged a lot for my illnesses. People think i'm attention seeking when I have panic attacks, or run out of the room because I feel too clasutrophobic. When I have flashbacks people wonder why I 'don't talk to them' and have a go at me for sitting there screaming or something.
I'm apparently now known at my college for being 'the girl with a face like a slapped a*se', nice isn't it?
Apparently I'm just faking my whole illness to just get attention, just because I won't actually tell them what's wrong; and they wonder why I won't?

Closed Thread