TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lovechild777 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Mindie

Psychologist - March 8th 2010, 07:09 AM

So my mum gave me some numbers for some psychologists that she reckons would be good for me to see and theres this one lady that ive heard is good. but im scared to call up. i mean, what if im just blowing my issues out of proportion? and she doesnt want to talk to me at all? what if im too young to see her? i just turned 18. and also, what if she cant handle the stuff i tell her? like what if she says she has to tell my mum or somethiing? fml. please help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Psychologist - March 8th 2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovechild777 View Post
So my mum gave me some numbers for some psychologists that she reckons would be good for me to see and theres this one lady that ive heard is good. but im scared to call up. i mean, what if im just blowing my issues out of proportion? and she doesnt want to talk to me at all? what if im too young to see her? i just turned 18. and also, what if she cant handle the stuff i tell her? like what if she says she has to tell my mum or somethiing? fml. please help.
First of all, let me say i'm 17 and have not been turned down to speak to a psychologist. i've got my meeting today and i'm pretty nervous. my issues aren't as huge as some people out there but they have still took them seriously and have agreed i need help. thats my experience.

I think it's a fantastic idea that you might see one.psychologists deal with all sorts of problems,they will listen to you and will refer you to someone else if you need some other sort of therapy. i say phone them up, if your nervous then mabye get your mum to phone up. its a very good idea though

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Psychologist - March 8th 2010, 03:11 PM

Everything you're feeling, the psychologist will have heard before! Remember, she does this for a living. And going to therapy isn't easy, so many people have these same fears and questions beforehand. There's no such thing as problems "too small". People go to therapy for all sorts of reasons. And, you're not blowing your problems out of proportion--you're just worried that you are. We tend to doubt ourselves, and that's okay....that's part of what she will be there for, to validate your issues for you and tell you that they ARE legitimate and you're not making them up or whatever.

You can ask her about confidentiality when you see her--but if you're 18, I believe that she needs to keep everything you say confidential. The one exception to that is if she has reason to believe that you're an immediate danger to yourself or an immediate danger to someone else. But again, you can ask her all of these questions and find out all of the information.

I'm so glad you're going to see someone--it can be scary to think about, but once you go, your nerves will calm down! Good luck

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Psychologist - March 8th 2010, 07:35 PM

Hey there,

I understand how you are feeling. I know the first time I had to look for a therapist I was scared out of my mind. I thought all the things you did. And then I told myself that if I felt the need for a therapist than there was something there that needed to be worked on and the therapist will see it too.

Now, this lady that you are interested in might not be able to see you or she might but the only way you are going to know is by calling her. Tell her the truth and go from there. She is not going to turn you away completely. I promise.

While looking for therapists I got turned down a few times. One lady wasn't seeing new patients. One did not think that she would be the right fit for me. However, each person gave me the name of other therapists they felt would be helpful and in the end I was able to find someone.

The thing is, you are trying to help yourself and that is a great thing. Do not be discouraged by the fact that you might not be 'sick' enough or whatever. If you have things that are bothering you than they are important.

Please hang in there and best of luck,

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ilovemyboxofchocolateslif e<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nev

Re: Psychologist - March 8th 2010, 08:18 PM

We feel what we feel; don't worry about thinking that you're blowing things out of proportion. If it's how you feel, you're not.
At eighteen, you're old enough to do most anything so you're certainly not too young. As for her not being able to handle what you have to say (a consideration which proves that you're not blowing things out of proportion), that's her job. It wouldn't be her job if helping people wasn't what she wants to do. And besides, she's been trained for all of this; I doubt there's anything you could say to her that she just couldn't handle. Especially if you hear that she's really good (which suggests that she has experience)
And being a legal adult, she can't tell your mother anything. You'll have a confidentiality agreement all set up before you have to say anything. If you have any questions about that, you can address them when you make the call <3. There's absolutely nothing to loose by calling; everyone who she sees has called her, or else someone's called on their behalf. It's perfectly natural to be afraid, but calling and setting an appointment is a part of it all. Besides, if you choose not to have sessions with her after all (or even if you do), then what harm could the call have done? It can only help <3
Go for it =]

if i've ever learned anything, it's to be loved.
funny how accepting and allowing that can be so hard,
when loving someone else can be so easy.
the thing is, we accept exactly what we think we deserve,
no matter what that may be.
so i'm thinking it's time to change our mindsets;
if we haven't yet figured out that we deserve the best,
then it's certainly time.
think about it ;]
<3
love,
Nev

(#6 (permalink)) Old
lovechild777 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Mindie

Re: Psychologist - March 9th 2010, 06:08 AM

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'm planning on calling her tomorrow.

Closed Thread